Railroad Forums 

• PRR Line from Sea Girt West

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#949157  by GSC

Anyone notice the "plank road" built next to the ROW from Adelphia Road in Farmingdale, heading toward Freehold?
 #954547  by GSC

Good news, I found the pics of the Sea Girt tower just before it went down. Sept 1971, I think. Give me a bit to scan them and I'll post 'em.
 #955136  by GSC

The south-west (Trenton) end of Doodlebug 4666 (which this shot shows) had a horn that "gurgled" like it had water in it. The horn on the other end didn't gurgle. I lived right next to the NY&LB in Neptune City at the time, and heard it go by every weekday, around 6:30 am for the run to Trenton, and about 5:00 pm for the trip back to Red Bank. I always liked the area of Sea Girt Jct., with all the tracks, signal bridge, etc.

Great shot. Have to borrow my daughter's scanner for the tower shots. I'm getting there.
 #955426  by TSTOM

Enjoying this thread....

Probably a long shot but does anyone have pics or a link to same of the one-time classic CNJ signal bridge that stood immediately North ( RR East ) of Sea Girt Ave. near old Sea Girt station ? I know this bridge stood until sometime in the early/mid-60's and accommodated 4 tracks....2 sidings plus the 2 mains....with duel targets for each governing Southbound ( RR West ) into the crossovers/junction with the Pennsy line. Up until last Summer, the concrete footings for it were still in place and maybe remain still today.

BTW, anyone ever see a steamer or diesel unit working on these sidings or recall the track layout/switch locations around this location ?

Obviously, the above was most intrigueing to a then youngster falling in love with trains.

Thanks.
 #955702  by TSTOM

TOM -

Indeed a rare shot ! Judging by the lone auto at the station AND that the steamer appears to be a Pennsy K, my guess is between 1951 and 1955....a little before I reached the age of awareness.

I stand correcting myself on the target configuration on the signal bridge. This is the first photo I've seen showing a freight car actually occupying one of the sidings as well as the freight house still standing.

Got any more gems TOM ?
 #955773  by GSC

Great video!

Looking south (west) toward the signal bridge, track layout was (l to r) Track 2 eastbound (northbound), Track 1 westbound (southbound), siding 1 (?) and siding 2. The middle two tracks (westbound 1 and siding 1) switched off to the right to Manasquan, siding 2 merged into siding 1 at the turn. A crossover connected Track 1 to Track 2.

Wish I could draw it here.

There was no wye, just two tracks turning off to Manasquan, and two tracks proceeding toward Bay Head.

Looking west/south at the bridge, the CNJ-style signals were (l to r) one bottom target, three vertical targets, one bottom target, one bottom target.

There's a good track layout pic in Don Wood's "Unique New York & Long Branch" book, of the Doodlebug and an RPO entering the NY&LB at Sea Girt.
 #955816  by CNJSouDivFan

That is what I am talking about! WOW, great video Tom. Noticed a New Haven baggage car right behind the K-4. Also, the very end of your video goes to a shot that appears to be inside SG tower. Is that right?
 #955827  by TOMSTV

The tape goes on to show the train heading north through Avon,nothing about the Sea Girt jct.tower