• CNJ Newark Broad St station

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

by carajul

What is the current status of the CNJ's Broad st station in Newark, NJ? On google maps it appears as though the former elevated track area was a parking lot in 2006 but on MSN's live maps the entire elevated area and back of the building have been demolished.

From the CNJ ghost bridge over the NEC at Newark Penn Sta the old elevated CNJ row has been completely turned into elevated parking lots in both directions. It's almost impossible to trace going east, except you can see the old buildings are shaped to actually conform around where the tracks used to be. The ROW east toward the turnpike has basically been obliterated with buildings in the past 10 years. The 1979 images on historicaerials are more colorful and cripst that the 2006 ones.

Just before the turnpike it also appears as though there was a substancial yard that ran N-S and wye'd with the E-W Broad St branch. Now just a handful of tracks in the woods.
  by transit383

carajul wrote:From the CNJ ghost bridge over the NEC at Newark Penn Sta the old elevated CNJ row has been completely turned into elevated parking lots in both directions.
That ghost bridge over the NEC and NJ Route 21 is really something. I've never actually been up top to see whats left, but this photo shows the ground view from the Edison Park & Lock on the east side of Penn Station:

CNJ crossing the NEC

You can still see the rails on the bridge if you look closely enough.
  by red baron

Just before the turnpike it also appears as though there was a substancial yard that ran N-S and wye'd with the E-W Broad St branch. Now just a handful of tracks in the woods.

Sounds like you're referring to the former CNJ Brills Yard. The west side of Brills Yard is the site of what was once Naporano, the infamous scrapper (Foot of Hawkins Street). Now d.b.a. another company, Metal Management if my memory serves me correct. Lot of CNJ history in that area.
  by Sir Ray

carajul wrote: The ROW east toward the turnpike has basically been obliterated with buildings in the past 10 years.
They build a lot of homes on the ROW west of Ferry St, starting I believe in the late 1980s - that section of Newark (Ironbound) was (and still is) very active and bustling, and certainly around the early 1990s they were building residences and small commerical buildings anywhere they could find land in that area - including the CNJ ROW. I believe most of the ROW was developed before the HBLR really took off, otherwise they might have considered preserving the ROW for an eventual rebuild of the Newark-Jersey City connection as a Light Rail extension (right now, the ROW is so build on, once you get past the groups of brown-roofed 'strip' housing west of Ferry it becomes rather tough to trace).
  by peconicstation

Here is a photo of CNJ Budd Cars at Broad Street Station.

The two tracks pictured here 2 and 3 were used to the end (4/67).

Ken
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
  by firthorfifth06

Wonderful Picture! Thanks!
  by Ken W2KB

The open area in the left side of the photo was the location of a small freight yard, mostly for LCL, and similar I believe.
  by Kaback9

Wow! Great photo thanks for sharing!
  by Steve F45

I haven't been down to Newark in a while. Has anything come about with the Broad street station and its use with the Prudential center.
  by philipmartin

I suppose everybody knows that the Hudson Bergen Light Rail spur to West Side Avenue in Jersey City is built on the old CNJ right of way to Newark. Here's a link to a Wiki article. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newark_and ... k_Railroad" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
  by Semaphore Sam

To the left of the ROW, as you departed CNJ Newark station, was a multi-storied building used as a freight depot. Any idea (if it hasn't been torn down) what its present usage is? Thanks, Sam
  by Ken W2KB

Semaphore Sam wrote:To the left of the ROW, as you departed CNJ Newark station, was a multi-storied building used as a freight depot. Any idea (if it hasn't been torn down) what its present usage is? Thanks, Sam
Still there, it appears to still be used as a warehouse. The building was a CNJ subsidiary, named "Newark Warehouse Company" if I recall correctly. There were spur tracks inside the building at the right of way level and elevators to bring freight down to the team level and up to storage floor.