• NYGL Dundee Spur Status - 2009-present

  • Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

  • 143 posts
  • 1
  • 6
  • 7
  • 8
  • 9
  • 10
  by DogBert
 
Beat me to that punch :)

This is indeed very good news. Some of this equipment ultimately might not be worth saving, but at least they'll live another day & be out of immediate danger.
  by Dcell
 
Strange that Mr Wilson just walked away and abandoned all this rolling stock. Unless it is only worth scrap value. Whatever became of him?
  by therudycometh
 
I will provide insight on the equipment as soon as I'm legally able (waiting for some paperwork to be signed, hopefully very shortly). Everything will leave the property by rail, nothing will be scrapped without being offered to interested parties first. I can't say anything else at this moment!
  by therudycometh
 
Speaking of the equipment, does anyone know the heritage of the baggage car (NYGL 200) that's on the property? I've heard everything from Erie to Reading to CN or CP. Nobody has any real idea!
  by DogBert
 
Dcell wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:42 pm Strange that Mr Wilson just walked away and abandoned all this rolling stock. Unless it is only worth scrap value. Whatever became of him?
According to that article Wilson sold the equipment. My impression is that nothing is set in stone yet on where what pieces will eventually end up.

Rudy, definitely looking forward to anything you hear about their plans for all this equipment.
  by Sid Farkus
 
I wonder if this will also lead to the equipment rotting away in Port Jervis to being shipped out and hopefully restored.
  by Ken W2KB
 
DogBert wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:09 pm
Dcell wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:42 pm Strange that Mr Wilson just walked away and abandoned all this rolling stock. Unless it is only worth scrap value. Whatever became of him?
According to that article Wilson sold the equipment. My impression is that nothing is set in stone yet on where what pieces will eventually end up.

Rudy, definitely looking forward to anything you hear about their plans for all this equipment.
Wilson did not sell it. He no longer owned it. The US Internal Revenue Service placed a federal tax lien on the railroad, likely quite some time ago, and the entire railroad and its assets was sold by the IRS in a tax sale to the present owner who is now disposing of the rail assets.

Additionally, I performed a New Jersey upper court judgment search and the railroad has open liens from the State of New Jersey going back to 2009. The liens currently total close to $90,000. The railroad would not have been able to sell and grant clear title for about 10 years.
  by Dcell
 
So much for Wilson’s supposed plans to restore commuter trains to the Boonton Branch stations that lost service when the Montclair Connection opened. He got lots of media coverage with his boasts but ultimately produced nothing for commuters.
  by DogBert
 
Ken W2KB wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 1:42 pm
DogBert wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:09 pm
Dcell wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:42 pm Strange that Mr Wilson just walked away and abandoned all this rolling stock. Unless it is only worth scrap value. Whatever became of him?
According to that article Wilson sold the equipment. My impression is that nothing is set in stone yet on where what pieces will eventually end up.

Rudy, definitely looking forward to anything you hear about their plans for all this equipment.
Wilson did not sell it. He no longer owned it. The US Internal Revenue Service placed a federal tax lien on the railroad, likely quite some time ago, and the entire railroad and its assets was sold by the IRS in a tax sale to the present owner who is now disposing of the rail assets.

Additionally, I performed a New Jersey upper court judgment search and the railroad has open liens from the State of New Jersey going back to 2009. The liens currently total close to $90,000. The railroad would not have been able to sell and grant clear title for about 10 years.


...That's not the rumor I heard. Up until recently northjersey.com focused its reporting on the developer's ownership of the land and their horse trading with the city. They didn't mention the developer also got all the equipment until last month, which from what I read over the years the developer seemed surprised to learn he was also the new owner of a bunch of rail cars he had no use for.

I was recently told by someone close to the RR that Wilson sold all the equipment (at some unknown time), but that story doesn't add up at all. My source was probably confused (as have I and others been) about who owned or sold what to whom.

Anyway.

If Rudy, or anyone, has a breakdown of where all this equipment will go, I suspect many are curious.

From what I've read online/heard from the rumor mill, the old GT passenger car is going to toys for tots, while the old red caboose will be staying behind and repurposed as a police substation. Also heard everything else will be dragged out of dundee yard next week and brought over to NYSW for temporary storage.

If anyone's got better detailed info, by all means share it.
  by Dcell
 
Does Mr Wilson still operate a railroad based in Callicoon NY? That’s the last I knew and he’s been AWOL in this tale about the demise of the NY&GL Railroad. He could answer alot of existing questions that we have.
  by ClearlyDiverging
 
Dcell wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 11:43 am Does Mr Wilson still operate a railroad based in Callicoon NY? That’s the last I knew and he’s been AWOL in this tale about the demise of the NY&GL Railroad. He could answer alot of existing questions that we have.
I'm not sure why you think anyone here is entitled to answers to the questions you have. Unless you're a stake holder in the NY&GL, (and I know no one here is) then what has been published is sufficient. Business didn't pay it's taxes. Government seized the property to settle the debt. Government sold the property, new property owner disposed of the equipment as they saw fit. I don't see what else needs to be asked.
  by cjvrr
 
There is no railroad run by Mr. Wilson in Callicoon, NY. The railroad running thru there is NS and run by Central New York (NYS&W).

However Mr. Wilson did open a brewery in that town and I believe he is still the owner.
Dcell wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 11:43 am Does Mr Wilson still operate a railroad based in Callicoon NY? That’s the last I knew and he’s been AWOL in this tale about the demise of the NY&GL Railroad. He could answer alot of existing questions that we have.
  by pumpers
 
cjvrr, any news about the speeder now that the new owner is cleaning out?
  by cjvrr
 
pumpers, I know the people involved with the rescue of the equipment and I have been told the speeder is safe from scrapping.

Unknown who or what group may end up with it but very glad it didn't end up in a dumpster or scrap pile.
  • 1
  • 6
  • 7
  • 8
  • 9
  • 10