Railroad Forums 

• SIRR container traffic to NJ to start this month....

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#371752  by rcbsd45

Announcement from Conrail, dated March 2. 2007:

"The Surface transportation Board(STB) in docket No. 34909 has issued a notice of exemption to CSX Transportation, Inc(CSXT) Norfolk Southern Railway Company(NSR), and Consolidated Railway Corportaion(Conrail) pursuant to the provisions of 49 USC 10502 to provide for the joint use and operation over 7.69 miles of abandoned rail line of the fromer Stanten Island Railway Corporation (SIRR) in New york and New Jersey lying generally between the Conrail Chemical coast line and points on Staten Island, NY.

Conrail will begin operations on the SIRR on or after March 26, 2007. the actual date that Conrail begins operations is dependent on the succesful operational testing of the Arthur Kill lift bridge.

No rearrangement of forces will be required as a result of this transaction, and it is not anticipated there will be any adverse affect on employees. However, any employee who should be adversely affected will be entitled to the employee protective conditions customarily prescribed in its decisions by the STB in transactions of this type"
 #380225  by navy7344

Its Great to see the Arthur Kill Lift Bridge ,after a 14 Million dollar Face lift, will be getting some use and that means a "Bridge Operator" and blinking red navigation lights at night!

#380264  by Sir Ray

Hmm, Well it's now "on or after March 26, 2007"...so how's it going? :P

#380295  by NYSW2300

April 2nd or Bust

#380400  by SecaucusJunction

How will this effect rail operations in the New York Area? Does this open new opportunities for intermodal traffic?

#380431  by blockline4180

SecaucusJunction wrote:How will this effect rail operations in the New York Area? Does this open new opportunities for intermodal traffic?
I'm sure in the future it might, but not in the short term! I was told the traffic will be added to existing CSX trains...

#380927  by CGRLCDR

I happened to be on Staten Island yesterday checking out the Tug Boat Graveyard on Arthur Kill. In the course of driving up and down about every side street leading to the Kill looking for the graveyard I crossed the upgraded tracks a few times, as well as the tracks leading up to the lift bridge. They are in great shape - it looks like they might be using 132 pound rail, but on top of wooden ties; I was expecting concrete. Except for a high-railer over by the power station I didn't see any signs of rail activity over there and all of the rails looked new, but were quite rusty.

From what I saw while driving around the lift bridge looked in great shape also, but I did not see anyone working on it or the tracks in that area.

#380977  by harryguy082589

Who is going to be runing the trains over this? Is it still M&E?

#380980  by blockline4180

harryguy082589 wrote:Who is going to be runing the trains over this? Is it still M&E?
NO! Guess again.

#380996  by blockline4180

It never was the M&E except perhaps in their imagination.

GME

Hahaha :P :-D

#381065  by CGRLCDR

I was a little confused over who would be operating this link as well. check out this link....

http://www.answers.com/topic/staten-island-railway

"Modern freight service
The freight line connection from New Jersey to the Staten Island Railway has been restored as of late 2006, and is operated by the Morristown and Erie Railway under contract with the State of New Jersey. The bridge on the Arthur Kill waterway has also been restored, and at least one freight train has made the crossing in 2006 from New Jersey to Staten Island. Plans are to reactivate the North Shore of the Staten Island Railway to allow freight shipments to and from the recently revamped Howland Hook Marine Terminal."

Was this mis-information or did someone change their mind?

#381488  by Irish Chieftain

Answers.com gets everything from Wikipedia. They are the uneditable mirror.

#381928  by gravelyfan

This morning I can hear a veteran engineer working on BY-8 (new symbol to me) talking about "going over the bridge" - possible trip to Staten Island??