Railroad Forums 

• Closter northern branch observations...

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#849026  by Steve F45

Chrisgr wrote:
airman00 wrote:About what time? I might be in closter tomorrow, maybe in my work travels I might see the train.

I wouldn't count on them going to Closter tomorrow. If they were to go to Closter, most likely it would be on a Tuesday. They usually get to Englewood between 8:30 and 9:00 AM. I didn't see them today, but yesterday they had the 8447.
ok so it was 8447 and not 8444.
 #852810  by Chrisgr

Steve F45 wrote:where is cove in northvale? I had driven up there last week and went up as far as Rockleigh. The tracks up there look like they had been ridden over. The rust was clear in some areas.

Take Livingston Street to Pierron Street. When you cross the tracks it's off to the left.
 #852872  by airman00

Also their siding is directly behind the Ace hardware store. I saw maybe a couple of months back what looked like 6+ box cars on the siding. I've also seen just one boxcar as well. So their car amount varies, but at least there still an active customer.
 #856274  by Chrisgr

nayaugpark52 wrote:
Chrisgr wrote:Caught the C777 at Closter Tuesday September 21, 2010.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.p ... 354&nseq=0
Cool picture. Do they always run a caboose like that? If we get anything on the Old Gloucester branch it's just one of those platform things.

I don't know. I've only seen it a few times in Closter and it had the caboose each time. I'm sure someone else here knows better.
 #856293  by airman00

I've seen them both with and without a caboose. So I guess it all depends on what they need and what there doing. I saw one time they went up to cove with just 1 engine and one box car.
 #866566  by airman00

I have a question maybe one of you guys might know... I plan on going over to either demerast or closter on this tuesday and hoping to catch the C777 (or nothern branch local, whichever it is), with my son as he has off from school that day. I know they don't go up the line every tuesday, but when they do go up about what time might they go by? I believe they go to englewood around 9 am? So I figure it might be 11am or something like that? (after they service the oil place)

Also someone said they were using for a time a genset switcher for power on the northern branch, any chance to see that through closter?
 #866906  by airman00

Drove by and saw Cove had 1 box car on siding. Looked like an old Pan Am blue box car. Couldn't really tell, but looked like maybe one of the side doors was open so maybe it's empty and Cove will get a pick up/drop off of car(s) tommorow? I'm hoping to catch the train tommorow, with my son, and will try to take a picture or two.