• SIRR container traffic to NJ to start this month....

  • Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

  • 206 posts
  • 1
  • 9
  • 10
  • 11
  • 12
  • 13
  • 14

  by Steve F45
 
well hopefully people will use good judgement and not try and push the limits of the police and where they can and cannot go. If it looks like you shouldn't be there, better to stay away and the keep going.

Some people who visit the njt forum know of certain people who love to just go where they please.

  by SIRR4207
 
If you viewed my videos there are some places you can catch freight action. Like south avenue railroad crossing which is very easy to get to off rt440. Even the south avenue overpass you can catch the NYCT crew doing work in arlington yard. And western Avenue you can pull over by the overpass to take some shots.

  by james1787
 
Would you rather they not do anything and not bother with unknown people taking pictures of rail lines? Unfortunately everything changed on 9/11. They are just doing their job to ensure our safety. Give them a little slack, please. I'm just as ticked as anyone else that we now need all this security because of whack jobs out there but that's they way it is.

  by pjb_dinky
 
james1787 wrote:Would you rather they not do anything and not bother with unknown people taking pictures of rail lines?
I don't mean to be flippant, but, yes, that would be fine with me.

  by SecaucusJunction
 
How has this traffic been lately? Do they still run out of Staten Island on a daily basis? Has there been any growth in the trash/intermodal traffic coming out of there?

  by wolfboy8171981
 
SecaucusJunction wrote:How has this traffic been lately? Do they still run out of Staten Island on a daily basis? Has there been any growth in the trash/intermodal traffic coming out of there?
They do around 11-15 trash a day, abut 2500 feet of CSX Vans and 750-1000 feet of NS Vans. The CSX traffic is put in Portside for Q163 and the NS traffic is for 23M

  by SecaucusJunction
 
Thats not very much... Shouldnt they be running more of each? Thats a pretty large container yard over there and the trash transfer station should be upwards of 1000 tons per day.

  by Jtgshu
 
SecaucusJunction wrote:Thats not very much... Shouldnt they be running more of each? Thats a pretty large container yard over there and the trash transfer station should be upwards of 1000 tons per day.
Ever hear of "baby steps?" Im sure traffic will increase - once CSX and NS get their feet wet with it, and AK draw gets more broken in. Over 4000 feet of train daily is pretty significant, IMO for only having the line in service for a few months now.........

  by Jayjay1213
 
Unless my math is off, 11-15 cars of garbage a day is 1100-1500 tons of garbage a day. A loaded car is around 130 tons, 30 of which is the empty car weight. Feel a bit better Mr Junction?

  by psct29
 
What kind of traffic is coming over from Howland Hook these days? I noticed a few weeks ago they changed the operating rules for AK Draw, with "four daily thirty minute unscheduled closure periods, Monday through Friday as coordinated by the VTS office" as opposed to the two scheduled 1 hour closings 9-10am and 12-1pm, and two unscheduled 30 minute closings as was operated the last few months.

  by Jayjay1213
 
Today the PN-8 had two UP engines, 9 garbage cars and 24 intermodal cars (84 buckets) returning from Staten Island.

  by SecaucusJunction
 
Is it true that while CSX has been adding extra sections of trains and adding even new trains on certain days from traffic from S.I., that NS has actually lost all of that traffic? I gotta tell you, it wouldnt surprise me. They were never able to gain very much to begin with and continue to watch their competition take traffic away from them. While CSX now adds extra trains, NS's trains are getting continually shorter, with only one exception of 24V, which is handling other trains former traffic. I went to the River Line last weekend and saw at least 2 intermodal trains that were over 150 "buckets" each, filled with Schneider containers, Pacer containers and many other kinds. Meanwhile, NS runs their pathetically short stack trains and only one TOFC train in each direction per day. What respect I did have for NS is fading away quickly and the new railroad that I see gaining traffic in the region is the blue and yellow. Hey, I gotta give them credit for trying......

  by wolfboy8171981
 
SecaucusJunction wrote:Is it true that while CSX has been adding extra sections of trains and adding even new trains on certain days from traffic from S.I., that NS has actually lost all of that traffic? I gotta tell you, it wouldnt surprise me. They were never able to gain very much to begin with and continue to watch their competition take traffic away from them. While CSX now adds extra trains, NS's trains are getting continually shorter, with only one exception of 24V, which is handling other trains former traffic. I went to the River Line last weekend and saw at least 2 intermodal trains that were over 150 "buckets" each, filled with Schneider containers, Pacer containers and many other kinds. Meanwhile, NS runs their pathetically short stack trains and only one TOFC train in each direction per day. What respect I did have for NS is fading away quickly and the new railroad that I see gaining traffic in the region is the blue and yellow. Hey, I gotta give them credit for trying......
I dont understand what your getting at here. I have been saying for the last 4 months that there are extra trains out of S.I in the form of X163's. And there is also traffic from S.I that is part of 23M. When you went to the River Line did you also see that Q161 has been annulled one day a week and Q156 was annulled at Syracuse twice and Q118 and Q156 combined were only 3000 feet to Kearny most of the week. For every one thing you find wrong with the NS I can tell you Three wrong with the CSX.

  by VinLaz
 
Just spotted two Kansas City Southern SD70s pulling the trash train out of Fresh Kills landfill.

  by nycrailfan
 
Being a Staten Island resident I rarely see anything. Only one time I saw 2 vacant SD40-2s sitting right by a crossing. How many times a day or week do trains run in and out of Staten Island?
  • 1
  • 9
  • 10
  • 11
  • 12
  • 13
  • 14