Railroad Forums 

• Interstate 280 construction railroad

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#348063  by theShrubber

An old railroad.net post (which I cannot find; maybe from a previous incarnation of railroad.net) lead to the following sites, regarding a temporary railroad built along route I-280 during construction:

http://www.nycroads.com/roads/I-280_NJ/

and a photo at http://www.railpace.com/photogallery/old-1097.htm

I lived in West Orange during construction, but was pretty little. I have foggy memories of going with older siblings and neighbor kids across the construction zone and train tracks to get to the Essex Green shopping center on the other side; putting coins on the tracks and hiding as the trains went by, and someone in the group being amused when they spent the flattend coins in the Woolworth store, and the cashier didn't bat an eye at the coins. And I remember hearing train whistles from my house.

So here is what I wonder:

The first link indicates the railroad was constructed after the rock cut was done through First Mountain, and used to haul the rock to the western part of the highway (toward Parsippany).

Where was all the rock kept before the trains hauled it away? That's a pretty big rock cut.

How far east did the train go? Did it go all the way down the First Mountain hill toward Orange?

Which came first, the rock cut through Second Mountain, or the train? Or was the train bed re-layed as the rock cutting went deeper and deeper?

The grade along that highway is something like 6% Was the construction train able to negotiate that, or was the grade somehow kept smaller for the train? 6% seems pretty steep for a train.

The old posting on this mentioned where the tracks tied in to the rest of the railroad world. Anyone remember where that tie-in was?

(In fourth grade, after paving and before the road opened to traffic, my father and I took a bicycle ride down one of the highway hills. My front wheel went wobbly/unstable, I wiped out, and got banged up enough to miss a week and a half of school.)

Thanks for any info anyone can add.

- Roger

#348090  by KFC Jones

Thanks for the great link; I remember seeing that on the old RR.net! The photographer of the 280 train posts here sometimes; maybe he'll be able to answer your questions.

I explored the highway site... got a kick out of the Morristown residents protesting 287 being built through Washington's HQ by dressing up in Revolutionary War outfits!

#348133  by Jtgshu

yea, those various highway and sign websites are cool - I love seeing what could have been, what was, and what won't ever be.

I never knew the "Tribrough Road" overpass on the Route 24 expressway was a road to nowhere!!! Seems like a good place to go and explore on my quad!! :-)

#348179  by mikedc3

Jtgshu wrote:
I never knew the "Tribrough Road" overpass on the Route 24 expressway was a road to nowhere!!! Seems like a good place to go and explore on my quad!! :-)
There is plenty of quad\dirt bike\4X4ing going on there. The trails come out by the Livingston Mall. You can access the riding area right off of 24 West. Check Google Earth or Google Maps, You'll see what I mean.

The 280 construction RR connected to the Morristown and Erie. I read once that 1 of the 280 bridges still had extra beams in it to support the weight of the trains. I believe they used a U33C and an RS3.

#348188  by Al Holleuffer

The company that operated the construction railroad was S. J. Groves & Sons, Inc., one of the largest construction firms in the world at the time. The Morristown & Erie Railraod Company, Inc. predecessor to today's M&E Railway, Inc., was the only outside connection via a ramp track just east of the Polaner Jelly plant in Roseland. In order that the line be exempt from Interstate Commerce Commision control and inspections the rails had to be kept disconnected except for delivery and removal of equipment. The railroad was an afterthought as work to dig the cut in West Orange was started using trucks to haul the rock to Parsippany to fill the swamp where the road joins I-80. This soon proved to be expensive and a computer was used to compare using trucks, the train and a conveyor belt system. The belt worked out cheaper but it had the drawback that if one segment failed the whole thing had to shut down whereas if one train concked out they could still continue to haul material at a reduced rate. The single track enginehouse/shop and passing siding was located where Laurel Avenue crosses I-280 today. Power was intitially two new GE U33C's which later were rebuilt an sold to the Burlington Northern. Both were scrapped at Naporano Iron & Metals some years ago. A fleet of recondioned Difco sidedump cars was used to haul the rock. Later an ex-Minneapolis Transfer RR Alco RS2 upgraded to 1600 HP RS3 rating was bought along with about a dozen smaller sidedump car from Eagle Pischer Lumber's railroad allowing three trains to operate at a time. The RS2 later was sold to Eastman Kodac in Rochester, NY and has been donated to one of the local NRHS chapters. All trains ran pushpull-style with nobody riding the lead car going east!!! The two laoding tracks in West Orange were continually extended east toward the bottom of today's highway grade as the cut progressed. I was fortunate to get a cabride and free access to the property to photograph courtesy of the Project Engineer Henry "Hap" Worthen.

Al Holleuffer

#351895  by theShrubber

Thanks all for the interesting info.

I've also asked a couple of siblings, parents, and neighbors, but none remembers very much. My sister added that she remembers climbing down embedded ladders into the concrete storm drain boxes, but did not venture into any pipes.
I read once that 1 of the 280 bridges still had extra beams in it to support the weight of the trains.
Another vague recollection (not sure it is real) is that for a while, only one bridge crossed Pleasant Valley Way, carrying the train tracks. Wonder if one of these bridges today has extra supports?

- Roger

#351981  by RussNelson

What's a ramp track? The only references I can find on Google are to Brio tracks, and to a sloped side track.

#352015  by Al Holleuffer

I used the term "ramp track" only to describe how it looked. It's not a techical term. It was a steeply-graded extremely tight radius curve up from the M&E's track to the hyway roadbed. it was a little too tight at first. After shoving the first U33C up and coming back down the M&E engine, Alco S4 No. 14, derailed due to wide gauge caused by the GE's six-wheel trucks. The connector was regraded and the degree of curvature increased for later movements. After placing the U-boats in the enginehouse at laurel Ave. the M&E crew then retieved the dumpcars and went all the way to the cut in West Orange to spot them for loading. This marked the only time the M&E loco operated on the Groves track.

#352469  by CRHauf

Al,

Just an FYI. The ex-Eastman Kodak Company RS-2(RS-3) you speak of is now at the Illinois Railway Museum. That unit was not donated to the Rochester Chapter NRHS, although I have always wished it was. I am not sure how many steps it took before going from Kodak to IRM. I should note, however, the Rochester Chapter did later receive as a donation from Kodak, Kodak Park Railroad #9, an ALCO RS-1. We also roster Kodak Park Railroad #6, a GE 80-tonner.

Here is a link the what I believe is the MC RS-2(3) at IRM:

http://www.irm.org/cgi-bin/rsearch.cgi? ... ansfer=200

Here is a link to the RS-1 at the Rochester Chapter's Rochester & Genesee Valley Railroad Museum.

http://www.rgvrrm.org/about/railroad/ek9/index.htm

Until later,
Chris Hauf
Manager, Railroad Equipment
R&GVRRM

#352640  by David Hutchinson

I have a slide that I acquired of an SJ Groves RS3 working on the project. The unit is black with safety stripes.... might have been an ex-D&H. The U boats (I think they were U30Cs, maybe with the U28 carbody) were stored at Port Reading until they were sold to the BN. They were grey with yellow stripes and had the SJ Groves name on it... maybe with Construction Company, also. I would have to look at my slides. The engines had a cartoon character under the cab window stating "Road Builder" or something like that. It was a plaque that was applied. I took some pictures after talking to the Yardmaster.... Reading's XM-6 came in from Bridgeport, Pa., and pullled the units west with the regular train......

#353065  by rcbsd45

I also grew up in the area of the operations. I lived off of Laurel Avenue, near Eagle Rock Ave, and was about 10 - 11 years old during the construction. My friends and I used to ride down Laurel Ave, and hang out near the engine house(now where the on ramp from Laurel Ave South to 280 West is located) and just take it all in. I thought it was the neatest thing to have a rail operation that close to my house, although at the time the M&E was still running to interchange with the E-L in Essex Fells, and the steam trains of the MCC were still around(and getting rerady to move to Newfoundland). I distincly remember one of the guys inviting myself and one of my friends over, and taking us up the cab of one of the U Boats(at that age, all I knew was that it was a HUGE engine) to look around for a few, something I never forgot. I only wish I had been smart enough to take pictures. Now, can any one help me here... I tseem to recall the RS-3 that was added a bit into the operations as having shown up on the property in different collers than the SJ Groves yellow and gray. I THINK it was like brown or black with orange lettering, but not sure..... This operation has always fascinated me, brings back some great memories of my youth(this and my meories of the M&E and the E-L Caldwell branch, but thats another topic!) and for one, I am very happy to see a forum topic about it.....

#353732  by David Hutchinson

I think it was SJ Groves & Sons on the body of the engine and "Road Builder" on the cartoon under the cab window.......the BN sale was reported a long time ago in 2200 South and had the BN numbers listed.

#359112  by Otto Vondrak

Would anybody be interested in writing a short story about the Construction Railroad for this web site? Please contact me off list.

-otto-

#359158  by Tri-State Tom

Otto -

Al Holleuffer would be a good choice....if he has time.

#359663  by Al Holleuffer

I'd be glad to help out with this project but as Tri-State Tom said, time is my enemy here. People have probably noticed that I rarely post replies these days. I'm lucky if I have time to take a quick peek at some of the forums most days. I leave the house at 5:10 a.m for my assignment in Hoboken on NJ Transit and don't get home until after 6:00 p.m. so there aren't many free hours in my day.

I actually did write a short story about Groves operation many years ago for an NRHS Chapter I belong to. Last summer I finally organized many of my slides and the S.J. Groves ones were among the group I sorted out. I also have black & white prints I shot for the article.

Otto, contact me off list and I'll see what I can do. Right now things aren't to overly hectic on the homefront.