• Conrail on the Seashore Branch

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

by Kaback9

Guys keep the info coming, I have been in the planing stages for sometime for a layout based on the Freehold Branch but the more I read what you guys have to say the more I feel I should just extend the plan! As it stands now on paper the line ends at Matawan but I could definitely continue the plan on to the Highlands. I plan on building the layout in modules when I have the time and money :-D.
  by Jtgshu

clamdigger wrote:Jtgshu;
I was indeed fortunate to see the Seashore branch in its glory days,during WWII(as a young lad) and in its decline, which was a damn shame.I purchased the Model railroader issue on the Seashore branch through e-bay with issues on the other two articles I mentioned.I learned about Vic Roseman from an article he wrote in the December 1996 "Railmodel Jounal" entitled "Vic Roseman's HO Scale(CNJ) Lafayette Branch".I researched his past published articles and found that he had written many scale modeling articles on various aspects of the CNJ and its branches.If you are interested, PM or e mail me your address and I'll photocopy whatever articles you'd like and mail them to you. Also,I bought a copy of' the Nov.2000"Model Railroading",from some since closed newstand, featuring an article entitled "GP40 The First 645 Geep---part 4"by George Melvin.Part 4 dealt with the first passenger variants of the GP40, namely GO Transit's GP40TC(the TC an abbreviation for Toronto Commission) and CNJ's GP40Ps later Conrail/NJDOT's GP40Ps.A very interesting, historical article.I was never able to find preceeding or subsequent issues covering the GP40.
Also,you could help me with this:In Gallo's book "Henry Hudson Trail...". the caption of the bottom photo on page 54, states;"Taken in the shadow of Murphy's Depot Inn at Leonard Avenue,....".I never heard it referred to as that but always as "Boozies".What's your or your parents recollection? The only "Ginmill" on the bayshore named Murphy's,that I knew of, was in East Keansburg.It is now and has been St.Catherine's Parish Hall for at least 45 years.Thanks for your help.
VJH
I have heard it referred to as Boozies, but as far as I know, it has always been Murphy's Depot Inn (until about 10 years ago) - it has a metal sign that had neon letters - up on the front of the building it had "EST 1934" (I think thats the year) and above the first floor and windows and doors, it said "Murphy's Depot Inn" - the current "Leonardo Deli" sign is on top of the Murphys sign. Us locals have always call it "the Depot" - It was a very popular place when the ships came in at Earle and the sailers would wander down the Highway to indulge themselves on a well deserved break. Business went down hill there when the former station location was developed into those houses, as there literally is no place to park now. Before everyone would just park across teh street at the station site, which was a big dirt lot.

I would indeed be very interested, ill send you a PM in the coming days :)
  by clamdigger

Jtgshu;
Thanks for enlightening me as regards "Murphy's Depot Inn".And,yes I rememember it being called "The Dee-poh"by some folks I knew in Leonardo and Atlantic.The last time I was there was in Oct."84 while waiting for my son ,whose ship had docked earlier that day.
VJH
  by firthorfifth06

I was viewing the M72 website with an old TT from the 40's. A lot of things don't make sense about these seashore trains:

I noticed runs from ELB (East Long Branch) to Jersey City/Newark, but only during peak periods. However, I saw very few shuttles to Matawan (having mostly motor coaches...)

Also, there were 5100 and 5300 runs. I know the 5300's went from Atlantic Highlands to Bay Head, but what of the 51's. How do you all think equipment ran, since I can't make head-nor-tail from the tables
  by GSC

I've come across all kinds of Seashore Branch schedules we would think strange today. There were Matawan/Atlantic Highlands shuttles, there were through trains from East Long Branch to Jersey City, there were Atlantic Highlands to Bay Head trains, there were AH to Sea Bright shuttles. I'm guessing that there was enough passenger traffic that needed these various routes.

Atlantic Highlands Pier to East Long Branch was a popular commuter route, as the trolley to Asbury Park and farther south met the train at ELB. A lot like the across-the-platform connection at Long Branch today with NJT.
  by MickeyK

I had an uncle who worked for the CNJ as a clerk. He used to catch the train at Green Grove Avenue in Keyport in the sixties. He gave me a bunch of old tickets from the branch as well as CNJ Timetable from 1964. I also have a Student Pass from Keyport to Perth Amboy that my grandmother used in 1927. My wife's uncle owned Conover Lumber and my Uncle owned Stultz Oil, both in Keyport. A very busy little town for the railraod back in the day. I run in New England for S.T. , but often think of the Sea Shore Branch in my home state. There's an excellent book written by T. Gallo which is great reading on this subject.
  by GSC

Tom Gallo's book is great. A required possession in these parts of NJ!
  by firthorfifth06

Indeed. The Gallo's are a big family in the Keyport area, some of which I'm obscurely related to. I wonder if the author of that book is related to that family
  by JimBoylan

Atlantic Highlands Pier, and before about 1882, Sandy Hook Pier, were ferry boat (steamer) terminals from New York City. That's why so many trains in different directions that didn't go to Newark, Jersey City, or other big places. One boat could fill 3 or 4 local and zoned express trains.
B & O Route ferry boats from South Ferry used Sandy Hook Pier in the '70s, did they use Atlantic Highlands Pier for a short time until the Royal Blue Route trains started running to Jersey City?
  by BlueFish

Great thread, lots of memories for me. My family has lived in Atlantic Highlands since the 1950's. My grandfather used to take the train from Atlantic Highlands to E'port where he worked at Singer. After Singer closed, he went to work as a carpenter for Caruso Construction. My dad grew up in Atlantic Highlands and was a member of the fire department. I believe it was 1966 when the pier burned ( it actually burned twice, but i think '66 was the first time), my dad responded to the fire and was one of several men near the end of the pier. One of the pumpers was drafting water from the bay to fight the fire, but the tide went out and they lost their water, so my dad and a couple others jumped into the bay to escape the flames. After my dad got married, he moved to Jackson. We lived in Jackson until 1978, when we purchased my grandparents house, as they built a new one on adjoining property. I can remember the tracks for the coal gasification plant and the distinctive gas storage tank along Rt. 36 and also the tracks at American Lumber. My dad rejoined the fire dept. when we moved to Atlantic Highlands and he was at the American Lumber fire in the fall if 1980. We lived up on Summit Ave. and I walked across the street to a neighbor's house to watch the fire trucks streaming down Rt. 36. I never got to see any trains on the Seashore Branch but it's nice to read about everyone's memories.
  by GSC

In talking to my mother the other day, she told me of how her father worked as a (civilian) auxiliary policeman at Sandy Hook during WW2. (He was in charge of German POWs who were put to work doing maintenance around the base, he handled the paint crew). A few times his car broke down and since he had to be there no matter what, he took the NY&LB train from Belmar to East Long Branch and then north to Highland Beach (the ocean side of the scissors bridge from Atlantic Highlands) and hitchhiked north up Sandy Hook to work.

I wonder if he was comped passage on the train, since he was in uniform?
  by ChrisU

NJT5008 wrote:Does anyone have any information on the last customer,IFF, or any other customers for that matter, of Conrail on the old CNJ seashore branch? As a frequent rider of the Henry Hudson Trail, I've tried to scope out this plant, and others, to see how the railraod entered into theses sites and what type of cars they would drop off and pick up. The book "24 Great Rail Trails of New Jersey" has some good information but focuses more on the trail than the railroad. Any information at all would be a great. =]
The siding at IFF is still there it's currently burried in the snow but its there its on the right of the trail if you are coming from Atlantic Highlands and left if you are coming from Matawan,there is a gravel path that leads to the old part of IFF take that and then on the left you will see the siding come from out of the trees it is overgrown in the summer so the best time to see it is in the winter when there is no snow.
  by tomcheck

MickeyK, I saw your old post in 2009 reference the NJ Seashore Branch. You mentioned that your wife's uncle used to own the Conover Lumber Company, which used to be located at 1st & Atlantic Streets. I've been doing some research on the lumber companies in Monmouth County in the 1900's, do you know what year it closed down. I understand that it was empty for several years before it was torn down to build the Sea Loft Condos. Does your wife know anyone that used to work there that still around/alive? Any information would be helpful.
  by Jtgshu

Just a quick note in a great old thread!

Chances are, some of the last two major remains of the Seashore Branch are going to be removed, or at best, covered up. The State is starting a repaving project on Route 36 through the Bayshore, and both the streets with the remaining grade crossings in (Thompson Ave in Leonardo, and Thompson Ave in North Middletown) will probably be covered over or removed.

At Thompson Ave in Leonardo, the construction spray painted marks go all the way up to the intersection of Thompson and Vanderbilt Ave (a block in), so its pretty safe to say that the current exposed rails at least will be covered up. But with the amount of spray paint all around for this project, I have a feeling its a little more substanial than a simple repaving, so the Xing might be in danger.

Here is a pic of the grade Xing by our own Mr. Gerald Oliveto

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.p ... 632&nseq=0
  by ChrisU

That's ashame to hear, I'm glad I got my pictures when I did!