Railroad Forums 

• NS 68Q and Port Reading

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1114971  by OCtrainguy

A Port Reading Yard crew pulled an empty NS ethanol train out of Motiva this morning. The power was NS D9-40CW 9857, NS D8-40CW 8432, UP AC4400CW 6998, UP Ex-SP AC4400CW 6209 & UP SD70ACe 8734. Look for the train to head west sometime soon.
 #1126255  by umtrr-author

With respect to the photo in Carteret... is that spot accessible via the U-turn that was built under Roosevelt Avenue as part of the Turnpike Exit 12 rebuild? The bridges over the diesels look like the access ramps to the northbound Turnpike.
 #1126399  by ChrisU

umtrr-author wrote:With respect to the photo in Carteret... is that spot accessible via the U-turn that was built under Roosevelt Avenue as part of the Turnpike Exit 12 rebuild? The bridges over the diesels look like the access ramps to the northbound Turnpike.
Yeah that's taken under the turnpike from the u turn
 #1126402  by RailsEast

Nice shots, Chris; there are 2 UP SD90MACS in the area (Tremley?) today as well, they may go out tomorrow (under much nicer skies)....
 #1126499  by ChrisU

RailsEast wrote:Nice shots, Chris; there are 2 UP SD90MACS in the area (Tremley?) today as well, they may go out tomorrow (under much nicer skies)....
Thanks for the heads up I heard about them but I didn't make it over to Tremely.
 #1136487  by OCtrainguy

I saw a 68Q heading east through South Plainfield on the Port Reading Secondary this morning. Power was NS ES44ACs 8001 & 8140. There was also a 69Q on the Lehigh Line this morning with NS 7514 & NS 8768.
 #1137646  by bigblue5277

Thanks for the report. I caught NS 68Q at the Port Reading Secondary's easternmost road crossing, Blair Road, around 2 pm that Saturday Jan 19th.
http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/editPi ... id=3344650

68Q had two buffer cars, one at the front and one on the rear.
http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=3344573

OCtrainguy wrote:I saw a 68Q heading east through South Plainfield on the Port Reading Secondary this morning. Power was NS ES44ACs 8001 & 8140. There was also a 69Q on the Lehigh Line this morning with NS 7514 & NS 8768.
 #1138039  by umtrr-author

Boy has that Blair Road crossing changed. When I was a kid it was a "hump-back" crossing with, if I recall correctly, wood immediately next to the rails and (not much) in between. And a sharp incline to track level on both sides. It was rough even on a ten-speed bike...

I guess that's progress... thanks for the pics!
 #1138491  by bigblue5277

I'm glad my pics brought you to reminisce of your youth.
The Blair Road crossing even has an electronic/digital horn that sounds off when the gates close. It's a pretty decent imitation of a real diesel locomotive horn.
Cool stuff!
umtrr-author wrote:Boy has that Blair Road crossing changed. When I was a kid it was a "hump-back" crossing with, if I recall correctly, wood immediately next to the rails and (not much) in between. And a sharp incline to track level on both sides. It was rough even on a ten-speed bike...

I guess that's progress... thanks for the pics!
 #1165365  by ChrisU

Major heads up K684 headed to Motiva with CN 2444 C40-8M (covered wagon) with North American Flag and a CSX widecab not sure what it was couldn't tell from picture!
 #1166099  by ChrisU

#1166147  by RailsEast

Arrgh! Nice to see you this morning, Chris, I'm sorry I couldn't hang for that CN unit! I passed by later in the day and saw it, but could not get an 'acceptable' shot of her. Thanks for the heads up yesterday, my schedule just didn't work for the shove to Motiva. As I went north on the NJ Turnpike, there were 5 (yes 5) CP/ICE/DME units at Tremley...another 'Arrgh' for the record.
Nice shots, by the way; that CN 2444 is quite a catch here in Jersey, glad you got her...
Chris
 #1166276  by ChrisU

RailsEast wrote:Arrgh! Nice to see you this morning, Chris, I'm sorry I couldn't hang for that CN unit! I passed by later in the day and saw it, but could not get an 'acceptable' shot of her. Thanks for the heads up yesterday, my schedule just didn't work for the shove to Motiva. As I went north on the NJ Turnpike, there were 5 (yes 5) CP/ICE/DME units at Tremley...another 'Arrgh' for the record.
Nice shots, by the way; that CN 2444 is quite a catch here in Jersey, glad you got her...
Chris
Thanks, it was nice to see you again, that was probably the luckiest I have been on the Chemical Coast!