Railroad Forums 

• CNJ mainline-west of High Bridge

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#573235  by Bottle Rocket

When did the CNJ line East of High Bridge to Raritan become a dual track? Originally it was a single track.
 #573252  by henry6

Bottle Rocket wrote:When did the CNJ line East of High Bridge to Raritan become a dual track? Originally it was a single track.
I believe it is still single track east. Double track from Arch through High Bridge station to EOT.
 #573260  by Bottle Rocket

henry6 wrote:
Bottle Rocket wrote:When did the CNJ line East of High Bridge to Raritan become a dual track? Originally it was a single track.
I believe it is still single track east. Double track from Arch through High Bridge station to EOT.
CNJ removed one set about 16 years ago. My mother has lived next to the CNJ since 1940 and she said it was a dual track back then. There is an abandoned track next to the old dual track that was there. When I say abandoned I mean no evidence.

Robert
 #573297  by transit383

henry6 wrote:
There is also a second track (passing siding) newly installed through White House/ Readington. Aside from that, the line in single tracked from Raritan west.
 #573322  by Jtgshu

At least one train in the AM pulls west to about MP53 (about a mile west of High Bridge) to layover while another train comes up behind them and heads east out of High Bridge. Its stick rail and the track is in good condition. Haven't made it out to MP54 yet.......almost once, but didn't work out :) From ARCH interlocking to MP54 is considered a "station track" and revenue trains are allowed to use up to MP54. From MP54 to MP60.1 I think it is, NJT owns and maintains, but is considered OOS. West of MP60.1 is owned by NS as I believe it is the Central Running Track.

At ARCH, you have the main through the station, which is the track closest to the station building. the other track is im assuming the former leg of a wye and connection to the High Bridge Branch. Just before where it would have turned to go north, there is a bumping block. you can see where the track was cut in the woods.

That track comes back into the single track at ARCH, and at the other end of ARCH, a passing siding starts on the South Side of the Single. That track is the passing siding, and continues through Annadale Station (the track closest to hte parking lot, that the stupid little asphalt walkways are over, is the siding) and continues to CLINTON interlocking, which is right under the Route 22 and I78 bridges, by the Annandale exit (16 i think?).

From there, its single track to the new siding, called the Whitehouse Passing Siding which splits off the Single at Cush, and comes back in at Tunk (going east). After that, its single track to Brad, and at Brad (west end of Raritan Yard), it looks like double track, but its not, as the track inbetween Brad and Boyd (east end of Raritan yard) is the Raritan Running track, and is used for laying over/storing of trains and equipment. the "offical" double track starts at Boyd, where the single track turns into Track 1, and the Raritan Runner runs into Track 2. Its double track all the way to Aldene.
 #573591  by Bottle Rocket

transit383 wrote:
henry6 wrote:
There is also a second track (passing siding) newly installed through White House/ Readington. Aside from that, the line in single tracked from Raritan west.
Like I said before it is single from Raritan going west to at least Whitehouse for around 16 years. When it was built from Raritan to High Bridge in 1847 - 1848 it was single then and later it was dual track. I am trying to find out when it was built into dual track because that is when they cut through a mountain of shale in Bridgewater. There were two cuts in the mountain of shale one for the original track and another was cut for the dual track at a later date.

Robert
 #573656  by gravelyfan

Jtgshu wrote: From MP54 to MP60.1 I think it is, NJT owns and maintains, but is considered OOS. West of MP60.1 is owned by NS as I believe it is the Central Running Track.
NJT owns the property (CNJ ROW) all the way from Aldene to just west of the Pburg Union station. From Bloomsbury east to Asbury the track is "freight only" (similar to the Southern Secondary) maintained/operated by NS (in this case) but still NJT owned.
 #573725  by henry6

According to Physical Characteristics of NJT of 1993, the only edition I have, NJT owns CNJ line to MP 60.10. Only Lehigh Line trackage is that used for the Alden connections nor is there any diagram or statemenet of any other track on either line being operated, maintained, or owned by NJT. But as I said, that was 1993.
 #573790  by transit383

henry6 wrote:According to Physical Characteristics of NJT of 1993, the only edition I have, NJT owns CNJ line to MP 60.10. Only Lehigh Line trackage is that used for the Alden connections nor is there any diagram or statemenet of any other track on either line being operated, maintained, or owned by NJT. But as I said, that was 1993.
MP 60.10 puts you right at this grade crossing:

Ludlow Station Road, looking east

It makes sense that NJT would maintain out to that grade crossing since that is the end of their property. Between Ludlow Station Road and Valley Station Road, the tracks are heavily overgrown. From Valley Station Road west, the tracks are clear of obstructions.
 #573923  by Jtgshu

henry6 wrote:According to Physical Characteristics of NJT of 1993, the only edition I have, NJT owns CNJ line to MP 60.10. Only Lehigh Line trackage is that used for the Alden connections nor is there any diagram or statemenet of any other track on either line being operated, maintained, or owned by NJT. But as I said, that was 1993.
The Physical Characterisics book of NJT (the 1993 or newer editions) only show lines that are used for revenue service, and their extensions (i.e. - the end of the RVL at 60.1). It doesn't show all the lines that NJT owns, as if it did, it would show the Southern Secondary, the Freehold Secondary, the Freehold Branch, the Cape May Seashore Lines, etc etc etc. There very well might be an agreement for freight to operate adn maintain trackage that NJT owns, like there is on the Southern Secondary. MP60.1 could be one of those locations, just like Southern Yard and CQ on the Amboy Sec where NJT "maintence" ends, and the freight RR responsibilty begins, but not necessarily actual ownership.

There was a poster here TGIV i believe his s/n was, that was very knowledgeable about the NJT track maintence and responsibilites, I haven't seen him post in a while though
 #628510  by Port Jervis

Jtgshu wrote:At least one train in the AM pulls west to about MP53 (about a mile west of High Bridge) to layover while another train comes up behind them and heads east out of High Bridge. Its stick rail and the track is in good condition. Haven't made it out to MP54 yet.......almost once, but didn't work out :) From ARCH interlocking to MP54 is considered a "station track" and revenue trains are allowed to use up to MP54. From MP54 to MP60.1 I think it is, NJT owns and maintains, but is considered OOS. West of MP60.1 is owned by NS as I believe it is the Central Running Track.

At ARCH, you have the main through the station, which is the track closest to the station building. the other track is im assuming the former leg of a wye and connection to the High Bridge Branch. Just before where it would have turned to go north, there is a bumping block. you can see where the track was cut in the woods.

That track comes back into the single track at ARCH, and at the other end of ARCH, a passing siding starts on the South Side of the Single. That track is the passing siding, and continues through Annadale Station (the track closest to hte parking lot, that the stupid little asphalt walkways are over, is the siding) and continues to CLINTON interlocking, which is right under the Route 22 and I78 bridges, by the Annandale exit (16 i think?).

From there, its single track to the new siding, called the Whitehouse Passing Siding which splits off the Single at Cush, and comes back in at Tunk (going east). After that, its single track to Brad, and at Brad (west end of Raritan Yard), it looks like double track, but its not, as the track inbetween Brad and Boyd (east end of Raritan yard) is the Raritan Running track, and is used for laying over/storing of trains and equipment. the "offical" double track starts at Boyd, where the single track turns into Track 1, and the Raritan Runner runs into Track 2. Its double track all the way to Aldene.
Speaking of the White House siding, is it ever used? I've looked at the RVL schedules and it doesn't appear that there are ever any two revenue service trains operating west of Raritan in the opposite direction at any time. Whatever enters the single track segment has the whole line to themselves all the way to HB and back.

Re:

#628513  by Port Jervis

uhaul wrote:The shots are so intriguing and please shoot more if you can. I am interested in abandoned places/objects in general so this really caught my eye. I am surprised the tracks have not been removed.

HAPPY 2008

I type in Brown because I can.
I don't get the feeling that NJT's abandonment of the railroad west of High Bridge was to be permanent, or even long term.

I still think that the most realistic option for some restored service is to build a large P & R near Ludlow so that the I-78 drivers can use it instead of the poorly located and woefully undersized lot in Annandale. In essence, do exactly what Metro North did with the Wassaic extension 10 years ago, even if it means both station and lot are in the middle of nowhere.