Railroad Forums 

• "RAILS-N-SHAFTS" SPECIAL "STORE CLEARING" SALE

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#796245  by Otto Vondrak

As some of you may know, the popular owner Paul A. Kuehner of "Rails-n-Shafts" in Pennsylvania passed away earlier this month. They will be having a special liquidation sale where many new, used, and rare railroad books will be available at bargain prices! Saturday, May 1 and Saturday, May 29. Visit their web site for details.

http://www.rails-n-shafts.com/

We are saddened by the loss of our father, who was well known throughout the railroad community. Daughter Beth and son Joel are committed to continuing the book business and ask for your patience and understanding as they work to assume the responsibility of providing great service to the railroading community.

We would appreciate your continued support - should you want to place an order for a book we stock, please call us at 610-261-0133 or email.

The Rails-N-Shafts store will be open Saturday May 1st, 2010. Hours are from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. A newly-stocked room awaits you - we have stuffed it from floor to ceiling with books related to trains, canals, trolleys, mining, collieries, etc., etc., etc. along with thousands of pieces of ephemera, memorabilia and art all for $5.00 per book or item! Trust us - you will not want to miss this event as it will be the talk of the railroad community for years to come. Thousands of rare, out of print, original, one-of-a-kind books have been placed in this $5 per book or item sale. We will close from May 2nd until May 28th, using these days to completely re-stock the store with rare, out of print, original, one-of-a-kind books in order to hold a second sale on Saturday, May 29th from 10 a.m. until 4 p.m.
 #796302  by cjvrr

Otto,

From what I have read it is NOT a store closing sale, more of a store cleaning sale. As the press release states, Mr. Kuehner's children are planning to continue the book sale business.

Chris
 #801596  by mrtransportation

To find out real story what was going on. Desided called them up on monday April 26 and talked to his son. And he told me they plan to do four more times once a month sales next few months to reduce there inventory and also relate from Laury Station, PA to Lewisburg, PA and only do mailorder/online only and not have a store to stop at and not do any more shows as well. Another note I will say is some of the more expensive books will not be going for $5 bucks like most people might think, but might reduce the price of the other books they have like there dad did in the past. But don't hold me to that.
 #802625  by mrtransportation

I think I saw you Tom, but not sure. I know I was there today at or before 10 am and there was alot of people there before me. If any of you that did go there today I was the guy wearing the Black Caterpillar hat. It was really nice that alot of people came to buy books and other items from them. I know I am going back there again at end of May to buy some more items. I know Paul's kids will do a great job like there dad did selling books and everything else.
 #802773  by Jtgshu

I was there too at that time, I was amazed at how much stuff was there.....I wouldn't mind taking home that Chevy though - HAHHA

I picked up "The Science of Railways" collection, and Triumph IX and a few other things....

All and all, I spent much more than I wanted to, but oh well....it was a good time!!
 #803379  by Tom_E_Reynolds

Yes, it was interesting...

I took home 10 boxes of magazines, $5 for each box....I am now the proud owner of almost every edition of TRAINS Magazine from 1958 - 1980. Plus more Railfan, Railpace, and other NRHS mags then I know what to do with. It will take me a year just to catalog it all!

They had boxes and boxes of old Reading and LV timetables, work rules books, etc etc. Most of it was old and moldy, but thats how some of us like it!
 #803387  by mrtransportation

Tom,

Funny thing about Saturday at Rails-n-Shafts. I was talking to you when you were going to get your car after told them which boxes you were buying. I think told you or someone helping out that I had every Railpace in binders.
Last edited by mrtransportation on Mon May 03, 2010 9:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
 #803429  by Otto Vondrak

I had to miss this sale and will miss the next sale, but I hope they will do other inventory sales in the future so I can take home my own piece of history from Paul's shop!

-otto-
 #814147  by Otto Vondrak

mrtransportation wrote:I just want to make correction on my last post. That Rails-n-shafts was going to have couple more times they were plan to be open, but instead on May 29 was last time they will be open at the house. Sorry for misinformation that posted.
Yeah, that stinks, I missed both sales.