Railroad Forums 

• Whippany Railway Museum Official Thread

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#111363  by njt4172

Anyone have any pictures of the engine when it ran out of Whippany??? How many years did it run? 1974-1978??

Thanks,
Steve

#112027  by njt4172

It's now March 30th and I haven't heard anything on this matter....What went on at the meeting on March 23rd??

Thanks,
Steve

#112144  by Ken W2KB

Chris,

Some grants I've seen are set up as reimbursements. First, the grantee must front the money for each milestone, and then submit a voucher and proof of work completed for reimbursement. I wonder if this is the issue? No-one able to front the money for each milestone in the restoration.
 #203927  by caboose9

Hi,

At one time, CNJ 91145 caboose was reported to be at the Whippany Railway Museum. Several years ago it was reported as "gone".

Would the above be a wood, cupola, caboose, built in 1942?

Does anyone know what happened to this hack?

Thanks, Roger
 #219725  by gravelyfan

caboose9 wrote:Hi,

At one time, CNJ 91145 caboose was reported to be at the Whippany Railway Museum. Several years ago it was reported as "gone".

Thanks, Roger
I believe there is a caboose (privately owned) stored at Whippany, my recollection is the number is 91529. It's a steel car.
 #219841  by caboose9

"I believe there is a caboose (privately owned) stored at Whippany, my recollection is the number is 91529. It's a steel car."

Correct.
 #220428  by Ken W2KB

caboose9 wrote:Hi,

Thanks, Roger
There is a CNJ wooden caboose at Phillipsburg, NJ alongside the former CNJ track of the Lehigh Line. Could be the same one?

#220944  by myfavscr

I took a picture of a caboose in Philipsburg a couple of weeks back.

http://waspics.rrpicturearchives.net/sh ... ?id=297666

Different number on it then the one KEN W2KB was looking for.
But there was another one there that was really beat up with no markings on it.

#220980  by caboose9

myfavscr said, "In Philipsburg, there was another one that was really beat up with no markings on it."

Hi,

Wood, cupola, L&HR 13/18 & 16 are both reported to be at this site in Phillipsburg, NJ.

Thanks, Roger
 #473182  by NJTRailfan

I've noticed alot of Obs cars at the Whippany Railway Museum. They have the M&E numbers on. Will these be used for charters and if so how will they be repainted? I've noticed an obs car and another car (not an obs) painted in a funky looking blue and gold scheme and I did recall there was maybe one or two more with the M&E numbers. Will they be repainted and added to charter service?

#473824  by green_elite_cab

myfavscr wrote:I took a picture of a caboose in Philipsburg a couple of weeks back.

http://waspics.rrpicturearchives.net/sh ... ?id=297666

Different number on it then the one KEN W2KB was looking for.
But there was another one there that was really beat up with no markings on it.
that looks like CNJ 91297. Can anyone help me identify the type of caboose this is? I just rebuilt one (CNJ 91291) for my Eagle Scout Service Project. After doing so much work on it, i'm alittle more interested in it's history.

here is some pictures of what it used to look like... Its located in Pemberton, NJ.

While we installed the wood right over the windows, They can still be cut out in the future. Its better now that the caboose is all sealed up, and it won't rot anymore. Some of the rot damage on this thing was amazing. Ironically, the side you can see in this picture was in pretty good shape. It was the back side (which had lots of patches) that had a huge rot hole in one corner. we put in a sister block to replace some of the rotted sill, and some new structure, although the wall had rotted out so it is removed. Right now, the caboose is stable, and will stand another couple decades, and hopefully by then more work can be done to make it look good again. For now, the Purple Primer coat will have to do it!

I was told the caboose lacked steps, and new end platforms will probably be next. right now though, my project is over, so those will have to be for the museum on another day.

#474022  by caboose9

green_elite_cab wrote, "That looks like CNJ 91297."

It should look like CNJ 91197, since that's its number. I believe it was converted from a boxcar to a caboose in 1902. Roger

#497994  by GSC

Definitely a class NEa wooden caboose.

91155-91395 were rebuilt mostly from NJ Southern 31000-series boxcars from 1902 to 1921, class NE. Beginning in 1921, CNJ began rebuilding the wood units with steel underframes, becoming class NEa.

The remaining wood units were taken out of service in 1972, when the federal safety rules changed concerning arch-bar trucks.

Two NEa hacks exist at Pine Creek RR at Allaire, 91155 (in service) and 91245 (the "before" view). www.njmt.org

91155 was the first wood unit rebuilt, and the first of the eight-wheel cabooses on the CNJ. Why they started the numbering at 91155 is still a mystery.

#498414  by GSC

Further trivia:

As I posted in the other Pemberton caboose thread, this is probably a real oldtimer. CNJ 91155 at Allaire was rebuilt from NJS boxcar 31943, that built in 1874.

As converted, CNJ wood cabooses had vertical tongue & groove siding. Most later were resided with plywood.

Have to do some investigation, but the remaining wood CNJ hacks were all retired in 1972, the federal banning of archbar, Andrews, and other old-style trucks and K-air brake systems.

She's rough in those pics, but she's still a beauty!