Railroad Forums 

• The Freehold Secondary Mystery

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#591128  by Blackseal Jim

New mystery. Train came through Freehold at 6:30 pm on Monday. Came through again at 9:00 pm. I know that it goes through town to Prestone and back , but it repeated this move. Then I saw the train at 2:30 pm on Tues going to Prestone with a covered hopper , 3 tankers and the splat . Any one have any idea whats going on?
Jim H
 #591153  by Kaback9

Blackseal Jim wrote:New mystery. Train came through Freehold at 6:30 pm on Monday. Came through again at 9:00 pm. I know that it goes through town to Prestone and back , but it repeated this move. Then I saw the train at 2:30 pm on Tues going to Prestone with a covered hopper , 3 tankers and the splat . Any one have any idea whats going on?
Jim H
I saw it on Monday but did not have the camera with me, I did not know it came back Tues.
 #599135  by Pacobell73

When was the last time a train trekked between Freehold and Farmingdale?
 #599227  by Kaback9

Pacobell73 wrote:When was the last time a train trekked between Freehold and Farmingdale?
I think some of the ROW is actually ripped up as of now. Anyway to answer your question read back in this thread I think it was mentioned.
 #599681  by Blackseal Jim

The ROW between Freehold and Farmingdale is intact , but is becoming covered in brush and trees. As far as the last train through to Farmingdale , I think there was a move of a piece of equipment for a communications company in the mid 90's. That has been it since then. You couldnt even Hi Rail it now.
Jim H
 #599705  by Kaback9

Blackseal Jim wrote:The ROW between Freehold and Farmingdale is intact , but is becoming covered in brush and trees. As far as the last train through to Farmingdale , I think there was a move of a piece of equipment for a communications company in the mid 90's. That has been it since then. You couldnt even Hi Rail it now.
Jim H
your right I walked it this morning, its in terrible shape, in someplaces I couldn't find the rail.
 #600084  by Kaback9

NJTArrow2 wrote:Thanks does SA31 go down the Freehold secondary and what time do trains run on the secondary.
Read back in the thread, but usually Mondays 4pm its in Freehold. However I don't know its exact schedule anymore. Wofboy can you help?
 #600120  by Eric Mezzo

Kaback9 is actually right about the usual Monday trips at about 4pm. Up until about a year ago the train only came on Mon, Wed, and Fri. Lately they've been coming alot on Tuesdays and Wednesdays. I heard it on a Tuesday night and again the following Wednesday night. I even heard it on a Sunday night at 10. It's schedule is very irregular for some reason and is getting me frustrated. Maybe this is a result of the SA-35 merging with the SA-31and the conflicting runs down the Southern Secondary and the Freehold Secondary? I don't know...
 #600125  by Kaback9

Eric Mezzo wrote:Kaback9 is actually right about the usual Monday trips at about 4pm. Up until about a year ago the train only came on Mon, Wed, and Fri. Lately they've been coming alot on Tuesdays and Wednesdays. I heard it on a Tuesday night and again the following Wednesday night. I even heard it on a Sunday night at 10. It's schedule is very irregular for some reason and is getting me frustrated. Maybe this is a result of the SA-35 merging with the SA-31and the conflicting runs down the Southern Secondary and the Freehold Secondary? I don't know...
Right now they are doing some Track work on certain sections of the lines out of Browns so for all we know that could be screwing things up.
 #601144  by GSC

End-of-service on the Freehold Secondary is between Lanes Mills Road and Okerson Road, I think that's Freehold Township. From the By-pass Route 33 bridge over the ROW you can see the exact end of service at the offloading site for Prestone. (Look "compass" west / railroad east from the bridge, you'll see where the overgrowth starts)

About three years ago I saw some MOW equipment parked right at the Howell Road crossing for a few days, "compass east" (railroad west) of the By-pass Route 33 bridge.

Historical writings say this line was once so busy PRR planned to double-track it. Sure not that way anymore. Wonder how cost effective it is to runs any trains at all on this line?
 #601246  by gravelyfan

Blackseal Jim wrote:The ROW between Freehold and Farmingdale is intact , but is becoming covered in brush and trees. As far as the last train through to Farmingdale , I think there was a move of a piece of equipment for a communications company in the mid 90's. That has been it since then. You couldnt even Hi Rail it now.
Jim H
Hi Jim,

I hyrailed all the way through in 1995. More recent trips have had to get off at Oakerson Road.

Hope all is well with you.

Rich