Railroad Forums 

• Conrail on the Seashore Branch

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1078038  by tom hannan

I went to Croydon Hall in Leonardo from 1963 to 1966--there were trains running at that time---into Atlantic Highlands. I can recall a lot of Atlantic Highlands sidings but they were not used very often---but at one time they must have brought people to the docks for the old ferry services. I think the last rails are gone and the land is used for parking. Like all other old lines---the towns use the old track beds for bike and hiking trails. I always lived in Point Pleasant Beach and still remember the steam engines that came and went out of Bay Head--and the glorious old stations that served the riders.
 #1082146  by GSC

I can deal with saving a ROW for a rail-trail. Walk or bike along the old line, remembering what it once was. A CNJ Camelback, a Baby Trainmaster, an RS3, a double-ended Baldwin Babyface, and who knows what else passed this very spot.

As we get older, an excuse to walk or bike an old rail-trail can keep the old ticker in good shape. Thank the CNJ for thinking of me!
 #1083342  by Blackseal Jim

My wife ,myself & our kids rode the trail from Lloyd Rd all the way to Atl Hlands and back about a month ago . While Id rather see trains, Im happy that the ROW is safe and preserved as a rail trail . The county did a beautiful job with it. And yes Gary , it was kind of the CNJ !
Jim H
 #1083521  by GSC

Nothing wrong with waxing nostalgic . . .

And remember the cardio benefits too.