Railroad Forums 

• Freehold Secondary OOS Section

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1028984  by GSC

A severed connection. Not good news. Remember Lakehurst being taken apart, then the new runaround in Lakewood? *sniff*

History sliced in two. This section, between Freehold and Farmingdale, dates from 1861. (Freehold was reached in 1853).
 #1029005  by blockline4180

GSC wrote:A severed connection. Not good news. Remember Lakehurst being taken apart, then the new runaround in Lakewood? *sniff*

Don't loose hope!
There are "rumors" going around that Lakehurst Naval Air base(JBMDL) is interested in using rail service again.... I know it is only a rumor, but it comes from a former railroad employee and he usually doesn't spew falsehoods.. If I find out more I'll post it!

As the saying goes...Stay tuned!
 #1029162  by Blackseal Jim

Who actually owns this part of the line. Conrail or NJT ? Theyre replacing ties through Freehold and ripping up crossings in the OOS section. I heard that Fairfield Rd xing is gone too. BTW, where ya been Gary ? Welcome back !
Jim H
 #1029400  by David

blockline4180 wrote:

Don't loose hope!
There are "rumors" going around that Lakehurst Naval Air base(JBMDL) is interested in using rail service again.... I know it is only a rumor, but it comes from a former railroad employee and he usually doesn't spew falsehoods.. If I find out more I'll post it!

As the saying goes...Stay tuned!

Yes, Steve--This "rumor" has crossed my desk too along with other, "rumors"-- Sounds good so far--
 #1030718  by GSC

Not much work in Freehold lately for me, Jim. Slow season with the tracks closed.

Fairfield Road was a bad Xing, bad bump. Funny thing, it was never declared exempt, so school buses still had to stop there.

I've heard rumors of the Lakehurst-Dix-McGuire "superbase" would all be connected by the Southern. So I've heard. Allegedly, the bases would be connected by rail and have access to Earle and the piers as well.
 #1030877  by David

And how will they connect the physical plant of Fort Dix?
 #1030918  by Blackseal Jim

Id imagine they would just use the siding that goes into Lakehurst . Remember when they had to move out that contaminated dirt 10 years ago or so. they trucked in to Lakehurst then loaded it . This still doesnt help the OOS section of the FIT though. The past couple of years hasnt been kind to the Southern Div or the FIT recently.
Jim H
 #1031231  by David

Blackseal Jim wrote:Id imagine they would just use the siding that goes into Lakehurst . Remember when they had to move out that contaminated dirt 10 years ago or so. they trucked in to Lakehurst then loaded it . This still doesnt help the OOS section of the FIT though. The past couple of years hasnt been kind to the Southern Div or the FIT recently.
Jim H

Thanks Jim---New "rumor" is that the Pemberton / Mt Holly branch will be rebuilt to Ft. Dix---- This sounds hard to believe and is doubted.
 #1031278  by Blackseal Jim

David wrote:
Blackseal Jim wrote:Id imagine they would just use the siding that goes into Lakehurst . Remember when they had to move out that contaminated dirt 10 years ago or so. they trucked in to Lakehurst then loaded it . This still doesnt help the OOS section of the FIT though. The past couple of years hasnt been kind to the Southern Div or the FIT recently.
Jim H

Thanks Jim---New "rumor" is that the Pemberton / Mt Holly branch will be rebuilt to Ft. Dix---- This sounds hard to believe and is doubted.
Now that would be something to see! Wow . But yea , Im not going to hold my breath.
Jim H
 #1031995  by GSC

Probably right after the new and wonderful MOM service is up and running.