Railroad Forums 

• Beginning of the End for the Robbinsville Industrial?

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#575217  by Off Pending

Was traveling up Route 130 in Bordentown today, and I noticed that crews were busy demolishing the remains of the Agway in Bordentown. The only building that remains largely intact, is the grain elevator itself. All the others are down, and much of the track looks to be torn up.

Being that Agway was the largest of the customers on the remaining operational portion of the Robbinsville Industrial, is this likely the end for one of the original segments of the old Camden and Amboy?

The section from Hamilton to Windsor, through Robbinsville, has already been given its death sentence by the STB. Can abandonment for the rest of this historic section of rail line be too far down the road?
 #575280  by blockline4180

Off Pending wrote:Was traveling up Route 130 in Bordentown today, and I noticed that crews were busy demolishing the remains of the Agway in Bordentown. The only building that remains largely intact, is the grain elevator itself. All the others are down, and much of the track looks to be torn up.

Being that Agway was the largest of the customers on the remaining operational portion of the Robbinsville Industrial, is this likely the end for one of the original segments of the old Camden and Amboy?

The section from Hamilton to Windsor, through Robbinsville, has already been given its death sentence by the STB. Can abandonment for the rest of this historic section of rail line be too far down the road?

Uhh, ok??? I had thought that part of this line still had 1 or 2 customers left, but apparently not...What part???
So what your saying is the scrap train will be taking up the rails ASAP pending STB approval?? Soo sad! :(
 #575330  by Off Pending

blockline4180 wrote:
Uhh, ok??? I had thought that part of this line still had 1 or 2 customers left, but apparently not...What part???
So what your saying is the scrap train will be taking up the rails ASAP pending STB approval?? Soo sad! :(
The STB has previously approved abandonment of the Robbinsville Industrial north of Klockner Road in Hamilton, up to the end of track in Windsor. To the best of my knowledge, Conrail got the approval to tear out the track, but not disturb the right of way or bridge structures pending a resolution of issues surrounding a public use passge the STB included in the abandonment, and concerns the NJ State Historic Preservation Office has in the matter (due to the C&A being eligible for the National Register of Historic Places).

Agway was the only major customer still on the portion of the line that remained in service, and I'm wondering if the remaining low-volume customers will justify Conrail holding onto it, or start the process of abandoning the rest of the railroad.
 #575353  by blockline4180

Off Pending wrote: Agway was the only major customer still on the portion of the line that remained in service, and I'm wondering if the remaining low-volume customers will justify Conrail holding onto it, or start the process of abandoning the rest of the railroad.
Okay, I think I understand now.. So there are still a few customers that get sporadic service on the western end of the line, but they may not be generating enough revenue to justify keeping the line...Am I right??

Thanks!
 #575449  by amtrakhogger

I think Ocean Spray in Bordentown and Yardville Supply are the last two customers. It is too bad because the line had many
customers at one time.
 #1128870  by CR8070

Just discovered this thread -- hate to break it to everyone (though, it's actually good news!) but the Agway is still very much active. They receive and send out about half a dozen hopper cars a week. They got five cars this past Tuesday night and sent out six. They are quite active!