Railroad Forums 

• CMSL service Rio Grande to Cape May

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1342659  by glennk419

It seems that the City of Cape May is trying to use eminent domain or squatters rights or whatever you want to call it to put a parking lot over the tracks at the Cape May Transportation Center.

There's only one problem:

Fair use quote:
Cape May wants to turn unused train tracks into parking lot

CAPE MAY — The city wants to turn unused train tracks at the Cape May Transportation Center into a new parking lot, but the owner of the railroad may derail the plan.
Plans to fill in the tracks with gravel or asphalt to create as many as 30 new parking spaces were announced at a City Council meeting Tuesday. Summertime parking is at a premium in this seashore resort, and the city is always trying to squeeze in new spaces anywhere it can.

The only problem is nobody contacted Tony Macrie, who heads Cape May Seashore Lines and has a lease for the track from NJ Transit until July 31, 2029.
Full story: http://www.pressofatlanticcity.com/news ... l?mode=jqm
 #1342737  by johnnyloco

8/6/2015

WPCA51 delivered three empty covered hoppers for sand loading today in Tuckahoe then picked up roughly 49 tank cars that were in storage and three loaded sand hoppers from the CMSL. Here they are on the Cape May Branch getting ready to head north while the CMSL waits on the main with the three empties.

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=4264430" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

John D.
 #1342770  by wolfboy8171981

johnnyloco wrote:8/6/2015

WPCA51 delivered three empty covered hoppers for sand loading today in Tuckahoe then picked up roughly 49 tank cars that were in storage and three loaded sand hoppers from the CMSL. Here they are on the Cape May Branch getting ready to head north while the CMSL waits on the main with the three empties.

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=4264430" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

John D.
How can the CMSL occupy the main if the Form D is for the CA51?
 #1342803  by Jeff Smith

I think at this point, as site admin, and after consultation with David, that I'm going to lock this thread, and start some new ones. I tried to edit it but there's too much to go through. And I think David has done a good job of cleaning up the inflammatory stuff already.

Threads regarding tourist operations (and I know that CSML is more than just that) tend to attract nonsense in the manner of "they should do this, they should do that" and score settling. My conversation with David was eye-opening. I've had one other thread like this over the years where some critic or gadfly thinks they can do it better. CSML as far as I understand is not a not-for-profit, and is funded from private dollars. The owner has the right to operate it as they see fit. If you want to critique as a consumer, that's one thing. But the sharp-shooting has the potential to damage a private operation with unfounded allegations, and that's not what this forum is for.

It's not a free speech issue; this forum is privately owned and operated, and I'm the part-time admin. It's not worth my time, or the time of the volunteer moderators who perform an often thankless job, to put up with the hassle, the name-calling, the score-settling, and the woe is me claims. It doesn't mean you can't post critiques or suggestions; in this case a few users have transcended that. So we'll start anew and hope it works fine. David and I will keep an eye on things to make sure it doesn't recur, and hopefully going forward we'll all have a pleasant experience.

If you do have concerns about the policies or moderation, please PM us. Doing so in the threads distracts from the discussion.

Thanks all for your patience. This is something I should have dealt with a long time ago, and I appreciate all of David's input.