Railroad Forums 

• BR&W Lambertville-Ringoes

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#931804  by JJMDiMunno

TOMSTV wrote:Engin 60 at Lambertville Station

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRh0QgWDOZo
That's awesome!!! Thanks for posting - I have been looking for some time for still images from the Lambertville era...you went one step further with video!!!

Thanks again.

Mike DiMunno
 #931810  by TOMSTV

Thanks Mike,I finally learned how to post video tape from a vcr,to computer,to the internet. I got more stuff,that i,m working on.
 #932053  by many19

I wish this line was still active. If I win the lottery I will pay for this line to get refurbish. I am getting married in September and I wanted to ride the train from Flemington, NJ to The Lambertville Inn.
Has anyone ever heard of any opportunities to maybe re-activate this line. I know it is costly but the economic and retail increases that this line could create into Lambertville and New Hope. I just wish this was active again.
Thank you
 #932081  by amtrakhogger

Some years back the BR&W ran the doodlebug 4666 sundays only from Ringoes to Lambertville. It was a limited schedule but you could connect with a Flemington train at Ringoes if you wanted.
 #932132  by wolfboy8171981

No plans are in the works at the moment. We would love to be able to get the line into exempt status from Ringoes to Rt 29 and class 1 status from Rt 29 to Lambertville station. This would allow us to at least run small shuttle service from the Jimson Farm to the Lambertville station. Perhaps some business in Lambertville would be willing to help out in the venture as to help with the parking issue on Lambertville/New Hope on Fridays in the summer for the Fire works.
 #932133  by wolfboy8171981

I'm going to guess that to be during the 1994,1995, or 1999 season. The coach looks like it was ex-CN #4988 which i think became BR&W #491. Sadly, at that time, we could not fill up a one car train.
 #932588  by GSC

I remember riding a gondola car pulled by a diesel back in the late 70s, Ringoes to Lambertville. This was scheduled passenger service, and I think there were maybe 4 people riding the trip.
 #932686  by R36 Combine Coach

wolfboy8171981 wrote:

I'm going to guess that to be during the 1994,1995, or 1999 season. The coach looks like it was ex-CN #4988 which i think became BR&W #491. Sadly, at that time, we could not fill up a one car train.
Can't be 1999, since the Lambertville section was out of service after 1998. Probably 1995. I recall the same coach on a one car trip with a grey ex-AMTK unit.
 #932820  by wolfboy8171981

I realised that after I posted. Actually, if you look close the tender on #60 has journal boxes. She was converted to roller bearing tender wheels before she went to Whippany in 1994. The ex-CN Coaches were purchased in the 1992-1993 time frame.
 #933114  by RailsEast

TOMSTV wrote:I put together an old tape from 1989, showing a run to Lambertville,from Ringos,on board the Pennsy 4666.
It's about 13 minutes long.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txiwSDx3v_0
Wonderful video, especially the 'cab ride' back....thanks for sharing!
Would love to ride the route; as mentioned in the video, what an amazing 'fall foliage' excursion that would be!
Chris
 #933133  by carajul

I've worked for tourist RR operations for the past 25 years on and off as a volunteer. They were always on the verge of financial collapse for the same basic reasons...

1. Insurance costs - liability insurance in the $20-$30,000,000 range cost around $30,000/yr. Even paid monthly that's a huge expense, especially if you are only operating seasonally.

2. Run by Railfans not Businessmen - the guys who were in charge loved trains, but had no clue as to how to run a business. Marketing didn't exist, technology knowledge didn't exist. Good example...the last operation I worked for out west spent $1,200 on a credit card machine from their local bank they could have bought on Ebay for $80. Another example... a customer calls in and says they have a tour group of 50 people. They want to fax over all the names and credit card payment info. Employee says "we don't have any computers or fax machine here sorry" and hangs up. I saw this stuff constantly.

3. Terrible Customer Service - screaming at passengers, rude employees, employees not showing up, employees fighting in front of customers, unprofessional employee behavior in front of customers.

With good capital investment, good service, and most importantly great marketing, I"m sure the line to Lambertville would be sucessful.
 #933339  by Tom_E_Reynolds

TOMSTV wrote:I put together an old tape from 1989, showing a run to Lambertville,from Ringos,on board the Pennsy 4666.
It's about 13 minutes long.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txiwSDx3v_0
Wow. The engineer even let the kid pull the cord and blow the horn!

Thanks, Tom, for converting and posting this. I am sure it required some time and effort. It is much appreciated!

What a great day to remember and re-live on the old BRW line to Lambertville!