Railroad Forums 

• Westville Cut-off

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#512926  by David

georgehyland wrote:Here are my pictures from a few weeks ago. I think they came out pretty good. This link should work:

http://www.georgehyland.com/georgehylan ... utoff.html

I am headed down to the shore on Good Friday, and I will be picking a spot down there to explore and photograph.

Nice pictures--Thanks for sharing!--They are from the Saddlers woods area, in Westmont?
 #520505  by Maggi

Weather permitting, there is a big event for the 50th Anniversary of Van Sciver School in Westmont on Saturday, April 5. Tours of the woods will be given, and I (Maggi) will be one of the tour guides.

Anyone who has any information on the Westville Cut (the gully) area of Saddlers Woods is welcome to come and share info with me or Sandy Grear, the head of the Historical Society.
 #558979  by JJMDiMunno

Resurrecting this thread for more info...

David and I explored the area when he was here in NJ last month. We were attempting to locate the tracks behind Paul VI, which we were under the impression existed there. This question mostly directed at Maggi...we were wondering if you can provide us with any more detailed a description of the track's location? Brush was pretty heavy, and so we could have easily missed them I suppose. Another excursion into the marsh is set for this winter.

Is there anyone that's seen this second set of narrow guage rails? The set in question is not the set off of Merchant Street in Audubon...the set in question is the ones near Paul VI. Anyone with photos from this location is welcome to chime in...

Likewise, anyone with a better description of location is welcome to reply. Maybe a PSE&G pole number (PSE&G poles line the ROW). ANYTHING more detailed...

Mike DiMunno
 #619956  by jarmat1

I just joined as a member, and I would love to see the map you made of the Westville Cutoff. I have been a rail fan for years, especially the abandoned railways in South Jersey.

Thanks,
Bill L.
 #681661  by railroadcarmover

I am so fascinated with this narrow gauge rail line and the fact that it still exists the way it does and is literally under a stream.

http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=westvil ... ks+&m=text

The 8th photo is most amazing to me.

I found these shots online and I wonder if anyone else has taken any photographs of it.
One of these days I plan on venturing down to this area to see this trackage.
 #681944  by CJPat

Those pics are truly fascinating!
 #685078  by dbouski

I just joined this site, because I needed some info on the "Hinky-Dinks" for my older brother who played there as a kid. I found a pic of the "Hinks" when searcing for closed drive-in theaters in South Jersey. I don't know how to post a link, so here goes .... Go to Drive-Ins.com, scroll down to "Directory", click on "Closed", type in "Starlite Drive-In, Gloucester, NJ",click on "Go", click on "Starlite Drive-In", click on photo to enlarge .... the "Hinks" are above & to the rt. of the drive-in. My brother & friends used to ride their bikes up & down the hills, and sometimes would watch movies at the Starlite.
 #689872  by David

dbouski wrote:I just joined this site, because I needed some info on the "Hinky-Dinks" for my older brother who played there as a kid. My brother & friends used to ride their bikes up & down the hills, and sometimes would watch movies at the Starlite.

I did the same thing (late 50s & 60s )--Maybe I met your brother then. I lived in Mt Ephraim---We used to throw dirt-bombs at the Gloucester City boys at the Hinks. :-)
 #1349429  by johnnyloco

Wow, this thread has been inactive for over 6 years now? Has a new thread stared for it elsewhere on the site? Since 2011, I try to visit the Cut-off once or twice a year.
Were any rails discovered behind Paul VI? There was a long piece of rail in someone's backyard that faced the Cut-off between Paul VI and where the existing narrow gauge tracks are so I'd say it's plausible that some rail might be still buried in the swamp in that section. I live on West End Ave. near where the Cut-off would've ran. Between there and the PATCO tracks (where Elm Ave. and Linden Ave. meet in Haddonfield), some work was getting done on a water or sewer main. During the construction, I walked around since they were digging where the Cut-off would've ran and I found a narrow gauge angle bar laying in the grass near the site. Pretty interesting. Even though the excavation of the cut stopped at Crystal Lake Ave., this angle bar was found another 3 blocks north.

Here's some recent photos-
http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/archiv ... ?id=111986" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

John D.
 #1592924  by Mtassogloy

David I would really like map of westville cutoff if you could possibly email me [email protected]. I live in Audubon and used to hang out in oaklyn in the tunnels/pipes (once went in them pipes with friends and backpacks loaded with food and batteries and went walking in pipes for hrs) but when we weren't in there we were walking the trails following the tracks and ive always wanted to walk the whole thing. Would love to use your map.
 #1592925  by Mtassogloy

David I would really like map of westville cutoff if you could possibly email me [email protected]. I live in Audubon and used to hang out in oaklyn in the tunnels/pipes (once went in them pipes with friends and backpacks loaded with food and batteries and went walking in pipes for hrs) but when we weren't in there we were walking the trails following the tracks and ive always wanted to walk the whole thing. Would love to use your map.
 #1592956  by David

Hello--Will try to find them. My maps are very detailed. Thanks for your interest.
 #1592994  by Mtassogloy

David wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 12:37 pm Hello--Will try to find them. My maps are very detailed. Thanks for your interest.
My father in law paul(76) is part of historical society in Audubon used to play down there when he was young. Also he loves trains collects them, has parts of the cut off. He said he would love to see and show your maps to historical society if you find them. Thanks again
 #1593106  by pumpers

I missed (or more likely forgot) this thread from ~2009. When was the PRR building this? I imagine over 100 years ago. Amazing that ties are still there and the gauge still looks pretty good. Jim S