Railroad Forums 

• Official Bel-Del Discussion Thread

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#809161  by larry1090

GOOD NEWS.... All super heats are back in.... Engine and tender are now coupled together. There's still some Work to be done: Close up front end, Finish broken staybolt replacement. Complete annual inspection. stay tuned for more updates.
 #810952  by Donko142

Haven't got down in a few days, but I'm told the weeds are almost dead. The track contractor has new ties installed to the double bridge over River Rd and river at MP 44.6 This bridge was always a photo spot we were trying to get to for one of Pete Lerro's photo trips but it just didn't happen. That will change for 2010. More to follow.
 #810975  by bigjim4life

Donko142 wrote:Haven't got down in a few days, but I'm told the weeds are almost dead. The track contractor has new ties installed to the double bridge over River Rd and river at MP 44.6 This bridge was always a photo spot we were trying to get to for one of Pete Lerro's photo trips but it just didn't happen. That will change for 2010. More to follow.
So you're saying a Pete Lerro photo trip is in the plans for this year? ;)
 #811252  by Donko142

There is no plans as of the moment, as the track project progresses it will be looked into I'm sure. As I have always said, as you go South the railroad gets better and better with each mile as far as the landscape goes.
Last edited by Donko142 on Thu May 27, 2010 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #812257  by larry1090

bigjim4life wrote:Please tell me this means that 142 is ready to go and start running excursions!! (or close to it!)
i

yup almost done. the guys were working on it today to finish. if all goes well. She should be on all of Sunday's trains and maybe todays last train ride also. I could not get down to help today, so I don't know off hand is she made it out on the last train. i'll find out later.

larry
 #813139  by MoonMix

hello all...

realized something traveling south along river road south of raven rock the other day...& was hoping someone here could confirm.

for a long time now...riding my bike up & down the D&R canal trail between titusville & lambertville...& coming across those arc shaped trestles that cross back & forth over the canal...(&...whereby there is a lift mechanisim at one end of those trestles)...

...I kept wondering where the Bel-Del RR ROW was located relative to the canal's towpath. I kept thinking (logically...looking at the lay-of-the-land, that)...could one supplant the other...??? &...how could they both exist in locations where the straits of usable land do not allow...???

then, on saturday...my wife & I were looking at the canal's lift lock in stockton...& I'm looking at multiple concrete abutments IN LINE w/ the waters of the canal...& wondering how a canal barge could possibly navigate past those.

then, it hit me: the feeder canal WAS NOT navigable by canal barge...!!! it is (was) after all...a FEEDER canal...!!!

so...relative to the Bel-Del...between Bulls Island & Trenton (all the way down to the warren street station location)...is it a correct assumtion that...any place where we find (modern day) Rail-Trail (bike, hiking, etc.)...THAT is where the Bel-Del ROW existed...??? (meaning of course also that...there was no tow path)...???

has to be, right...???

thanks,

Mark Forman
JerseyRails.com
 #814788  by Donko142

The NYSWTHS / BDRV partnership is off to a great start in 2010. Thanks to so many people giving time and 12-14 hours days to the overhaul project, the 142 was out polishing the rails Saturday and Sunday. It is incredible the amount of work that is turned out of the small Baer shop by 98% volunteer power. Of Course Gary Matthews pride in his work shows everywhere on the engine.

The track contractor has been working South as planned. The 2010 track project will be our biggest yet. As one can see in the picture ( MP 44.4 the out of service track ) the contractor is replacing every 2nd or 3rd tie under the 155lbs welded rail. Next the brush cutter will be down to clear back the brush. Last, the tamper goes through we will have almost another 2 miles of class II railroad for our riders to enjoy.
This project should get us to MP 43 by July, we will only be 1.2 miles from the Reigelsville station site at that point.

#815431  by Donko142

Saturday was a great day, lots got done on the 45 ton GE. Once we got her in the shop with a crew of 6 things moved right along. With 2 electric discs sanders, 2 Air sanders and 1 neddle gun going we were able to get 80% of the cab down to bare metal and primed. We were using some much air we had to leave the GE running at times while we use the air off her main res.
Over all it was a very good day for me, seeing all the work getting done reminds me that we are going to get her done and back polishing the rails ( By Fall I hope ). Were still buying parts for the #2 engine rebuild. This is a cool little project, if your into NJ railroad history it doesn't get better then the GE. She worked out of Holland NJ since late 1941, we can always use another set of hands on this project.

Enjoy
DC