Railroad Forums 

• Interstate 280 construction railroad

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1129050  by theShrubber

In one of my internet searches for I-280 construction info, I came across the site

http://www.godfatherrails.com

Near the top is a link, "Photos". Within that, there is a link for "Rail Construction Zones"; and further down the page is a link for "Photos by Location ==> All 247 Locations". And then within that are two links for "West Orange".

In all three of these final places (Construction, plus the two West Oranges) are a bunch of photos of the I-280 construction railroad. And although they say West Orange, some of these are out in Livinston and surrounding areas. Looking at these photos, I can almost feel myself traveling back to that place and time, before all the noise and hustle and bustle of traffic and people.

I had always wondered how a train could make it up those steep grades in West Orange, and from these photos you can see there were a limited number of cars to deal with.
 #1129099  by R36 Combine Coach

Very, very interesting topic!

This is the Eisenhower Parkway bridge, facing west (in the distance the upgrade (hill) is the Passaic River bridge between the Essex and Morris line). Here is the curve east of Eisenhower Parkway (exit 4A/B). The rail line is on the future westbound lanes. The bridges over Passaic Avenue can be seen, completed. Same location, lower angle. The proper location for these images should be Roseland.

Train passing under Eisenhower Parkway
West of Eisenhower, Passaic River ahead
On bridge over Passaic Avenue
Laurel Avenue (exit 6)
At Laurel Avenue
Laurel Avenue
Facing west from Laurel Avenue

While the photos of construction in the Roseland area were apparently shot in 1970, the build date on the Eisenhower Parkway bridge is interestingly marked 1968, as are the three twin spans over Eagle Rock Avenue, the M&E Railway and Passaic Avenue. The Passaic River bridge also has a 1968 build date engraved (however the Whippany River bridge and New Road overpass in Parsippany are dated 1970).
 #1129136  by ApproachMedium

If you would have done a search on here there actually was discussion on this very topic quite a few years back on this forum. They discuss the locations at which cars were exchanged with the main line at one end of the railroad and a few other photos not seen on the godfather rails site.
 #1129614  by theShrubber

ApproachMedium wrote:If you would have done a search on here there actually was discussion on this very topic quite a few years back on this forum. They discuss the locations at which cars were exchanged with the main line at one end of the railroad and a few other photos not seen on the godfather rails site.
I was never able to find that old railroad.net post. I think it went bye bye in one of the board revisions/updates. But I was able to find a couple of links to a photo and some history that I remembered from the old post. See my original post on page 1 of this thread.
 #1137554  by michaelk

theShrubber wrote:
Steve F45 wrote:where was all this rock and dirt eventually dumped?
Into the swamp at the west end of I-280, to build up the road bed. See Al Holleuffer's post from 2007 on page 1 of this thread, as well as http://www.nycroads.com/roads/I-280_NJ/
from the link:
after determining that the gravel on the completed section of roadbed was too hard on oversized truck tires (not to mention the grades that the trucks had to negotiate), engineers decided to construct a temporary railroad
looking at the various pictures I'm amazed a loaded train could make those grades. Did they just start cruising and hoped they never had to stop?