Railroad Forums 

• Star Ledger article on Intermodal trains

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1008077  by SecaucusJunction

How this got to be a Southern Tier discussion is beyond me. I've never mentioned it on this thread. I'm not speaking about railroad or railfan talk, but actual agreements.

And NJB just talked himself out of any free beer on 1/1/13.
 #1008086  by northjerseybuff

haha..kilroy turned this to the tier...and NS owns the tier. No beer? Because I will lose the bet?? I hope you're right buddy. M-Ville opened..February is 2 weeks away...still stagnant. I admire your optimism.
 #1008690  by SecaucusJunction

It is not really a tier conversation, although the tier would probably benefit from extra traffic in NJ. The real issue is with NS really wanting little to do with NJ and NJ ports. They would rather move what traffic they have to the Harrisburg area and let trucks pull it the rest of the way... or just let trucks handle 100% of the containers destination. They are doing better in southern ports, but are getting beaten up in NJ. There is little evidence that this will change even with PANYNJ doing all this work... and agreements in place with NS. If capacity is an issue, they had plenty of time to work with it... especially west of Bound Brook
 #1008867  by anti-hammie

NJ is the very end of the railroad, what do you expect all of a sudden 90,000 trains pop up out of nowhere?? If anything expect Mechanicsville and Ayer to get more coming out of New England, as is to run trucks down 84/87 from NE would be longer than transporting trucks. Yes the Tier will see more traffic but WEST of BD (for Chicago bound trains), and once Greencastle opens up I expect the north-south corridor to take off however since NJ is the edge of the earth what's here will end up staying and not really increasing much. In terms of manpower there are plenty of people to cover work so that should be treated as a non-issue.
 #1008884  by wolfboy8171981

northjerseybuff wrote:Is the Lehigh Line at capacity? Maybe Wolfboy can tell us since we are only guessing as fans. And if its not at capacity, what will tip it to do so? 5 more train?

A controlled siding or 2nd main track from CP-PRJ on the CSX side and a automation of the west end of the Royce running track and up grade to controlled siding status, would greatly improve things. Most of the delays now are when both the NS and CSX have eastbound traffic and cannot handle the westbound traffic. 33K doesnt work every day at Manville anymore, so when he does he often cuts off East of CP-BoundBrook clogging #2 track, bringing me back to the days before #1 track was rebuilt. We good scheduling we could handle some more trains, but then the Port has to be able to handle them too. Often times there are tracks of empty buckets in Dockside and they have to go somewhere before the loaded buckets can come in.
 #1008968  by SecaucusJunction

anti-hammie wrote:NJ is the very end of the railroad, what do you expect all of a sudden 90,000 trains pop up out of nowhere?? If anything expect Mechanicsville and Ayer to get more coming out of New England, as is to run trucks down 84/87 from NE would be longer than transporting trucks. Yes the Tier will see more traffic but WEST of BD (for Chicago bound trains), and once Greencastle opens up I expect the north-south corridor to take off however since NJ is the edge of the earth what's here will end up staying and not really increasing much. In terms of manpower there are plenty of people to cover work so that should be treated as a non-issue.
I would actually argue that New Jersey has some of of the most untapped potential around. Port traffic, domestic intermodal, and trash traffic could flood every line out of the state if used to the full potential. Unfortunately now, they are clogging the highways. Has anyone ever spent some time on Route 78 or the NJ Turnpike? You can see the massive amounts of traffic through the area. Yes, I know a good part is short haul, but I believe there is plenty that could be on the rails.
 #1038618  by SecaucusJunction

Expressrail container traffic from PANYNJ was up about 6.5% y-o-y in the Jan-Feb 2012 time period which amounts to probably about a 75-85 containers per day increase. Slowly but surely I guess. I'm guessing most of the increase is on CSX?
 #1038680  by wolfboy8171981

CSX is now running 4 outbound trains most nights. Q167 Tu-Sa, - Q163 M-W-F, - Q159 M-W-F, - L163 Tu-Thu-Sa, - L159 Tu-Th- Su, S159 Tu-Fr.
These trains usually carry blocks from NYCT-PNCT-EZMT
NS still has 25V and 23M pick up blocks from EZMT and NYCT. 25V is not usually large, but i can't comment on 23M. 25Z is usually large from E-rail, 25R not so much.
 #1038770  by SecaucusJunction

It's kind of sad to see how badly NS is getting beaten in this area. Competition only really works well when both parties put up a fight. 23M, though, is generally larger than 25V and has traffic destined for probably at least 8 different cities. I'd love to see what the market share is between the railroads. Hopefully NS can make some headway with their various inland port cities this year.
 #1068654  by SecaucusJunction

New article sent by the AAR. More baby steps... Now if only they could ever get the service to Buffalo and Mechanicville going...

http://www.joc.com/portsterminals/ny-nj ... 10-percent
 #1085693  by SecaucusJunction

Updating Expressrail numbers... They are now averaging 10.2% increase year over year. From quickly looking at the numbers, it looks like maybe an average of an extra 5,000 TEUs per month from this point last year. July, the latest numbers shown, have a 12.1% increase. It looks like 23M and 25V have been increasing in size a bit but I can't speak for the CSX side.