Railroad Forums 

• Toms River Industrial Track!

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#604164  by ChrisU

So whats going on with the TRIT will it be ripped up! Also do they still store trains in Lakehurst were the TRIT branches off.
 #621632  by Pinewald Station

I went to where Columbia Propane used to be off RTE 37 and there is no showroom or filling station out front. Anyway I saw a bunch of Amerigas tank
trucks out back near the tracks. The storage tank is still there so I was wondering if Amerigas might have their own tank cars and if so has anybody
spotted any coming thru Lakehurst?
 #621636  by OCtrainguy

Unfortunately, no. AmeriGas has been quiet for quite some time. There is a sign out front about a professional building that's been there for over a year and a half. No professional building yet, just some trucks still parked and the Dunkin' Donuts that is about ready to open, if it hasn't already. So, no current sign of life for the TRIT.

As suggested, the CR on the Southern Secondary thread does keep one up to date with the ongoings for this line and does have information about the TRIT in it.
 #621923  by Pinewald Station

Thanks for the info.......I went down Germania Station Road......I used to work back there 16 years ago...anyway the road is a mess ,everything
is over grown...and that's the road on the way in. The Builder's General Lumber yard siding is pretty much covered up with asphalt. Looks like the tracks are overgrown with weeds, garbage on the tracks and rusty rails indicate a train hasn't beeen down that way in years.......when I worked back there
they redid the ties and ballast as well as rebuilding the crossing to the Ciba Plant accross RTE 37........pretty dead line......
 #622396  by Pinewald Station

I had pictures of some MOW equipment and cars along with some Locomotives on this line. One of the more odd things I
saw was a Case Backhoe mounted on a gondola car with a grapple picking up used ties.......prettty strange.....
 #622403  by Kaback9

Pinewald Station wrote:I had pictures of some MOW equipment and cars along with some Locomotives on this line. One of the more odd things I
saw was a Case Backhoe mounted on a gondola car with a grapple picking up used ties.......prettty strange.....
Thats not strange at all NJT has something similar.
 #622439  by Pinewald Station

The back 2 stabilizers were used as mounts to the gondola but don;t remember how it was mounted in the front. I used to walk out the front dooor
and watch this stuff for abou 3 years until the company moved from it's Germania Station location........
 #622527  by peconicstation

Who owns whats left of the Barnegat Branch (a/k/a Toms River Industrial Track) ?

I recall that it is owned by NJ DOT from Lakehurst to a point just south of Toms River, but I am not 100% sure.

Ken
 #622651  by OCtrainguy

peconicstation wrote:Who owns whats left of the Barnegat Branch (a/k/a Toms River Industrial Track) ?
The individual towns own their respective piece of the ex-Barnegat Branch. That's been half of the problem for Ocean County's project turning the ROW into a Rail-Trail. Most of the towns are on board for the project, but Lacey has been battling within themselves for years over whether or not to convene the entire width of the ROW to the County or to keep some of the ROW for building a new road.

The County has started the Rail-Trail at Barnegat and is working north from there.
 #622704  by R36 Combine Coach

peconicstation wrote:Who owns whats left of the Barnegat Branch (a/k/a Toms River Industrial Track) ?
I recall that it is owned by NJ DOT from Lakehurst to a point just south of Toms River, but I am not 100% sure.
Conrail owns the Toms River branch.
 #622718  by Pinewald Station

They would have to rebuild the bridge over Cedar Creek to get the Rail Trail up into Bayville/Pinewald.......will they be putting historic markers in or will the fact that the land was a railroad be ignored?
 #622818  by radioboy

Pinewald Station wrote:They would have to rebuild the bridge over Cedar Creek to get the Rail Trail up into Bayville/Pinewald.......will they be putting historic markers in or will the fact that the land was a railroad be ignored?
There will be a large amount of historic markers along the path. The logo is a tribute to the CNJ.