Railroad Forums 

• PRR Line from Sea Girt West

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#348227  by 35dtmrs92

I heard that there once was a Pennsy line to Sea Girt from the west. Where exactly did it run? What would it take to restore this line to operating condition?

#348262  by TOMSTV

Yes there was.It was ripped up back in 1964,the last train to run on the line was the Pennsy 4666,single rail car,in 1962.ImageIf you do a search on this subject,go to page 6 in this fourm,look for..
"PRR LINE TO SEA GIRT"
MARCH 10 2006. I posted some pictures of the line there. The line is still there from Farmingdale west.The old line is now a bike trail.
Last edited by TOMSTV on Thu Nov 05, 2009 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#348264  by CTL10D

Hi-

There was indeed a PRR line that connected the NY&LB to Freehold, from Sea Girt to Freehold. The line went through Allaire, Farmingdale, and into Freehold. Theres practically no chance of ever restoring this line. The tracks are long gone, a bridge would need to be built over the Parkway, Spring Meadow Golf course is now right smack on the old right of way in Wall, and most of the line has now been turned into a paved bike path from Manasquan to Allaire State Park. The path actually parrallels the tracks of the Pine Creek Railroad in Allaire State Park for a bit too. Take care -Chris

#348502  by CJPat

I think it was stated in the previous thread that there is a building that sits directly on the ROW at the point it came off the NY&LB. Since they tore out the RT 71 bridge over the tracks and replaced it with a level road coupled with the buildings that have been constructed, I think the first 1/4-1/2 mile of ROW is permanently gone.

The bike path from Manasquan to Allaire State park is a nice path for walking/biking.

Here's a question. By examining Google Earth and looking at Farmingdale, you can see how the ROW crossed Cnty Rt 547 (Squankum Rd) and went right through the industrial plant's property (name?) just before the diamond crossing with the CNJ Southern Div line and on to Freehold.

But further south on Squankum Rd, there looks like there had been a second grade crossing in the vicinity of the landscaping business (I think it used to be called Daisy Hill before it was sold 1-2 yrs ago). If a track ran through there, what was it for? the ROW doesn't look like it reached the CNJ tracks. Was it a siding? If so, what was it for? Or was it part of a connection to the southbound CNJ Southern Div? You can see how the PRR line connected from their west side to the southbound.

#348509  by CTL10D

CJPat-

Aha, a mystery my friends and I have been trying to decipher for sometime now. For the longest time, I had always thought that the path by the landscaping business actually was the ROW, until my friend showed me where it actually really was (by the industrial park you mentioned, which I`ve been told at one time was called "Frequency Engineering", and did military work in there. Dont know what it is now though.) I tried to find info on it once, but came up with nothing. I think it may be just an extension of the horse trails that go through the Allaire area, or maybe an access road of some type. The gate across the front of it is the same ones that are used in Allaire, so maybe it does have something to do with the park service. Anybody else have any info? The path we`re talking about is right on the first sharp curve headed south from the actual ROW on 524/547 between Farmingdale and 195. Take care -Chris

#348545  by ApproachMedium

Does anyone know if the PRR diamond is still there on the southern sec where the PRR crossed the CNJ there? I know its probably not still a part of the tracks but may have been removed and tossed to the side. If anyone has any info on this and possably how the whole intersection was setup Id like to know. Thanks!

#348560  by CTL10D

Ant-

Ive done alot of exploring around the area, and I dont think the diamond was saved, at least not anywhere nearby. You can still see the PRR Main line in the woods though across the street (on the Freehold side) leading up to what was the diamond crossing. The tracks are actually still there. On the other side, (headed towards Sea Girt) it looks to be a private propery now, but this is where the PRR/CNJ station was, on the North side of the PRR main (east side of CNJ) If youre not sure where this all is, if you turn off of 524/547 onto railroad ave, you`ll cross over the switch off to the Freehold Secondary, and its maybe 1/4 past that. Like I said, you can see the old PRR Main in the woods, its right before the big JCP&L substation there.Hope this helps. Take care -Chris

#348581  by ApproachMedium

Thanks Chris! Being a native of howell township for 20 years of my life I do know the area pretty well, however my parents were never about to let me go out railroad exploring when I was a kid. Now that I'm 21 and can actually enjoy the railfanning hobby I am out to discover all the things I wanted to see since I was a child.

#349178  by PRRTechFan

The Sea Girt branch of the PRR used to run from Monmouth Junction on the NEC to the NJCL at Sea Girt. The tracks used to run just about 150' behind my house in Manasquan. Unfortunately, I didn't move into this house until just after the rails were pulled up. The Route 71 bridge over the ROW was here when I moved in, but was torn down soon after. A gas station and a storage garage facility were built between Rt. 71 and the NJCL about where the Sea Girt branch tracks once were. There is still a small brick substation building that provides signal power behind the storage garage; it is the only remaining remnant of the "SG" tower that once controlled the junction.

Restoring this route would not be impossible, but it would be very, very difficult; and the stretch from North Main Street in Manasquan to the NJCL would be the most difficult. There are condos being constructed right now in one of the parking lots that was created after the rails were removed. A number of houses were constructed adjacent to the ROW and their backyards run right up to where the tracks were located. The same thing has occured in Wall Township along the bicycle path that was built on the ROW. So, not impossible; but difficult, expensive and sure to provoke a public outcry!

FWIW, there was discussion in the late 60's of turning the NJCL down the Sea Girt branch as far as Route 35; the rails south of Manasquan to Bay Head, the Bay Head yard and the Manasquan River bridge would be abandoned and the railroad terminated in Wall Township at a new terminal/park and ride facility just west of Route 35. This plan never occured and the rails between Farmingdale and Manasquan were eventually ripped up.

The ROW remains intact, I believe; the rest of the way to Farmingdale. The Route 35 and Route 34 bridges over the ROW are intact, and the ROW doesn't seem to carve up much of the Spring Meadow Golf Course; wasn't the golf course originally built around the railroad? There may be a problem west of Atlantic Avenue by Allaire State Park; I believe that several large (24"-36"?) sewer and water lines were buried down the right of way towards Squankum Road. I don't know that putting tracks above buried water and sewer utility lines is such a great idea.

The ROW did cross Squankum Road and passed the Frequency Engineering Labs property. They were a government defense contractor and had materials shipped in by rail to a siding. When the rails were pulled up from Sea Girt to just west of Squankum Road, the Freehold branch was then left intact as far as Frequency Engineering. When FEL went under years later, the rails were pulled up from there back to the CNJ branch; the diamond was removed, the switch on the PRR that allowed a diverging north move off the branch to a switch on the CNJ branch was removed and replaced by a permanent curve north to the CNJ switch.

What looks to be a former ROW nearby I believe is a utility extension for some of the underground water and sewer lines that eventually use part of the rail ROW.

An 1873 map of Manasquan shows the branch as the "Freehold & Farmingdale RR" coming east through town and then curving to the north and following what is today the NJCL north through Sea Girt and Avon. There were no tracks south through Manasquan to Bay Head and no "junction" at that time; the Freehold branch just curved and headed north. Io not have access to maps that would prove or disprove this, but I recall hearing that the rails from Freehold reached Manasquan before the rails from the north.

An 1879 map shows the same track arrangement, but the tracks north from Sea Girt are labeled "N.J. Central RR". In 1889, this track had been extended straight south from Sea Girt through Manasquan, Brielle and across the Manasquan River to Point Pleasant Beach and Bay Head and the Freehold Branch connection became a junction. The north-south route was double-tracked and labeled "New York and Long Branch RR" then. The junction where the Freehold branch now diverged off of the NY&LB was controlled by "SG" tower, which was eliminated when the branch rails were removed. As a kid, I was fortunate to have visited the tower one Saturday afternoon when it was still in operation.

#349196  by CTL10D

PRRTEechFan-

Wow, thanks for all the info. I kinda knew the general facts but you sure nailed the details. Very interesting.
As far as restoring the line, all your points are true. The section of ROW that parallels the Pine Creek indeed has a water main. There was a bad main break there a few years ago and washed out a nice section of our tracks (I volunteer at Pine Creek). As I work for NJ American Water full time, indeed, it would not be fun to fix a main break underneath railroad tracks. Dealing with all the other underground utilities is a headache in itself, no need to throw choo choo tracks in the mix. :wink: As far as the Spring Meadow goes, I believe the original construction of the course left the ROW intact, but now its been completely regraded and you can hardly even tell where the roadbed was. And as far as the other path on 524/547, I figured it was something of the nature, just not sure.
Again, thanks for all the info. Take care -Chris
 #937605  by nycboy

I spent a lot of time in Spring Lake in the 50's and 60's and did a lot of exploring on my bicycle. Sea Girt was a PRR station and I think the trains ran from Trenton to either Long Branch or Red Bank. My parents sold the house in 1974 but I can remember being able to see the remains of the ROW and RR utility/signal communication poles as the alignment crossed Hwy 71. Also, wasn't there a bridge over Rte 35 that carried the ROW? The commute from Spring Lake was a nightmare; used to take the 12:03pm from SL to NY and arrived back in SL at 2:28 am. The bus sevice also sucked. Finally drove to Metropark and was able to find parking(barely) for 2pm train. Last time I passed MP on Amtrak, I couldn't believe how the area had grown---and all the parking garages!
 #945388  by CNJSouDivFan

Awesome information guys. Does anyone remember when SG tower was razed? Did it sit dormant for a time? When did the signal bridge and freight house come out of Sea Girt? Finally, and hopefully, did the town save the "SG" sign or even single lever from the tower for their museum in the Sea Girt Lighthouse (I have never been)?
 #947228  by GSC

A friend an I went to see the Sea Girt tower just before it came down. It was in 1972, I believe. I'll have to find the old pics I took of it. There was the tower, and an outhouse right next to it (yes, an outhouse). There was a steel vertical sign that was cut off and laying on the ground, that said "Trenton Division" on it, along with a PRR-style whistle post with it. (Both too heavy to lift, or we might have made off with them). I'm not sure when the signal bridge came down, it was prior to the late 60s.

When opened to Manasquan, the Farmingdale & Squan Village RR (the portion of the Freehold & Jamesburg that reached Manasquan), it curved northward from the PRR Manasquan station to the location of the Sea Girt station. The lines that became the NY & Long Branch built south to connect with the PRR at Sea Girt. Old maps show an engine house at the end of trackage, where the Sea Girt station is now.
 #948116  by CNJSouDivFan

GSC-

Any pics of the tower or junction itself would be greatly appreciated. I grew up in Wall Township however I live in Cali now. I have become very interested in the NY&LB, CNJ Southern Division, and Jamesburg lines. Thanks again my friend!
 #949156  by GSC

CNJSouDivFan wrote:GSC-

Any pics of the tower or junction itself would be greatly appreciated. I grew up in Wall Township however I live in Cali now. I have become very interested in the NY&LB, CNJ Southern Division, and Jamesburg lines. Thanks again my friend!
Just had a yard sale, maybe I'll be able to find them since we entered the scary realm of the "storage room" in the cellar. Still looking.