Railroad Forums 

• Ex Amtrak FL-9 #484 now FEC in Kearny JCT

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#408325  by nick11a

My guess... real soon. And apparently, I heard somewhere that the Maine and Eastern Engine sitting there at the shops has recieved a down payment on so that one maybe heading out relatively soon. Boy, these unrebuilt ex-Amtrak F40s have quite a track record.

#408408  by Angus202

...Would make sense why they fired it up last week to take for a spin with some suites and couple of mechanics.

#409625  by Wanderer

I'm starting to wonder if they'll ever accept it in interchange. The waybill information and paperwork was reported...

#409628  by RS115

Movement of dead locomotives traveling without a rider is often pretty low on the priority list. For example when M&E 'shipped' one of the engines home to Morristown from Bayway (over a year ago - it's in the M&E thread somewhere) the loco sat at Allentown for quite some time before it got brought east. Have heard similar stories about other such moves.

#409632  by DutchRailnut

Crews are usually not willing to accept a dead old engine in interchange and will often request a MofE supervisor to make decision.
A locomotive like this has no valid blue form or brake sign off (daily card), it some times takes days to get a MofE team to meet the crew of a outbound train and perform braketest and inspection before unit is accepted.

#414489  by RichM

Someone posted this Friday on the New York forum, I saw it moving north at CP-5 at about 7 PM Thursday evening. It was pouring, but I believe the engine was spliced between the second and third road units, with some sort of idler Amtrak car... sorry, I was too far away to make a clean ID.

#414516  by pumpers

I'm not an expert on CSX routings and how things
really work on the RR, but if it's going to Florida,
why wouldn't they send it down the Trenton line, like the
juice trains, rather than up and over water level route?
JS

#414519  by Angus202

maybe a trip to AMP in Dansville before it goes home?

#414555  by nick11a

pumpers wrote:I'm not an expert on CSX routings and how things
really work on the RR, but if it's going to Florida,
why wouldn't they send it down the Trenton line, like the
juice trains, rather than up and over water level route?
JS
Who knows. But my sources have said it is going to the Florida East Coast.

#414557  by DutchRailnut

Well its owned by FEC, hence the reporting marks, but nobody knows were it goes,
If I were FEC I would let Altoona do work they proven with NS OCS they can do great job, at AMP the unit would get there and sit till the bitter end. did that place release anything yet ??

#414560  by RichM

Yes, some units for Susquehanna...

But to your point, unit could be going to Altoona, or Larry's for that matter. A lot of small rebulding shops open and close at the drop of a hat... the intrigue continues!

#414631  by Wanderer

Typical CSX out of the way routing...Q273 to Selkirk, Q285 to Buffalo. The unit, now owned by Florida East Coast, is currently enroute to Cumberland from Buffalo on Q64122. From there it should catch a train to Waycross, and then from Waycross to Bowden (Miami).