Railroad Forums 

• Delair bridge stuck

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#896522  by BuddSilverliner269

The Hill track does not connect to the River Line. The track that comes off the NEC at Ham and loops around near Enterprise avenue and runs along route 1 to the connection to the River Line is the track in question and it was severed at State street I believe right next to the approach signal to the River Line.
 #896540  by pumpers

BuddSilverliner269 wrote:The Hill track does not connect to the River Line. The track that comes off the NEC at Ham and loops around near Enterprise avenue and runs along route 1 to the connection to the River Line is the track in question and it was severed at State street I believe right next to the approach signal to the River Line.
Got it. Wonder why they did that. And probably we can't drive by and check unless we are willing to dig it out of a foot or snow . JS
 #896568  by JJMDiMunno

BuddSilverliner269 wrote:The Hill track does not connect to the River Line. The track that comes off the NEC at Ham and loops around near Enterprise avenue and runs along route 1 to the connection to the River Line is the track in question and it was severed at State street I believe right next to the approach signal to the River Line.
Hi Budd,
When was that done? See the below screen capture from a birds eye overview at State Street, Trenton. I don't see any severance.

Is it severed somewhere outside of this frame? If so, where exactly? It's also possible that it was severed after these overviews were shot - I'm not sure exactly when this overview was done, although the image itself notes 2010.

Mike DiMunno
Attachments:
Trenton.jpg
Trenton.jpg (231.65 KiB) Viewed 4760 times
 #896605  by pumpers

Now that we are talking about it, I seem to recall something being posted about it being cut a year or so ago,
I'll have to search if I can find it. JS
 #896607  by BuddSilverliner269

Hello JJ I don't know exactly when it was done but I'd say at least a year. Its 1 piece of rail thatwas removed I think. Now I guess I will have to wait til this damn snow thaws to take a picture of what I'm talking about. I believe its the state street crossing. Its at the crossing where the approach signal stands. Being a rsilroader I have a keen eye for these things. I could've sworn it was a topic of discussion on here awhile back as well..
 #897535  by EDM5970

I just drove down E. State St., and with all the snow I really could not tell if a rail had been removed or not. However, there was a blue flag displayed about a car length South of the yellow approach signal. Seems to me, though, that if a rail had been lifted, that signal should be a stop signal, if it is indeed capable of displaying red.

Maybe I'll take another look, IF the snow ever goes away-
 #897912  by MedicSutton

I remember bringing this up a year and a half ago.. Conrail I believe owns the bridge and I was told they routinely inspect and make repairs but swear its in great condition.. I could also be wrong but is conrail not a publicly traded corporation? I think someone else should really be making that call.. A decision needs to be made now as to how best replace that bridge so that when the cards fall(excuse pun) we still have a way to move people and commerce between southern PA and Jersey.. There are so many reasons why we need a viable bridge there.. Bandaids will only work so long..
 #1269451  by pumpers

I was in Trenton coming from the train station 2 weeks ago and checked up on this. Just south of State St. (across from the federal courthouse) there is still one section of rail which has been removed. I can't remember if it is still laying there or not. (If it was, it's hard to believe no one has carried it off for scrap!) JS
 #1269483  by kilroy

If it was, it's hard to believe no one has carried it off for scrap!)
Well it's not like a couple of guys can pull up with a pickup truck, jump out and throw it on the bed an drive off. Tie plates and spikes are a different matter
 #1269556  by trackwelder

kilroy wrote:
If it was, it's hard to believe no one has carried it off for scrap!)
Well it's not like a couple of guys can pull up with a pickup truck, jump out and throw it on the bed an drive off. Tie plates and spikes are a different matter
the hell they couldn't. one of the older signal guys at inepta told me about an emergency he was called out to on the chestnut hill west line in the early 80's; the signal dumped. as they were pulling up to the offending signal there were four guys pushing a rail section down the road on top of six shopping carts about a quarter mile away. granted, that sounds a little unbelievable, but i've seen with my own eyes a single guy go through the fence at the back of elmwood streetcar depot to drag a twelve foot switch point across the NEC to a scrap yard on the other side.
 #1271321  by pumpers

bystander wrote:Is the dElair bridre stuck again. I thuoght they just fixed it.
It's not stuck. I just posted again (after 3 years with no posts in this thread) that the Enterprise branch in Trenton, which theoretically could connect south Jersey to north Jersey if the Delair bridge went out, still has a piece of rail disconnected in Trenton. JS