Railroad Forums 

• Jersey Central Track Maps Engineering/Drafting Scale?

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1389386  by rrbluesman

OK, I know I'm really reaching, but I have decided to kill some time and transition the paper copies I have of the CNJ into an AutoCAD format. I am an experienced draftsman and architect; I took my draftsman's scale to the track maps and in what I have 1"=1mile. This is where I get lost - Starting from CP Beach (MP 0)there are 2 main tracks represented by parallel solid lines, on paper they are 1/16" apart from one another. When I translate that into the established 1"=1mile scale, 1/16"=330'. Now I know there is not 330' between the two main tracks, but as a draftsman I don't understand how these track maps were actually scaled by the draftsman that prepared them. Can anyone shed some light on this, that being as to why there doesn't seem to be any definitive scale to the track maps?
 #1389498  by CJPat

Solely based on my observation of a few track maps, I would note the following:
a. Width is not scaled. Track maps appear to be generally about distance and elevation at the location points of various crossings, bridges/culverts, and sidings.
b. Length did not appear to necessarily include a specific scale. Most distance was noted via MPs. Just make sure you have the correct MP0. As Roads merged, the MP 0 of one road was used and the other dropped out. I believe that comes into play when you look at the lines like former Erie-Lackawanna.

More of a Surveying Point project than out and out mechanical drafting.

Example:
http://raildata.railfan.net/cnj/homecnj.html
 #1389558  by Ken W2KB

CJPat wrote:Solely based on my observation of a few track maps, I would note the following:
a. Width is not scaled. Track maps appear to be generally about distance and elevation at the location points of various crossings, bridges/culverts, and sidings.
b. Length did not appear to necessarily include a specific scale. Most distance was noted via MPs. Just make sure you have the correct MP0. As Roads merged, the MP 0 of one road was used and the other dropped out. I believe that comes into play when you look at the lines like former Erie-Lackawanna.

More of a Surveying Point project than out and out mechanical drafting.

Example:
http://raildata.railfan.net/cnj/homecnj.html
I believe this is indeed the case. Length of sidings, etc. would often appear in employee timetables. The track maps were primarily to show track configuration, turnouts, culverts, grade crossings and the like. The real estate department would have maintained a separate set of plats with the land boundaries and the like to scale, with metes and bounds.