Railroad Forums 

• US Navy Earle Railroad

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1195217  by ChrisU

RailsEast wrote:Funny you should mention the movement today....I caught them at Kings Hwy East in Middletown on my way home (just before you saw them), first in line at the traffic light. Great, I thought, so I grabbed my camera for a stealth shot, but the MP pulled up to the crossing, stopped and looked me right in the eyes (as if he knew I was a railfan)!
I just plain didn't have the balls to point and shoot, so off they went. For the record, SW1200s 65-00630 and 65-00631 (if I remember correctly).........

Signed,
Intimidated in Middletown
:-)
Sounds right about the SW1200s those are the only two they have.
 #1195268  by TAMR213

RailsEast wrote:Funny you should mention the movement today....I caught them at Kings Hwy East in Middletown on my way home (just before you saw them), first in line at the traffic light. Great, I thought, so I grabbed my camera for a stealth shot, but the MP pulled up to the crossing, stopped and looked me right in the eyes (as if he knew I was a railfan)!
I just plain didn't have the balls to point and shoot, so off they went. For the record, SW1200s 65-00630 and 65-00631 (if I remember correctly).........

Signed,
Great post, I would be intimidated too haha...

Not to be a stickler for details (especially since I have never seen the train in person), but coming from a Navy Family, wouldn't that "MP" actually have been a Master-at-Arms or a Shore Patrol? Or I guess perhaps some sort of DoD Police, or something of the sort...
 #1195401  by ChrisU

TAMR213 wrote:

Signed,
Great post, I would be intimidated too haha...

Not to be a stickler for details (especially since I have never seen the train in person), but coming from a Navy Family, wouldn't that "MP" actually have been a Master-at-Arms or a Shore Patrol? Or I guess perhaps some sort of DoD Police, or something of the sort...
Yep, Master-at-Arms.
 #1198993  by Earle Baldwin

glenn cannizzaro wrote:look for two new locomotives coming soon, between june and september
Since the prospect of new locomotives for Earle was mentioned, I thought this item regarding the introduction of units built to run on bio-diesel at NSA Crane in 2011 would be of interest:

http://www.navy.mil/submit/display.asp?story_id=58194" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Perhaps Earle's new units will be of a similar design.

Bob
 #1223364  by CNJGeep

Today's Q433 has a USN Genset. Earle's new toy, perhaps?
 #1229396  by PVRX1

65-00631 is also sub-numbered "6". That is their regular yard engine inside the main base.

The "road train" usually gets two units.
 #1233838  by CNJGeep

Genset on Today's SA31
 #1319918  by bigblue5277

Tues March 3rd, 4:30 pm Earle Navy train crossed Swimming River Rd. Middletown. I did not see the train nor could I tell which direction it was headed, but I heard the train loud and clear and saw that the north set of tracks were freshly cleared of snow.
 #1319919  by NJT4149

bigblue5277 wrote:Tues March 3rd, 4:30 pm Earle Navy train crossed Swimming River Rd. Middletown. I did not see the train nor could I tell which direction it was headed, but I heard the train loud and clear and saw that the north set of tracks were freshly cleared of snow.
I go over this crossing every morning on the bus and always hope to catch a train... By any chance, does anybody know an average time they can be seen heading up to Leonardo? I pass over the crossing a little before 7:30 AM if it helps... Thanks in advance