Railroad Forums 

• New Brunswick LRT?

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1780  by prt1607j

hey gerald long time no see.. any way.. face it... I highly doubt that this will ever materialize.. our wonderful govt here in jersey really loves to put good things in.. heck thier not even lining their pockets...... oh boy these next yrs are gonna be intesting

and yes i would like to see the rail line

but

mcgreevey aint gonna have it...

#1891  by nick11a

But waiting for the G or GG can take forever sometimes unfortunately.

#1932  by TAMR213

Yea, it can, but the GG, L and LX are the three buses that run on cedar lane, and yes there deffinatly would be enough traffic to keep these lines on route over cedar lane. Maybe, these lines could be rerouted to be from a station on livingston, over to a station by the NB station, pretty much materializeing Geralds plan? Also, maybe they would be more on time since there would be less traffic and also a more direct, shorter route. This also saves the $$$ of having to build another bridge over the raritan. Also, at one time, I was thinking about haveing a bridge over the raritan right into johnson park while looking down my street one day, and it seemed like it could work, but then i came to the conclusion, there would probably be to much oppostion, as well as causeing disruptyion in the park. ANyway, the HP mayor and her whole yuppie council probably wouldnt want an LRT through town anyway in tiher efforts ot make dowtown seem "nicer".
 #1982  by korbermeister

TAMR213,
a light rail line going thru downtown HP would be a traffic nightmare. Although I agree that it would be prudent to keep the g/gg route. of course if they built the lrt the 'right' way ,there would be no need for those routes.

#2127  by prt1607j

YA KNOW.. CR HAS THE OLD RRRR MIAN AND PERHAPS THE NJT COULD RUN TRAINS ON THAT LINE THUS PROVIDING SERVICE TO NB, EAST BRUNSWICK, MILLTOWN, SOUTH RIVER AND SAYERVILLE..(IDEA WAS PUT OUT THER BY NJT FEW YRS BACK)

FURTHER MORE....

THE ONLY WAY TO HAVE LUGHT RAIL THROUGHT TO HP, AND EDIDON WOULD BE TO ADD ON TO THE NEC.. THERES NO ENOUGH ROOM AND FORGET STREET RUNNING, TRAFFIC IS BAD ENOUGH..

EITHER WAY IT IS A GOOD, FEASABLE IDEA WITH LOTS OF CHANGES MADE.. IT WOULD BE A LONG RPOJECT..

#2145  by transit383

I don't believe NJT ever proposed running trains over the RRRR (other than the New Brunswick Light Rail into a new Harts Lane Park and Ride). I tossed the idea around here though. My plan called for reactivation of the Amboy Secondary as a passenger route, with full electrification, as well as a connection to the New Brunswick LRT. For those unaware, the Amboy Secondary line was electrified by the PRR, when Conrail ended their electric operations, they removed the wire on this line, but left the catenary poles in place for possible future use by NJ Transit. Interestingly, when one of these poles is damaged or removed for reasons unknown, it is mandated that they be replaced. A key example was the re-installation of four poles in East Brunswick when the Route 18 bridge over the South River was built a few years back.

With the Amboy Secondary back in passenger service, the New Brunswick Light Rail would follow the route of the Sayreville Running Track (RRRR Mainline) to Sayreville. At Sayreville, the light rail would follow the Gillespie Branch to the Bordentown-Amboy Turnpike where a large park and ride and transfer station would be built at the intersection of Jernee Mill Road and the B-A Turnpike. Additional stops for the Amboy Secondary heavy rail trains would include Spotswood, Monroe, and Jamesburg.

#2217  by TAMR213

John,

I don't think that having the LRT run along the NEC would happen eiather. First off, the onmly area through HP which it would possibly run, is the Cefdar Lane area, and there is enough room there. But NJT would probably rather have it going from Livingston, to Busch, through College Ave. and over to Cook/Dougless. And then just have the G/GG extended to a point in NB (maybe by the train station?) and up to the stop at Livingston, therefore createing a loop, completeing an idea of one of the posters. This would also save money so you dont have to build more track, or another bridge, IMO, this is the best idea, but then again, it is my idea, so of course I think its the best. Again, all of this is just speculation. Good to see such intrest in an LRT in this area.

#2344  by transit383

Its a real shame that the Raritan River Viaduct wasn't built to hold more than four tracks. There are so many other ROWs in New Jersey that have only one or two tracks but were built to hold many more and here, where having that extra space would be a huge plus, its just not there. One would think that during the heyday of New Brunswick and all the trackside industries that existed, that the PRR would have built to accomodate. There are so many remains of these industries in New Brunswick too...massive extensions of the elevated structure, old ROWs that branch off and just end.....