Railroad Forums 

• TRENTON-CAMDEN LIGHT RAIL SYSTEM.. THE RIVER LINE

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#2223  by TAMR213

4 HOURS FROM TRENTON TO CAMDEN? Wow, sould like it would of been better just to make it heavy rail. Large waste of money needed elsewhere, cost way more then it should of.

#2230  by EDM5970

Erik, I think you misunderstood what John was saying. The ride is an hour and ten minutes, each way. To make a round trip properly, paying all fares, you need two tickets, each of which gets validated just before you get on the "vehicle", and each of which is good for two hours.

What John is saying is that for $2.20, you can ride for four hours. If you want to get off at, say Burlington Towne Center, and photograph and take the next train, you will be able to do it within the two hours that your ticket is good for.

#2313  by TAMR213

Thanks for the clarification EDM. But 2 hours still seems like a bit long.

#2348  by transit383

Two hours for a round trip is, IMO, a great time saver. Provided the train runs when you need it to and it goes wherever you are going, it sure beats driving. And the LRT doesn't really take you through the rough parts of Camden either, like where the highway exits let you off.

#2366  by EDM5970

Now its my turn to misunderstand. 2 hours seems a bit long... to do what? The trip is an hour and ten minutes each way. Add a twenty minute layover before the same set of equipment goes back, and a round trip takes two hours and forty minutes.

The two hours is part of the fare validation or proof of payment system. There are no tickets on the cars. You buy your ticket on the platform, and get it time stamped (validated) before you get on. Then you have two hours to complete your trip which should only take 1:10. Since a round trip takes over two hours, you will need a second ticket validated at the other end to return on.

If they didn't have the time stamps, people would buy one ticket, and use it (i.e. show it to the fare collection people, who make spot checks) until it fell apart. Very similar to transfers on busses in the city-

In terms of time, the Times of Trenton sent three reporters out yesterday to have a "race" from Burlington to Trenton. The River Line took 28 minutes, the car took 32 minutes, and the bus took 63. River Line costs were $1.10, the car cost $5.63 (at the IRS allowance of 37.5 cents per mile) and the bus fare was $1.85.

#2384  by TAMR213

I'm sorry EDM, I guess I mis-understood your clarification. I thought you ment it was 2 hours one way, and then 2 hours back.

#2429  by 1st Barnegat

EDM5970 wrote:...In terms of time, the Times of Trenton sent three reporters out yesterday to have a "race" from Burlington to Trenton. The River Line took 28 minutes, the car took 32 minutes, and the bus took 63. River Line costs were $1.10, the car cost $5.63 (at the IRS allowance of 37.5 cents per mile) and the bus fare was $1.85.
Not bad! Train beats car and bus. Seems like a way to guarantee ridership. Maybe speed does count.

#2459  by prt1607j

actually according to jim gerhardt the pass is a 4 hr pass for only 1.10

#2496  by Elwood

has anyone actually ridden it yet? I am afraid I won't be able to for a while, so I need to be filled in on what the ride is like.

Elwood

#2533  by EDM5970

I don't know who Jim Gerhardt is, but that information is WRONG. $1.10 each way, and a ticket is good for only two horus after validation. That information is in all the literature, marketing, and posted on the platforms. Yes, I've ridden it-

#2558  by JJMDiMunno

Elwood wrote:has anyone actually ridden it yet? I am afraid I won't be able to for a while, so I need to be filled in on what the ride is like.
I plan to, probably this Friday if it dosen't rain or snow or whatever the heck it's gonna do too bad. I need to scout that entire line out for photo locations...that's a good way to do it.

I've heard that the ride is nice and the cars run increadibly smoothly...

Take care.

#2579  by JDFX

So the Light Rail beat the Car and Bus... NICE...

Ok, but heres some questions.

1.) Is it expandable? Like the HB-LRT?

2.) How long before it will have paid for itself?

3.) Mike Dimunno's Assignment: Get some pics.

4.) Is there access to it from the NEC is Trenton? I am planning on going down there in the summer to take the ride myself, and I think it would be kinda cool to take trains all the way down and back.

(Lets see, NJT Mt. View to Hoboken, HB-LRT to Exchange Place, PATH to Newark Penn, NJT to Trenton.) Yeah I know its not the "most efficient" way down there, but it sure is the most varied. Would make for some fun.

#2640  by EDM5970

JDFX- The Trenton connection is right across the street. No matter what track you come in on with your NEC train, go up the stairs and go right. At the Roy Rogers, make a left and cross North Clinton Ave. at the light. That's it-

(Don't take the covered walkway to the street, there is a chain on the other side of the street. Speed bumps and a pedestrian crosswalk would be nice here-)

#2733  by chuchubob

Elwood wrote:has anyone actually ridden it yet? I am afraid I won't be able to for a while, so I need to be filled in on what the ride is like.

Elwood
Several people rode it (5000 on Sunday). There's a thread on the NJT Light Rail forum.

http://64.78.30.219/forums/viewtopic.php?t=64