New York Central's Hickory Creek Lookout Observation Lounge with 5 roomettes, Built 8/1948. Photo: Tony Kimmel.
This car and was christened on September 15, 1948 in Grand Central Terminal, New York City. General Dwight D. Eisenhower officiated the celebration of the New York Central Railroad's rebuilt 20th Century Limited train entering service between New York and Chicago. During it's 20 years of service, the Hickory Creek graced the rear end of the 'most famous train in the world' and was used in advertisements, promotions, and Hollywood's finest movies to reflect a standard of excellence in premier rail travel. In 1968, it was retired and sold to Ringling Brothers, Barnum & Bailey Circus. URHS of NJ obtained the car in 1991 and contracted Star Trak. to rebuild the car to Amtrak standards. Its inaugural trip was run on June 26, 2005 between New York and Niagara Falls. It is currently available for charter through Luxury Rail Vacations, Inc.