• Browns Yard question / history

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

by tomk62

Hello Everyone.

I recently stumbled into this forum and I am amazed! I grew up in Sayreville in the 1970's and occasional trips took me down Bordentown Ave, where I was mystified by this "abandoned" rail yard. Now I know this is commonly known as Browns yard. :)

I am still curious about the purpose of the catenary wires, i.e. what were the electric locomotives used for? Passenger or freight? If I recall correctly I think the lines ran all the way to South Amboy.

My house was not far from the RRRR line and I have fond memories of watching those little red locomotives!

Tom
  by TAMR213

tomk62 wrote: I am still curious about the purpose of the catenary wires, i.e. what were the electric locomotives used for? Passenger or freight? If I recall correctly I think the lines ran all the way to South Amboy.
The cantenary ran from Monmouth Junction on the NEC, east to Jamesburg, then on to South Amboy and the connection with the NY&LB. It was before my time but as I've been told, the cantenary was mainly for unit coal trains to the former coal yard in South Amboy and the occasional detour off of the Northeast Corridor, with local trains being mainly diesel powered. I'm not sure when, but I believe passenger service was stopped many, many years ago (possibly even before electrification?).

I have though found this and this photo quite awhile back, of a PC (or possibly very early Conrail) manifest train traveling through what is undoubtedly Helmetta led by an E-40. Along with this and this photo, of the same unit (on what looks like the same train) in Spotswood. The unit was apparently on the scrap line by August of 1976. There is also a photo in "Triumph V" by David Messer and Charles Roberts, of a P5a (boxcab) led train in 1957 coming off of the branch at Monmouth Junction (though the rest of the train is not visible)
  by BigDell

TAMR213, great info, thanks! And great photos. I only ever saw one of the E40's one time, idling near Elizabeth on the NEC waiting for clearance... that had to be 1975. I was at Junior Achievement (anyone old enough to remember that?) which was conveniently situated near the station.
have though found this and this photo quite awhile back, of a PC (or possibly very early Conrail) manifest train traveling through what is undoubtedly Helmetta led by an E-40. Along with this and this photo, of the same unit (on what looks like the same train) in Spotswood.
Anyway, is there much left of Browns? I need to take a drive by and see for myself.
  by TAMR213

BigDell wrote:TAMR213, great info, thanks! And great photos. I only ever saw one of the E40's one time, idling near Elizabeth on the NEC waiting for clearance... that had to be 1975. I was at Junior Achievement (anyone old enough to remember that?) which was conveniently situated near the station.
have though found this and this photo quite awhile back, of a PC (or possibly very early Conrail) manifest train traveling through what is undoubtedly Helmetta led by an E-40. Along with this and this photo, of the same unit (on what looks like the same train) in Spotswood.
Anyway, is there much left of Browns? I need to take a drive by and see for myself.
No problem. I hope my info is correct, as I said this is way before my time being born in 1989, but thats as I've had it told to me. Apparently only 2 E-40's made it into Conrail?

Browns Yard is still a busy local yard, and the cantenary poles are still in place (albeit without wires). It is served every weekday (I believe) by the OI-16 transfer, and is home of the several local jobs that operate the lines eminating from the yard (Amboy Secondary, Sayreville Running Track, Freehold Industrial Track, and Hightstown Branch), along with the Southern Secondary.
  by Holly

Where is Browns Yard exactly? My Google-fu is failing me… sorry for the dumb question!
  by TAMR213

Holly wrote:Where is Browns Yard exactly? My Google-fu is failing me… sorry for the dumb question!
On the Sayreville/Old Bridge Township border parallel to Bordentown Ave near the intersection with Jernee Mill Road.
  by Holly

TAMR213, thanks so much! Do you happen to know what kind of freight trains come into Browns and then back up and onto the North Jersey Coast Line? And/or what they might be carrying? (I'm researching this for a novel and was told that south-bound freight trains don't service the Southern Secondary directly, but must come down to Browns, then head back up and access NJCL via the Church Running Track, which requires the dispatcher to throw a switch by hand.)

Thanks again!
  by R&DB

Holly,
You are correct that the train goes back up to South Amboy and then down the North Jersey Coast Line to Red Bank to the Southern Secondary. The majority of the freight is lumber for Woodhaven in Lakewood, with occasional stone products in boxcars for Extech near Farmingdale. Also may see empty gondolas for Brick Recycling to fill with scrap metal by the Collingwood Auction. This assignment runs on Thursdays leaving Browns Yard around 2 or 3 PM. Hope that helps.
Check out the thread CR on the Southern Secondary for tons more information. (10 years of posts!) BTW, what's your novel about?
  by BigDell

This thread is actually more fascinating as I read along. Okay - another question if it's okay....
I see how trains run south to Woodhaven lumber from Browns. And I understand they run north up to the NJCL to connect. Once on the NJCL are they going up north to Oak Island? Or are they going south to other shore points? From this thread I see destinations in Farmingdale and through Shrewsbury. Are trains branching off after Red Bank station to go through Shrewsbury then? Again, i apologize if these are "duh" questions but I've not followed this thread before and I generally just tended to watch passenger action on NJCL/NEC/RVL and freight on the LV ... but this is totally fascinating and I will make some road trips. Thanks
  by R&DB

Big Dell said:Junction
Once on the NJCL are they going up north to Oak Island?
They run east from Browns Yard to South Amboy and onto the Coast Line west(south) to Red Bank onto the Southern Division which currently ends just below Cross St., Lakewood. The rails are pretty much intact all the way to below Winslow Junction, but haven't been used in years. (Some pretty big trees growing between the rails.)
  by BigDell

They run east from Browns Yard to South Amboy and onto the Coast Line west(south) to Red Bank onto the Southern Division which currently ends just below Cross St., Lakewood. The rails are pretty much intact all the way to below Winslow Junction, but haven't been used in years. (Some pretty big trees growing between the rails.)
Thanks R&DB. So initially where is the freight coming from? Again, sorry if these are "duh" questions, but where are the goods coming from initially? What feeds into Browns yard, from where? I'm guessing freight is moved there and then distributed to points along the souther secondary? I see the CR on the Souther Secondary thread, I'm trying to go through the 365 pages, but for this question I thought it'd just be easier to ask here... Thanks!
  by Holly

R&DB, I couldn't have asked for a better answer. I see you've responded on my NJT thread as well--ya caught me in my wanderings around these parts! Many thanks.

My novel is about a kid who saves NJ from a genetically engineered monster and while doing so uncovers the nefarious doings of a secret, evil organization. You know. As one does.
  by TAMR213

BigDell wrote:
Thanks R&DB. So initially where is the freight coming from? Again, sorry if these are "duh" questions, but where are the goods coming from initially? What feeds into Browns yard, from where? I'm guessing freight is moved there and then distributed to points along the souther secondary? I see the CR on the Souther Secondary thread, I'm trying to go through the 365 pages, but for this question I thought it'd just be easier to ask here... Thanks!
Transfer runs (OI-16 I think?) run out of Oak Island down the Chemical Coast, usually make a set-off at Port Reading, onto the NJCL at WOOD in Perth Amboy for the short trip over the Raritan River to ESSAY in South Amboy, where they switch onto the Amboy Secondary to complete their journey to Browns Yard. As previously stated, the train to the Southern Secondary (SA-31) switches onto the NJCL at CHURCH (just south of ESSAY) in South Amboy, and travels to Red Bank where it turns onto the Southern Secondary. There are also occasional locals out of Port Reading that serve a few sidings and industrial tracks in Woodbridge and Perth Amboy.
  by R&DB

BigDell,
I see the CR on the Souther Secondary thread, I'm trying to go through the 365 pages, but for this question I thought it'd just be easier to ask here... Thanks!
For more info on what runs out of Browns Yard search the threads on the Raritan River RR and the Freehold Secondary.
  by BigDell

R&DB, good stuff, many thanks!

Holly - I can't wait to read that novel...! :-)

BigDell --- get yer' butt down to Browns and take pics asap....