Railroad Forums 

• NS Merchants Spur (Secaucus) paved over

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#788692  by R36 Combine Coach

The NS Merchants Spur has had the crossings paved over at Secaucus Road and American Way. Apparently there is no more traffic since the ShopRite warehouse at the end of the track has been closed and demolished. The crossbucks still remain.

Secaucus Road
American Way
American Way
 #789643  by bigkidtrainz31

wow, guess that's the end of that,
at least up to that point...
i wonder if they still use some of
track closer to Croxton to shove
some extra cars once in a while.
they'd done that a few years back,
i remember...
my company had moved from the area
back in Jan., so i wasn't aware...
thanks for sharing 36...
peace,
 #792453  by Tom_E_Reynolds

They do look almost brand new, and in great condition, relative to a grade crossings life span.

Its unbelievable that it makes "business sense" to rip something like that out? I mean, surely its a marketing advantage to the leaser of those buildings to market them as "rail accessible"? Or even the town, who would get tax revenue from the companies?

Or am I wrong?

I understand sometimes why spurs and branches are ripped up, as it might not make business sense by the railroad to rehabilitate a line or a switch with little or no traffic. But why do that in an industrial zoned area that clearly has a potential for rail traffic? Its clear to me from looking around that this area is zoned for industrial/commercial uses, and that rail could be selling point?

Or is the use/demand for rail so bad in NJ that any chance the railroads get, they will abandon and rip out track?

Is there some larger policy in effect here, that says all freight via rail in NJ is dead?
 #792514  by JimBoylan

New Jersey railroad taxes are so high, and they are even higher on railroad land that is neither Main Line nor Branch Line. An aggressive tax collector might try to claim that a line with no traffic is to be taxed at the higher rate used for other railroad land. This is based on my experience with The Shore Fast Line's real estate taxes in 1984.
 #793677  by sullivan1985

I'm not going to look for it now because I'm on a mobile phone, but there is a great picture of an NS local pulling cars over the line. The engine is leaning so far to one side that it looks like it should be falling over into a drainage ditch.

I think Anthony Paci took the photo.
 #794055  by airman00

I see in those photo's a building with an old rail siding. What would happen if that business decided they want rail service, since they already have an intact siding?
 #795251  by dano23

As far as most of the sidings there, they all go to buildings that really aren't the "boxcar" kind of businesses. Most of the companies there are clothing warehouses for various designers and store chains. What most people forget is that a majority of these companies are indirectly served by rail receiving their merchandise in containers which can be traced back to Croxton or the Port.