• Recent Winslow Junction Vandalism?

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

by rrbluesman

I drove through Winslow within the last few days, has there been a recent streak of vandalism there? It looked like a lot of windows in the old passenger cars there have been busted or busted out, I don't remember things being that bad the last I went through there. Is there hope for those old cars anymore?

-Ed
  by CNJ Fan 4evr

There were some broken out last summer when I stopped there. It is a haven for mischief as it is so isolated. What is a crying shame is the F units just sitting there rusting away.
  by rrbluesman

While driving down Spring Road through Winslow Junction tonight I passed by about half a dozen climbing on the roofs of cars, throwing rocks and possibly spikes through windows, and some other vandalism. I drove down to Winslow Manor where I parked and called the Winslow Police, who responded to Winslow Junction within 10 minutes. Note, I called the police immediately and did not stop to reprimand or interfere with what I saw at the yard. After I got home I wrote the SRNJ (JP Rail Inc) to let them know what I saw and that I contacted the police about the matter. I'm posting this for opinions on if my actions were responsible and appropriate for the incident.
  by SemperFidelis

Best response. Police get paid quite well to deal with criminals and are armed like a right wing militiaman's dirty dream these days. There is no reason for a (presumably) unarmed and untrained civilian to interfere with criminals who may or may not be armed. Heck, even if one is armed and/or trained, there is no reason (aside from protection of life) for a party to get involved in such a situation.