Railroad Forums 

• NX Draw - Newark, NJ

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#782096  by gravelyfan

Dock bridge opened this morning (around 10:15) for vessel movement.

Two tugs and a barge carrying a large crawler crane and a J. Supor & Son many-axle trailer carrying a very large cylindrical item (a boiler, perhaps?) up the Passaic this morning.

After passing through Dock (even the higher PATH span was raised to permit movement) they nosed the barge into the Harrison side of the river opposite the FBI building, which is just short of the location of the original H&M/PRR bridge. J. Supor equi;pment is on site in the paved lot there in Harrison constructing a ramp to allow the trailer to be driven off the barge.

The tugs were the "Robert IV" and the smaller "Rae", the same ones that came up with a similar move a few months ago. The earlier unloading took place further upriver in Kearny.
 #792055  by transit383

A recent shot of the east side of the Newark Branch, taken from an overpass in Kearny, with a view of NX:

Abandoned East Side
 #806133  by gravelyfan

Dock opened around 9:25 this morning to allow passage of a Weeks Marine barge pushed by the Robert IV and accompanied by one other tug (not the Rae this time). Barge had a crawler crane on it and is mooring in Harrison (across river from FBI building). A number of J. Supor & Sons trucks are visible there, including a multi-axle trailer with a large white load on it; presumably this will be loaded onto the barge.
 #806225  by kilroy

Still sitting there as of 2 PM.
 #815836  by gravelyfan

Another Dock opening this morning. Robert IV pushing the Weeks 534 Crane barge - this one a "built in" pedestal mounted crane. Spent most of the afternoon tied up on the Harrison side of the river just up from Dock, in what has become the usual spot for the Supor activity. Mid afternoon a large object was transferred by crane from a J. Supor truck onto the barge. As of 4 pm the tug & barge were still sitting there, so I presume they wont leave until after the rush hour.
 #816532  by OportRailfan

How do you keep up with all the DOCK openings Gravely?
 #822566  by gravelyfan

Looking out my office window this morning, I see the crew from J. Supor and son loading two large items on multi-axle trailers onto a barge in harrison. Presumably the barge and tugs came up overnight at high tide. I presume they will depart with the mid day high tide, resulting in a Dock opening (as well as other bridges down the river). Will update this post if I see them depart.
 #822619  by OportRailfan

I've been listening to DOCK all morning, and I just watched him open up.
 #822856  by gravelyfan

Overheard radio conversations suggest that they will be back with another barge very early Friday morning. Tugs were the Robert IV and Rae.
 #822930  by OportRailfan

gravelyfan wrote:Overheard radio conversations suggest that they will be back with another barge very early Friday morning. Tugs were the Robert IV and Rae.
....and that they were having a hard time getting the PATH span locked. :wink:
 #823458  by OportRailfan

kamerad47 wrote:Any tug or barge today????
I just got in and am starting to listen to Dock/Section B.

When they opened up on Wednesday, I'd say it was around 10:30/11, and service was limited so the interruption didn't really effect much from what I heard.

I'll post if/when they open up again.
 #823514  by OportRailfan

Expect an opening soon, J. Supor & Sons is loading up a barge with similar contents as the one on Wednesday, and it looks like they're almost ready to go.
 #823623  by OportRailfan

and we're locking up 3 track bridge now as I type this.