• CSX ethanol train on the CCL

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#504457  by myfavscr

Last couple of trips on the NJTP I have noticed an ethanol train stopped
on the CCL just north of exit 12. They are usually NS but a couple have
been CSX including one today. Is CSX bringing Ethanol cars to Motiva
also? I also see that Motiva is expanding their ethanol unloading facility.
They are putting up new racks and adding a small storage yard.
 #504627  by wolfboy8171981

myfavscr wrote:Last couple of trips on the NJTP I have noticed an ethanol train stopped
on the CCL just north of exit 12. They are usually NS but a couple have
been CSX including one today. Is CSX bringing Ethanol cars to Motiva
also? I also see that Motiva is expanding their ethanol unloading facility.
They are putting up new racks and adding a small storage yard.
There is a siding in between Exit 13 and 12 called Trembley. That is usually the holding point for the CSX trains that are not quite ready to get to the plant or the place we put the CSX mty train when there is no CSX crew.

#504767  by SecaucusJunction

How often does CSX ship to Motiva? I didnt think they did all that often. Will that expansion of the yard create another unit train per day? Wasnt something supposed to go down between them and the new plant opened in Ohio?

#504831  by wolfboy8171981

SecaucusJunction wrote:How often does CSX ship to Motiva? I didnt think they did all that often. Will that expansion of the yard create another unit train per day? Wasnt something supposed to go down between them and the new plant opened in Ohio?
I would say we get on average 2-3 CSX trains a week and 5-6 NS trains. Not to mention that both railroads ship misc. cars in on 18G and Q433, that is why you've been seeing mty unit trains of around 120 cars. Quite often there will be one loaded train from each railroad.

#506280  by Earle Baldwin

I frequently see the ethanol trains in the siding. They often have very interesting locomotives. A few weeks ago, one had a TFM unit in the consist. There have been several with solid UP power as well.

Regards,

Earle

#506297  by Sirsonic

Motiva is currently expanding their unloading capacity at their Sewaren facility. When completed it should allow for 120 cars to be spotted for unloading at a time, up from the current 40 car capacity.

#507233  by PVRX1

There is one parked there as of about 5 hours ago with two BNSF pumpkin widecab GE's on the point. Nice shot from the pike if the sun were out.

#507244  by myfavscr

Just don't let a state trooper catch you takin pics of an ethanol train
from the shoulder of the NJTP! :wink:
 #1137814  by bigblue5277

There's an active tread on the NS 68Q ethanol trains; why not one on the CSX ethanol trains?
Caught a pair of UPs make an interesting maneuver at CP PD. I figure it had to be a CSX K train of some sort.
http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.p ... 92&nseq=28
 #1137885  by wolfboy8171981

bigblue5277 wrote:There's an active tread on the NS 68Q ethanol trains; why not one on the CSX ethanol trains?
Caught a pair of UPs make an interesting maneuver at CP PD. I figure it had to be a CSX K train of some sort.
http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.p ... 92&nseq=28
almost every csx train only has one cover car on the head end. This move is more common than you think, in essence they are running around the train to shove it down to Motiva, but they have to take the cover car with them so the turn the engines and car, plus now when the train is empty its pulled up and everything is acing the right way.
 #1137999  by bigblue5277

That is nice to know. It's still an interesting move I think. Makes me wonder if most NS ethanols have two covered hoppers. Now the csx train push to Motiva was slow. During the push to Motiva I'm wondering if there is a crewman that rides on the front car to make sure the road crossings are negotiated well.
wolfboy8171981 wrote:
almost every csx train only has one cover car on the head end. This move is more common than you think, in essence they are running around the train to shove it down to Motiva, but they have to take the cover car with them so the turn the engines and car, plus now when the train is empty its pulled up and everything is acing the right way.

Re:

#1138169  by Ken W2KB

myfavscr wrote:Just don't let a state trooper catch you takin pics of an ethanol train
from the shoulder of the NJTP! :wink:
Yep. :-)
http://www.state.nj.us/turnpike/public-records.html

Filming Policy

Filming on the New Jersey Turnpike or the Garden State Parkway is prohibited without the prior approval of the New Jersey Turnpike Authority.

To obtain that permission, you will need to submit a package that will include the following documents:

New Jersey Turnpike Authority film application
Certificates of liability insurance made out to the New Jersey Turnpike Authority as certificate holder
Copy of motor vehicle insurance policy
Signed indemnification form prepared by the Authority
Signed agreement prepared by the Authority requiring Licensee to reimburse the Authority for all overtime, vehicle use, and administrative overhead per personnel assigned to filming project
The submitted paperwork takes a minimum of two weeks to process and will not be considered until everything is filled out in its entirety.

Important:
Permits will not be issued until all requirements are fulfilled
Permits may be revoked at any time
In order to proceed and receive the required applications, please contact Stephen Baime, contracts manager, Patron Services and Business Development, at (732) 750-5300, extension 8485.