Railroad Forums 

• The Freehold Secondary Mystery

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#601450  by GSC

Road service truck, usually a pickup or utility truck, outfitted with retractable flanged railroad wheels.

Some guys collect hi-railers and run - legally - on some rail lines.

Years ago I saw a Dodge Polara hi-rail inspection car running on the NY&LB at Red Bank, looked like an "unmarked" police car with hi-rail wheels.
 #601451  by GSC

This also includes bigger trucks, some with cranes or cherry pickers, front end loaders, and other rubber tired vehicles with additional flanged railroad wheels.

Guys who collect and run hi-railers don't usually go for bigger construction equipment, but you never know.
 #601762  by Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

Just a heads up that there is a good chance SA31 will be running down to Builders General in Freehold this afternoon. Because of the trackwork on the Amboy I believe they delivered a weeks work of lumber to hold them over until they could use the line. A drive past Browns this morning showed that the derail had been taken off the main which is a significant clue that they'll be running today. They usually leave the yard around 1PM in case anyone wants to get out and get a few cloudy shots! Again, I'm not positive they will be running but if they haven't snuck down at night in the past two days..its almost guaranteed.
 #601778  by Kaback9

Andrew Blaszczyk (2) wrote:Just a heads up that there is a good chance SA31 will be running down to Builders General in Freehold this afternoon. Because of the trackwork on the Amboy I believe they delivered a weeks work of lumber to hold them over until they could use the line. A drive past Browns this morning showed that the derail had been taken off the main which is a significant clue that they'll be running today. They usually leave the yard around 1PM in case anyone wants to get out and get a few cloudy shots! Again, I'm not positive they will be running but if they haven't snuck down at night in the past two days..its almost guaranteed.
Thanks for the heads up Andrew! I have some time to kill this afternoon and might just try my luck.
 #602031  by Eric Mezzo

I passed through Jamesburg about a couple of hours ago and I saw a long line of MOW equipment on the wye spur of the Freehold Secondary which leads to the southbound Amboy Secondary, about 5 or 6 of them. If you look on Google Earth or Maps, it is the spur that runs parallel to W. Sherman St. It was to dark to make out exactly what each of the cars were but I saw the yellow. I thought I saw a spiker and ballast cleaner but I don't know, I wasn't able to look long and get details with the traffic. Thought this might be worth mentioning...
 #602049  by Kaback9

Eric Mezzo wrote:I passed through Jamesburg about a couple of hours ago and I saw a long line of MOW equipment on the wye spur of the Freehold Secondary which leads to the southbound Amboy Secondary, about 5 or 6 of them. If you look on Google Earth or Maps, it is the spur that runs parallel to W. Sherman St. It was to dark to make out exactly what each of the cars were but I saw the yellow. I thought I saw a spiker and ballast cleaner but I don't know, I wasn't able to look long and get details with the traffic. Thought this might be worth mentioning...
Definetly is worth mentioning I don't think it ran though as SA31 has been reported already on the Southern Secondary. I didn't go searching anyway as i had something comeup.
 #602127  by Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

Kaback9 wrote:Definetly is worth mentioning I don't think it ran though as SA31 has been reported already on the Southern Secondary. I didn't go searching anyway as i had something comeup.
Well, it turns out I was wrong and '31 ran sometime between Wednesday afternoon and early Friday morning, but didn't leave any new loads at BG. Probably because they had brought in 4-5 cars early in the week. Anyone know how common it is for a Sunday run? I know I've seen it at least once a bit earlier than usual.
 #602142  by Kaback9

Andrew Blaszczyk (2) wrote:
Kaback9 wrote:Definetly is worth mentioning I don't think it ran though as SA31 has been reported already on the Southern Secondary. I didn't go searching anyway as i had something comeup.
Well, it turns out I was wrong and '31 ran sometime between Wednesday afternoon and early Friday morning, but didn't leave any new loads at BG. Probably because they had brought in 4-5 cars early in the week. Anyone know how common it is for a Sunday run? I know I've seen it at least once a bit earlier than usual.
If SA-31 gets back from the Southern Secondary early then a sunday run may be in the cards. They could also do a laet night run they have done that few times as well.

Wolfboy if your reading this can you help?
 #602225  by wolfboy8171981

They down friday afternoon. They tied up with the NS 5277 and 9 cars at BANK. I do not know for sure if the will run on Sunday or not. They had an extra job go to the Hightstown today, so the chances are good that they will run sunday afternoon back to Browns.
 #602229  by Kaback9

wolfboy8171981 wrote:They down friday afternoon. They tied up with the NS 5277 and 9 cars at BANK. I do not know for sure if the will run on Sunday or not. They had an extra job go to the Hightstown today, so the chances are good that they will run sunday afternoon back to Browns.
Thankyou Wolfboy!
 #602307  by 1st Barnegat

Pacobell73 wrote:When was the last time a train trekked between Freehold and Farmingdale?
And the answer is...(from Freehold Secondary OOS Section, at http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopi ... a&start=15)
CRRofNJ wrote:The Freehold Secondary had service between Freehold and Farmingdale right up to the start of Conrail. Since Conrail didn't want a portion of the line, NJDOT acquired the line somewhere east of Freehold (the exact point I'm not sure) into Farmingdale. The portion of the line owned by DOT was operated as a Light Density Line (LDL) and there used to be signs that designated the start of the LDL along the right of way. I really don't recall seeing any trains but one operate on the LDL section over the years.

The only section that sees service is the portion in Farmingdale that serves the lumber yard on Southard Avenue. This is served off the Southern Secondary and there are usually a number of cars there.
 #602845  by Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

Does anyone happen to work/live/frequent Freehold enough to provide a heads up on cars sitting at BG? Any reports of what cars are there would help enormously.

Since '31 came back from a visit on the Southern on Sunday and didn't appear to head down, I'd say there's a good chance today, but I've been wrong before. I know it wouldn't be 5277 since its not cloudy. LOL
 #602891  by Kaback9

Andrew Blaszczyk (2) wrote:Does anyone happen to work/live/frequent Freehold enough to provide a heads up on cars sitting at BG? Any reports of what cars are there would help enormously.

Since '31 came back from a visit on the Southern on Sunday and didn't appear to head down, I'd say there's a good chance today, but I've been wrong before. I know it wouldn't be 5277 since its not cloudy. LOL

If its heading down today it will be there around 4 I would think thats what it usually is but this is the Freehold line and things don't run on a usual schedule here :-) . As far as power goes it could be one of those CSX geeps that were sitting there yesterday. NS 5277 has been down here for sometime.
 #603107  by Blackseal Jim

The train went all the way through to Prestone around 8pm and came back through at 9pm. Bad timing as my wife and I just put the kids to bed and we live three blocks south from the exPRR station! Ill see if I can post whats is at BGS tomorrow. They seem to run Mondays regularly. Hope this helps Andrew
Jim H