Railroad Forums 

• Black River & W. affiliate to replace M&E ops Morris County

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1433772  by Angus202

Where will the new operation be based from? e.g. Where will they store & fuel locomotives, where will the crews go on duty? The M&E seems comparatively better equipped, having their shop right alongside Baker interlocking. I recall HO-2 would regularly refuel Tuesday mornings at the Morristown shop as well.

Seems like they'll need some sort of operational base in the area, though I can't think of anywhere suitable along the lines they're working.

Also interesting they've listed D&R junction as an interchange point. Other than ~2 car lengths of stub track, it's quite a ways to anywhere you can switch cars (Rockaway transload?). Could make some for some interesting long distance shoving moves.
 #1433780  by blockline4180

Yeah this whole thing remains to be seen.
I keep hearing a few Black River SW1500's based at Chester Junction. Word is they will also be borrowing a few cab signal equiped NS engines to move cars from Chester to Wharton to forward cars to the D&R. Yes, all this seems convoluted and quite hard to imagine, but Im sure there are plans in place. If there aren't, then as others have said customer service will go downhill.
All we can do is hope for the best at this point.
 #1433861  by Ken W2KB

Angus202 wrote:Where will the new operation be based from? e.g. Where will they store & fuel locomotives, where will the crews go on duty? The M&E seems comparatively better equipped, having their shop right alongside Baker interlocking. I recall HO-2 would regularly refuel Tuesday mornings at the Morristown shop as well.

Seems like they'll need some sort of operational base in the area, though I can't think of anywhere suitable along the lines they're working.

Also interesting they've listed D&R junction as an interchange point. Other than ~2 car lengths of stub track, it's quite a ways to anywhere you can switch cars (Rockaway transload?). Could make some for some interesting long distance shoving moves.
I have been on several occasions a passenger on Amtrak long distance trains that had the locomotives refueled enroute by a local fuel merchant. The merchant used a truck identical to those which deliver home heating oil (essentially similar to diesel fuel). The location was a passenger station with 20 minutes or so allocated to the refueling of the locomotives and refilling the passenger cars water tanks.
 #1435833  by CNJ Fan 4evr

I have heard rumors of track re-alignment at PU tower in P'burg in which the Washington secondary would switch off in front of the tower thereby by passing the very LOW bridge on South Main St.Then I have also heard they would lower the roadbed under that bridge. Switching moves out of Hudson would require backing out of the yard over Union Square and across L&HR bridge to Easton switch and then proceed east.Another option is NS dropping cars at the old DL&W Stockton St. yard. Although I'm not sure how much trackage is still there. I know they store work cars there.We'll find out.
 #1435945  by badorder

Suppose to be 3 engines coming for the new operation,2 SW1500s and a SW900,coming from Fairless Pa. Two engines for the D&R and one engine for the Chester/High Bridge Branches, NS will be interchanging with the M&E and D&RR at Chester
Jct. and with the D&RR at D&R Jct. account they have no trackage rights over N.J. Transit as of now.
The D&RR will continue to run the annual "Toys for Tots" Train in December, and this year it will be 9 years running over the County owned branches.
 #1436061  by NYSW2300

badorder wrote:Suppose to be 3 engines coming for the new operation,2 SW1500s and a SW900,coming from Fairless Pa. Two engines for the D&R and one engine for the Chester/High Bridge Branches, NS will be interchanging with the M&E and D&RR at Chester
Jct. and with the D&RR at D&R Jct. account they have no trackage rights over N.J. Transit as of now.
The D&RR will continue to run the annual "Toys for Tots" Train in December, and this year it will be 9 years running over the County owned branches.
BDRV SW1500 #1596,#1567 ( from BDRV at P'burg) and BDRV SW900 #915 are waybilled to Dover.
Also an agreement is in place for M&E to overhead any traffic that may use the interchange at Center St in Harrison, NJ.
 #1436088  by badorder

Good intel....BDRV SW900 #915 and SW1500 #1567 will be assigned the D&R Branch, and SW1500 #1596 will be on the Chester/High Bridge Branches. Inspections by NS for movement fromt P"Burg will be tomorrow,Tuesday,June 27th.for the
2 SW1500's. The SW900 will be inspected by Conrail before moving out of Fairless,Pa.,this week also.
 #1436170  by Matt3010

Bel-Del brought two switchers (units are BR&W SW1500's 1596 & 1597) to Norfolk Southern's Hudson Yard (on the PORS) today for interchange with the H76, with a third unit still pending. The plan is for H76 to take them to Allentown to be added to the H65 consist and taken to Washinton for pick up by H02. These units will be for the Dover & Rockaway River RR operation which begins next week. One unit will be delivered to Wharton for use on the Dover & Rockaway Branch, while the other will be delivered to Chester Jct. for use on the Chester & High Bridge Branches. Since these units aren't equipped with CSS as well as the RR not having qualified crews and no trackage rights (yet), they aren't allowed to operate on NJ Transit. This means that H02 will be trafficking their freight for a few months.
 #1436220  by cjvrr

Hyrail inspection by the new company will occur on Saturday July 1st. It is my understanding that service on the County lines will be M-W-F. Additional days as needed.

A train is scheduled to operate over the Dover & Rockaway Branch on Wednesday July 5th.
 #1436223  by blockline4180

brwfan wrote:BDRV 915 was being brought up and developed a hot wheel. They set it out and it had a minor derailment. I wonder if they will send a different unit or just use two till it's fixed.
It was re-railed as of this morning.... I would think this little blue unit would still go to Dover/D&R Junction/Chester Jct. pending approval and inspection by NS.