Railroad Forums 

• Freehold Secondary OOS Section

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#899812  by Blackseal Jim

Came through Farmingdale today on Rt 524. I dont know what went through there , but it wasn't a rail vehicle. Looks more like a backhoe by the piles of dirt pushed around. Flange ways are also undisturbed.
Jim H
 #900578  by GSC

Someone is watching this thread and is running something over that crossing just to see how excited we all get. Maybe Steve Meier? He lives right near there.

I would do something like that.
 #901224  by Blackseal Jim

ApproachMedium wrote:Id borrow a ditch cart to make the flangeways and push it or pull it thru with my pickup LOL.
I bet your responsible for the "crop circles" as well ! LOL
 #905637  by GSC

Disturb the flangeways, and about 2 AM let loose with a Morse code "Q" with a deep-note GG1 horn.

(A Morse code Q is the grade crossing signal, btw)

- - * -
 #905659  by Blackseal Jim

While driving around yesterday, I saw JCP&L crews working on the poles next to the ROW in between the Rt #33 bridge & Halls Mills Rd. Im guessing the work in Farmingdale and here is just maintenance by JCP&L , no rehab yet.
Jim H
 #923655  by GSC

In a "what-if" scenario, and freight service was restored between Howell and Farmingdale, maybe these industries would use rail service?

The truss factory on Bennett Rd, west of Fairfield Rd
The concrete pipe plant on Yellowbrook Rd
Stavola, across from the pipe plant
The cement plant across from the pipe plant
The old Gold Lumber yard

Back in Freehold:
Clayton concrete
The Nescafe plant

Any other industries along the line here?
 #923715  by southern sec. kid

I was talking to the owner of shop n bag in farmingdale and he is good friends with the owner of gold lumber and he told me someones interested in buying it and if they don't he wants to try and reopen by the end of summer! The owner of golds told him that they raised enough money to try again for a while and see how it goes. I don't see that happening but it would be nice to see.
 #924012  by Blackseal Jim

GSC wrote:In a "what-if" scenario, and freight service was restored between Howell and Farmingdale, maybe these industries would use rail service?

The truss factory on Bennett Rd, west of Fairfield Rd
The concrete pipe plant on Yellowbrook Rd
Stavola, across from the pipe plant
The cement plant across from the pipe plant
The old Gold Lumber yard

Back in Freehold:
Clayton concrete
The Nescafe plant

Any other industries along the line here?
Dont forget about the old 3M building, which now houses the Asbury Park Press, & Iron Mountain ,the old Brockway Glass building.
Jim H
 #924014  by GSC

Yup, forgot them for some reason. Imagine if they all had rail service! A train a day!

And the Coke warehouse on Oakerson Road too, and the firewood guy under the Park Ave bridge.
 #924853  by Blackseal Jim

Never knew till I hiked it a few years back, but the old Charms Blowpop building had rail service. Its now a county building. BTW, theres no a in Okerson. Dont want to offend Ginny !
Jim H
 #924939  by GSC

Flying fingers typo on Okerson. Didn't proofread very well.

Which building is the old Charms? Not familiar with that.

The county warehouse (if this isn't the Charms building) on Halls Mills and the rail crossing by Prestone would need rail service too. Don't know why, but we'll put a siding there anyway. Reopen Suburban Propane and give them service too.

Lots of traffic, especially with all that MOM passenger service flying through there.
 #925516  by CJPat

Is Reid's still around? They closed up their facility on Adelphia Rd and sold the property off to housing developments a few years ago.