Railroad Forums 

• Trains and operations in Browns Yard

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#824841  by painterman

Kaback9 wrote:By the way a report sent to me says CSX 4428 in Conrail Quality Blue has been sent to Browns.
Don't you mean CSX 4428 in Shared Assets Rust?

It'd be nice if they'd throw a fresh coat of blue paint on the remaining CR units.
 #824847  by Kaback9

painterman wrote:
Kaback9 wrote:By the way a report sent to me says CSX 4428 in Conrail Quality Blue has been sent to Browns.
Don't you mean CSX 4428 in Shared Assets Rust?

It'd be nice if they'd throw a fresh coat of blue paint on the remaining CR units.
Take what you can get. :-)
 #824877  by wolfboy8171981

painterman wrote:
Kaback9 wrote:Take what you can get. :-)
Very true. I hope that CSX GP15 I saw at Port Reading makes its way down to Browns. Either that or maybe a genset or sw1500.
I do not beleive the Gen-Sets are in the NJT timetable, making them not avaliable to travel over the NJCL. There is at least one Gen-Set assigned to South Kearny yard, and possibly a second at E-port in the CSX side of the yard.
 #895638  by RailsEast

Fast-forward to the winter of '10-'11.....
After the CR Sno-Jet derailed at Bordentown Ave., they requested that the SA-2 go ahead to break the large drifts along the Gillespie Branch to the wye, where the CR MoW crew would follow and clear the switches at the west end from there.....
A few pics from the east end in Sayreville.....

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=2385823
http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=2385857
http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=2385871
 #989141  by Mike77E9

Hey all, I finally have a day off tomorrow and I thought I would try to shoot something different for a change. I've been reading up on the locals out of Browns Yard, but some of the info seems to be fragmented and/or possibly outdated.

Would there be any trains running down through Helmetta or down the NJCL at all tomorrow? Any specific duty times for these trains? Any help is appreciated, thanks!
 #1290801  by bigblue5277

Steel Mill Train (SA22) runs north out of the yard late afternoon / early evening five days a week. I've heard it runs Sun mornings too.
Sometimes you can see it around 5 - 6 pm ready to leave the yard or see it getting assembled in the yard.
Lately, I haven't seen this when passing by at 5 - 6 pm. so I'm thinking SA22 could be running earlier or later.
If you have an afternoon free OI16 comes in from east M - F at 5 - 5:30 ish.
SA33 departs west M - F at 5:30 - 6ish pm.
Sometimes you can see SA33 waiting to leave west end of yard.
You can try catching OI16 first, then SA33 second, all the while keeping an ear open to hear SA22 crossing Bordentown Rd.

my experience is that SA22's run time is most variable, while OI16 is least variable.