Railroad Forums 

• Ironbound area local freight

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1461984  by rr503

Hey all,

I was thinking of exploring the Ironbound area of Newark, and taking a drive down Doremus Ave some Saturday in the near future. What's the deal with Conrail in that area? Which train switches all those industries up towards the Passaic/along Doremus avenue? Do they run on weekends? Does that yard at Wilson Avenue see any activity on weekends?

More generally, if I'm looking for shootable local freight action in northern NJ on a weekend, do y'all have any recommendations?

TIA
 #1462269  by ccutler

Actually not much left there other than large-scale trash hauling. Google maps offers a good guide to where things are to be seen. Just south of there is Port Newark, where there should still be a fair amount of switching consignees.
 #1462325  by rr503

I was under the impression that access/photography were restricted on PANYNJ grounds. Is this not the case?
 #1463055  by Ken W2KB

rr503 wrote:I was under the impression that access/photography were restricted on PANYNJ grounds. Is this not the case?
Here is an news article from a few years ago that indicates that non-commercial photography is allowed:

Fair use quote: "According to a spokesman for the Port Authority, which oversees most of the ports, bridges, airports, and tunnels in the area, those shooting commercial photographs or video must apprise the authority in advance of their intentions. That means commercial photographs, taken by companies. Individuals do not have the same restriction – and the policies are not related to terrorism.

“Sometimes equipment is intrusive, and the Port Authority would like to know where those companies are, so that passenger movement is not put into any kind of danger or delay by that,” said spokesman Joe Pentangelo.

The guidelines don’t apply to the general public.

“For civilians, people who are just taking a photograph, that does not apply,” Pentangelo said. “Citizens are allowed to engage in photography at all Port Authority venues unless it’s a secure or off-limits location.”

http://www.hudsonreporter.com/view/full ... eographers
 #1463165  by chuchubob

GojiMet86 wrote:Is PATH included as well?
PATH still effectively has a photo ban. Photography on PATH property is permitted only with prior authorization and with a PATH employee accompanying the photographer.
 #1465610  by Joseph DeLuisi

There is plenty of rail freight activity in the Ironbound section of Newark. Most industries that receive rail service come out of the Oak Island yard and will have the prefix OI. Just some companies that I know that get serviced are: Anheuser Busch, Atlas Refinery on Lockwood St, Benjamin Moore on Lister Ave, that brick yard on Wilson Ave, can't remember their name at the moment, more than a few chemical companies on Doremus Ave., As far as I know Naporano is OOB, as is Nimco Shredding which was their sister company. There is no more Newark Farmers Market, they used to be rail served three days a week. I don't know if them brand new warehouses (logistics centers) have sidings. Brill's Yard near Ave P is still in operation, Epic trash/solid waste mostly. The Bayshore Branch and the Manufacturers Branch are still used. Port Newark Yard on Corbin St is very active, jobs with the PN prefix. A little bit west of the Ironbound section on Poiner St is a big lumber yard that is switched daily, and there is a team track on Frelinghuysen Ave & E.Peddie St that gets reefers for a company called M.Bross Produce, they transload to a truck. Also on Frelinghuysen Ave a recycling company called AMG Resources is rail served. I'm sure that I'm leaving a lot out, but freight rail activity in the Ironbound section of Newark is alive and well.
 #1465884  by Joseph DeLuisi

According to Google Nimco Shredding on Doremus Ave is still in business and I believe they're rail served, also Naporano is now known as Sims Metals Management, and I know that they are served by rail. Any other industries in the Ironbound section of Newark that I'm leaving out?
 #1465889  by ccutler

Perhaps I misunderstood the intent of the question. If you look up the area on Google maps called the "Ironbound District of Newark," there you will find very few rail-served industries remaining, and the former CNJ branches going into that area are truncated and lightly used, within the Ironbound District itself. However, yes, in the broader Newark area, there is a vast amount of rail activity and rail-served customers.
 #1467502  by ANRP2

Did you ever meander to the port?
rr503 wrote:Thanks for the info! Port will be on my list for my next meander.
 #1467695  by rr503

ANRP2 wrote:Did you ever meander to the port?
rr503 wrote:Thanks for the info! Port will be on my list for my next meander.
Not yet, no. Been too caught up in work.

I did do the Ironbound trip though, back on one cloudy day in feb. No trains, as it was a Saturday, but lots of moody B/W shots of decaying industries/trackage. I'm gonna keep all this advice in mind for whenever I can find the time for another trip to the area.

Thanks again to all!