Railroad Forums 

• NX Draw - Newark, NJ

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#214718  by sullivan1985

Only one photo for now, but plenty more photography coming of this bridge tomorrow and possibly the Bergen Arches and the few remaining bridges and signal stands of the Pavonia Erie Yard.

Railway To Heaven

I know there is a thread about this bridge already, but I wanted to start this new one for the pictures I'll be posting tomorrow afternoon if that's OK with the moderator.

#214823  by nick11a

Hahaha. Very funny Mike. :-) And a very interesting photo btw. When I die, I wouldn't mind seeing something like that.

#216746  by sullivan1985

As promised, and delayed (sorry) here are more shots from in and around NX Draw.

Railway To Heaven
Reach for The Sky I
Reach For The Sky II
Old Rail
NK MP 7.96
Urban Ruin
Destroyed Machinery *

Photos taken by a friend of mine deviantART; the-swede:

NX Drawbridge
Gears *

* Taken from way up in the control room that burnt up, ultimately spelling the fate for the bridge. I have plans to return to this bridge again when the weather warms up again.

My next area to shoot is going to be the Bergen Arches and the remains of the Erie Pavonia Yards.

I'm also planning to do a full walk one of these days from Clair to the west end of DB along the old Boonton Line.[/url]

#216775  by Charlie7

Nice shots. When was the last time this bridge was used? I see it all the time when I'm in East Newark. What are the rails within the rails for?

Charlie

#216792  by sullivan1985

Charlie7 wrote:Nice shots. When was the last time this bridge was used? I see it all the time when I'm in East Newark. What are the rails within the rails for?

Charlie
Late 60's I'm guessing is the last time this bridge saw any rail service. As for the rail within the gauge, those are found on many railroad bridges. Best I can say is it help keep the ties from warping.

#216825  by Ken W2KB

sullivan1985 wrote:
Charlie7 wrote:Nice shots. When was the last time this bridge was used? I see it all the time when I'm in East Newark. What are the rails within the rails for?

Charlie
Late 60's I'm guessing is the last time this bridge saw any rail service. As for the rail within the gauge, those are found on many railroad bridges. Best I can say is it help keep the ties from warping.
Very interesting photos. The rails inside the gauge are "guard rails" and their purpose is in the event of a derailment to keep the trucks moving along laterally rather than going off to the side and damaging the bridge or in open deck design bridges off into the river or whatever is being crossed.

When a wheel or wheels falls off the tracks in a derailment it bounces along on the ties and is constrained from lateral movement by the regular rail in one direction and the guard rail in the other direction so the derailed car can't move sideways more than the distance between the regular and guard rails.

#216909  by Jtgshu

The guard rails have come into play in both derailments at Portal Draw - the Amtrak train in 1996 (the Fast Mail was it?) which went off into the swamp at the east end of the bridge, and the NJT derailement in 2003. 3920 actually derailed just east of Swift interlocking, and bounced along the rails until it hit something to knock it off, which ended up being a switch at Portal (the crossovers, not the moveable bridge. the Guard rail keep the wheels that were derailed from moving around on the softer wood of the bridge (compared to the concrete ties) and kept the train from falling off into the River or Swamps.

#218184  by peconicstation

Charlie
The last Freight to roll over the NX bridge was in December of '77.
Prior to that there was a day shift operator assigned to the bridge Monday to Friday. One day he was given orders to report to the yard office for a new assignment, and that was that. The bridge spent most of that winter (77-78) intact, but once the weather got warmer, and word got out that the bridge was not being used, it fast become a hangout and that when most of the equipement was destroyed.

Commuter Service last ran on the Newark Branch in October of'66.

In 82 or 83 the bridge was used for a scene in the movie Annie. I often wonder if prior to the filming they reinfornced the bridge in some way to ensure that it would not slam shut.

As you can see it was a double track bridge, but the branch and the bridge were single tracked at some point in the 60's. The branch itself was always single tracked west of the 4th street station in Newark.

Despite how many years that it has sat unused, and the condition of the gearing, could this bridge ever be used again?

Ken

Part of how I know this information is I grew up in Kearny, and I used to take the then Route 41 Bus to school (Seton Hall) every morning, and we would pass right under the branch. At the base of the bridge used to be a Jeep Dealer and Auto Shop (it;s now a used car dealer) the lead mechanic was a big rail fan, and family friend. In fact he called us the day the bridge operator came by to say goodbye. He also got his picture taken with the Annie cast when they were filming.

Ken

#218243  by Someone named Mike

I've always been interested in the Newark Branch since I live really close to it in Clifton.

I went to the airport about a week ago, I never realized just how huge the bridge is until now.

#220440  by maddog5150

Mike,

Great shots and I enjoyed browsing your on-line gallery.

I'm a fellow KM 7D user as well and would love to chat with you sometime and compare notes on how you're enjoying the 7D with railroad photography. Too bad Konica-Minolta is going the way of the steam locomotive next month after being sold to Sony.

Pete

#245083  by Irish Chieftain

Will I be forever bothered by waste like this...? You never see any road bridges stuck in the up position like that. No, we just can't have any nasty commuter trains taking people from the old second-level platforms at Paterson through Clifton and Belleville (the Nutley NIMBYs can hold their peace) across that bridge into Kearny and on to Hoboken, past all the massive traffic on NJ 3 and I-280...(no, driving up to Delawanna or Lyndhurst, or down to Newark Penn, isn't enough, sorry)

#245087  by sullivan1985

In fact, there was a crew from some railroad construction company (Not RRCC) taking rails up from on of the tracks at the Grant Ave crossing.

I guess the rails are going to be put in use somewhere else.

#440447  by sixty-six

Thanks for posting! I always wanted to see that!