Railroad Forums 

• NX Draw - Newark, NJ

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#752652  by southern sec. kid

davebdawg wrote:What I really don't understand why is it with the railroads is the fact that they leave unused items just to rot, cases in point, the Mcmyler Coal Dumper in Port Reading, which has'nt been used in 25 years, old telegraph poles along the ROW which have'nt been used in decades, (Which BTW is OK with me as I am an Insulator collector) The NX Draw, ect. ect.
Makes no difference to me but would'nt the railroads make money scrapping these items, and don't they have to pay property taxxes on these items whether they are being used or not? Heck, is'nt that why they ripped up the second track between Potter and Bound Brook way back when because of lack of use and to pay the taxxes for the second track? :-D
It also isn't worth the laabor
 #752937  by many19

southern sec. kid wrote:
davebdawg wrote: Makes no difference to me but would'nt the railroads make money scrapping these items, and don't they have to pay property taxxes on these items whether they are being used or not? Heck, is'nt that why they ripped up the second track between Potter and Bound Brook way back when because of lack of use and to pay the taxxes for the second track? :-D
It also isn't worth the laabor
Just a simple example.....

I don't know about you but if I'm the railroad and I have to pay for example $10 to one employee to remove a pole and I only get 10 cents for scrapping it. I'm going to leave it there.

On the other note Taxes. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but the railroad does not pay taxes on Out of Service Tracks. Specially if they ripped most of the track out. If they did I think they'll be bankrupt already with all the Right Aways around Jersey.

Just a comment.

Thank you.
 #753494  by JimBoylan

This may not be current.

Back in 1984, instead of direct local taxes, the State of New Jersey taxed the railroads at 3 rates from lowest to highest and distributed the revenue to the localities:
Main Line tracks and land under them
Other tracks and land under them
All other real estate.

For some reason, The Shore Fast Line tore up part of the old Atlantic City Railroad West of Franklin St. in Pleasantville. The tax assessor noticed and sent a bill on that part of the property at the very high rate of all other real estate, instead of the former medium rate of other track. Jimmy McHugh immediately ordered a track to be relaid there, but the assessor had already issued his bill for that year, which he wouldn't change.
 #755498  by gravelyfan

Big drawbridge doings today (1/5/10) - two tugs and a barge carrying a large crawler crane and a J. Supor & Son many-axle trailer carrying a very large electrical apparatus came up the Passaic this morning. They attempted to get through Dock (all three bridges needed to open) before AM rush but there were problems with the bridge (PATH service was disrupted for a time). They tied up behind the NJT HQ building and tried again after lunch. This time Dock opened and they proceeded upriver and passed through the ex DL&W swing span just before 2pm. The I-280 Stickel bridge also had to open to allow passage.

In the 18 years I've been working in Newark, this is the first time I've ever seen the I-280 lift bridge open for a vessel movement.

The flotilla seems to be tied up near the Innovation Fuels site near the NX Draw.

The tugs were the "Robert IV" and the smaller "Rae"
 #755641  by Jtgshu

gravelyfan wrote:Big drawbridge doings today (1/5/10) - two tugs and a barge carrying a large crawler crane and a J. Supor & Son many-axle trailer carrying a very large electrical apparatus came up the Passaic this morning. They attempted to get through Dock (all three bridges needed to open) before AM rush but there were problems with the bridge (PATH service was disrupted for a time). They tied up behind the NJT HQ building and tried again after lunch. This time Dock opened and they proceeded upriver and passed through the ex DL&W swing span just before 2pm. The I-280 Stickel bridge also had to open to allow passage.

In the 18 years I've been working in Newark, this is the first time I've ever seen the I-280 lift bridge open for a vessel movement.

The flotilla seems to be tied up near the Innovation Fuels site near the NX Draw.

DAMN, I was up that way and on my way home about 630am...if i knew there was osmething like that in the river, I would have stopped and watched the show...i did hear the traffic reprots on 95.5 that the Dock drawbridge for Path wasn't working as intended and that service was suspended. Joe Nolan actually said Dock drawbridge a few times, I was impressed!
 #756013  by cruiser939

Newark Draw is scheduled to be open tonight at 10:50pm. Don't know for sure, but I'd imagine it's for the vessels return trip. Might be an opportunity to see Stickel open again also.
 #756078  by wolfboy8171981

gravelyfan wrote:Big drawbridge doings today (1/5/10) - two tugs and a barge carrying a large crawler crane and a J. Supor & Son many-axle trailer carrying a very large electrical apparatus came up the Passaic this morning. They attempted to get through Dock (all three bridges needed to open) before AM rush but there were problems with the bridge (PATH service was disrupted for a time). They tied up behind the NJT HQ building and tried again after lunch. This time Dock opened and they proceeded upriver and passed through the ex DL&W swing span just before 2pm. The I-280 Stickel bridge also had to open to allow passage.

Point No Point was opened too
 #756318  by sullivan1985

southern sec. kid wrote:i thought that bridge is always open
Point No Point: Shared Assets Bridge by South Kearny Yard.
DOCK Draw: Amtrak/NJT/PATH.
Newark Draw: NJT M&E Line.
NX Draw: Former Erie Newark Branch Bridge. Abandoned in open position.
WR Draw: Former NJT Boonton Line: Abandoned and condemned. Bolted shut.
Lyndhurst Draw: NJT Main Line.
 #757418  by dlagrua

Thanks for sharing the photos. This is a sad reminder of a once great and powerful industrial area that was moved to China over the last 40 years by the CEO's in concert with the politicians. They have systematically destroyed the middle working class, deindustrialized this country and now they wonder why the recession is deepening towards a depression. Just look at the hundreds of abandoned factory buildings alongside any rail line, At one time millions of American workers once made their living there. They also killed off all of the railroads in the NE- NYC, Pennsylvania, Erie, Lackawanna, Jersey Central, Rutland, B&M, Main Central and the list goes on. We have idiots running this country. Need I say more.
 #757435  by R36 Combine Coach

sullivan1985 wrote:
southern sec. kid wrote:i thought that bridge is always open
Point No Point: Shared Assets Bridge by South Kearny Yard.
DOCK Draw: Amtrak/NJT/PATH.
Newark Draw: NJT M&E Line.
NX Draw: Former Erie Newark Branch Bridge. Abandoned in open position.
WR Draw: Former NJT Boonton Line: Abandoned and condemned. Bolted shut.
Lyndhurst Draw: NJT Main Line.
WR is actuallly permanently welded shut. Lyndhurst Draw is bolted shut, 48 hour notice.