Railroad Forums 

• SIRR container traffic to NJ to start this month....

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#389442  by myfavscr

The container port is ready for rail service. NYCT has the engine,about
6 or 7 tracks for unloading intermodal cars, and Arlington Yard for
storage. The problem maybe this:

Terminal mad about PA's dollar demands
Says request for $54M could scuttle a sale

Sunday, April 15, 2007
BY JOE MALINCONICO
Star-Ledger Staff
The proposed $470 million sale of a Staten Island shipping terminal operation may collapse due to the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey's efforts to collect $54 million from the deal, company officials said.

"The Port Authority is not being flexible at all," said Jim De vine, president of New York Container Terminal. "It looks like the deal is going to get killed."

Port Authority officials said they remain willing to negotiate with the three companies involved -- Orient Overseas of Hong Kong, the would- be seller; Ontario Teachers' Pension Plan, the would-be buyer; and New York Container Terminal, which runs the shipping operation for Orient Overseas.

The Port Authority said it is asking Orient Overseas and the Ontario Teachers' fund for $54 million to cover capital improvements it has made to the docks and for future upgrades.

The agency made a similar request earlier this year when DP World sold Port Newark Container Terminal to AIG Global Investment Group. The Port Authority reaped $50 million from that deal after originally asking for $84 million.

"We're trying to be good stewards of the public's money and making sure the public investment is not being used to leverage financial gain for a private investor," Port Authority spokesman Steve Coleman said.

But Devine said the Port Authority's tactics were akin to "extortion" and he argued the agency could end up stunting the growth projected for the region's port.

"This is going to send a signal to the investment community that this is not a good place to do business," Devine said.

The Port Authority owns the 155-acre terminal at the southwestern tip of Staten Island, just across from Elizabeth, and has a lease with New York Container Terminal. In 2006, the Staten Island terminal handled 383 ships and moved about 555,000 cargo containers. Those numbers make it smaller than the three major terminals in Newark and Elizabeth.

But New York Container Terminal is in the midst of ambitious ex pansion, including the opening of a rail link to New Jersey and the construction of a fourth shipping berth.

Devine said there is a disparity between the way the Port Authority is handling the sale of the Staten Island terminal and the way it approached the deal involving DP World and the terminal in Newark.

"We're a smaller terminal and they're holding us up for more money," Devine said.

In the DP World deal, the Port Authority came under intense political pressure to drop its demands because prominent elected officials were anxious to see the Dubai- based company give up its owner ship of an American port.

The Port Authority spokesman said even if the sale of the New York Container Terminal collapses, the terminal would continue to operate under a lease that runs for another 12 years.

"The people should know that it will not shut down," Coleman said. "Not one job will be lost."

Joe Malinconico may be reached at [email protected] or (973) 392-4230.

#391180  by james1787

That is great news to hear trains have actually gone over the bridge again after many years. I can't wait to see the pics!! Speaking of which, how is the process going of getting them posted?

#391216  by SIRR4207

I have a few shots to post but Railroadpicarchives.net denied my membership. Any other ideas?

#391900  by DogBert

photobucket, flickr, etc. tons of free photo hosting services.

if rrpictures is to lame to let you upload them it's their loss. (kinda dumb of them to say no to relevant content...)

#392164  by CleanCab_108

Guys,

BY8 is clear of the "port." Not sure if that train runs any other routes or its doing a Staten Island run.
Last edited by CleanCab_108 on Mon Feb 18, 2008 2:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

#395776  by SIRR4207

Wide Body Conrail engine headed towards the Ak lift bridge with about 40 cars for NJ.

#395946  by SIRR4207

I was driving on western avenue today and I noticed that New York Container Terminal started its freights operations today.

#395992  by VinLaz

Are there intermodal cars in Howland Hook yet?
Havent caught the trash train in a week. :(

#396023  by SIRR4207

No cars yet but my friend who works there said end of the month the crews are just training on the locomotive again to freshen up.

#396065  by blockline4180

SIRR4207 wrote:No cars yet but my friend who works there said end of the month the crews are just training on the locomotive again to freshen up.
Wonderful news :-) Keep us updated if you can, thanks! :-D

#397762  by SIRR4207

I was driving around today and I noticed that the Vanbro Corp and Visy paper plant have there sidings complete. Also if any conrail employees who come on this forum do you know if the BY8 garbage train runs on the weekends? And what frequency do they wokr on I never hear them. I thought its south jersey.

#398486  by SIRR4207

I was driving on south avenue tonight and when I went over the overpass over arlington yard I noticed that there were about 30 garbage cars stored on the Wye track in the yard. I don't know if the were loads or empties. My guess is empties for tomorrows train. Well I figured I'd share the news

#398541  by VinLaz

I see trash cars sitting over there all the time. Also alongside the NYCT building on Western ave

#398612  by SIRR4207

Same Cars are sitting there today. No sight of a train but my friends who work at NYCT said it went by around 930am light no cars. It may be hiding somewhere on the huge 4 mile line...lol

#399516  by SIRR4207

Did some adventuring today. Went to Arlington Yard took some shots of the massive amounts of garbage cars being stored in the yard. Drove to victory blvd by visy paper and took some shots over there and caught the massive 6 axel spotting cars around 1230 at the fresh kills transfer station.