Railroad Forums 

• The Freehold Secondary Mystery

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1434646  by CNWMAN

For those old enough to remember the doodlebug 4666 going through Freehold, it's interesting to watch the new videos of it running again on the Allentown and Auburn Railroad in Pennsylvania. Seeing it years ago was certainly an early inspiration for my lifelong interest in trains, it's cool to see it in operation going through the countryside in Pennsylvania as it did in Monmouth county years ago. Here's a link to it in operation on the Allentown and Auburn.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALjo1wc3xS0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1434820  by CNWMAN

Great pictures of the 4666. Seeing it on the Freehold Secondary in these photos again makes me wish it could come to Monmouth County for an excursion.....Here's a daydream scenario, reinstall the connection to the CNJ Freehold branch so the former Freehold CNJ station ( which I've heard is for sale and it's future uncertain) could be used as a siding and the boarding location ( more room for parking than downtown) for excursions from Jamesburg to Freehold, through Battlefield State park, etc. Turn on the wye at Jamesburg and return to Freehold. Have a docent ride and explain the details of the Battle of Monmouth to passengers.......Too bad there are so many reasons it would never happen...
 #1434833  by Blackseal Jim

I've actually thought about the same operation but between Freehold & Farmingdale. Our downtown area with all the wonderful restaurants, Wednesday Nite Freehold Idol , & the free Thursday nite concerts gets really congested. It could be a viable shuttle to get people in and out without traffic. Imagine riding the Doddlebug into Freehold to eat at Federici's !
Jim H
 #1434842  by pdtrains

all it takes is $$. It could happen, if someone has 10-20 million the want to throw at it. Its a 100% money losing operation. Something someone with big bucks would want to do for fun. This is new jersey...monster sized political contribution, sell it as creating jobs, and were off to the races..
 #1434879  by CNWMAN

Looking at the Yellowbrook Rd. picture it shows what looks like a position light signal, and a bell on a post. An earlier post had mentioned that the signal might be for the CNJ diamond in Farmingdale just down the track from Yellowbrook Rd. aways. If it is, how would it work in that capacity with three positions (assuming it is a three position light signal in the picture.) If it isn't for the diamond, did the Pennsy have signaling/designated passing sidings on the line from Jamesburg to Sea Girt? I think there is some kind of signal or electrical equipment between Oakerson and Howell Rd. as well.

Regarding the excursion fantasy, one big question would be if Conrail Shared Assets would allow an operator to use the line for this purpose. The usual insurance issues, etc. Somehow other locations make it work, I guess as part of a working shortline which provides the railroad and facilities for the excursions to take place, like the BR&W and the Auburn line it's operating on now.

Sure would be cool to go to Feds as you say Jim, Don Wood's Unique NY&LB mentions that the 4666 used to pick up pizza in Freehold, I'm assuming it would have been Fed's back then too.

Just remembered the 4666 wouldn't need the wye at Jamesburg I think it had dual controls.....
 #1435025  by R&DB

Saw the doodlbug a few times when I was about 10YO. Also remember Pennsy K4s when I was about 5. Miss those days! Such variety on the Freehold & NY&LB.
 #1435135  by Blackseal Jim

Excellent picture of the 612 passing the station in Farmingdale .Being born in 1969 , I sadly missed the Doodlebug .Really happy to see the 4666 at the A & A. The owner of the 4666 lives out there and it's easier for him to work on it there. I have a few friends who volunteeron the A & A and the Doodlebug will be getting a fresh PRR paint job soon.
Jim H
 #1435873  by David Hutchinson

I have not been down in this area since 1972. We used to warehouse at a company in Farmingdale, that used to make gun turrets for the Navy. They had an enclosed siding..... so, this thread caught my attention. I noticed, to the south east of Freehold, a series of sidings that came off a single track. What interested me was that each of the sidings had what appeared to be, from Google Maps, a large dumpster that had a paved "entrance" over the tracks..... I saw at least three of these.... what are they for?
 #1435982  by CNWMAN

Did you see this series of sidings on the Freehold Secondary trackage? The Earle ammunition depot has trackage and sidings similar to what you are describing located on the former Southern Secondary of the CNJ near Collingswood.
 #1436010  by Blackseal Jim

David Hutchinson wrote:I have not been down in this area since 1972. We used to warehouse at a company in Farmingdale, that used to make gun turrets for the Navy. They had an enclosed siding..... so, this thread caught my attention. I noticed, to the south east of Freehold, a series of sidings that came off a single track. What interested me was that each of the sidings had what appeared to be, from Google Maps, a large dumpster that had a paved "entrance" over the tracks..... I saw at least three of these.... what are they for?
I've seen that enclosed siding off the CNJ in Farmingdale. It was at Frequency Engineering . They were military contractors and security was tight. In the past years , Frequency Engineering has left and now the entire complex is a industrial complex. The siding you see in Freehold that's paved over , heads to a now county owned building. When I was a kid , that building was where Charms Blowpop's lollipops were made. Sadly, just a few hundred feet east is where the track is out of service.
Jim H
 #1436013  by David Hutchinson

Thanks for the Frequency name..... could not remember it. We used to have X-Ray machine parts made there... mainly what was called sand castings. I think the turrets made were the 5 inch variety. Was lucky enough to catch PC RS-11s at the former PRR/CNJ crossing in Farmingdale during 1972-73. And it is the Navy base where the siding are. Have never viewed the base on satellite....... it is amazing in size. Am I correct in guessing that the railroad pier is out of service?
 #1436037  by CNWMAN

The Earle pier and railroad are still operational as the entire depot is still an active military site. There's a thread devoted to activity on the Earle railroad as well.