Railroad Forums 

• Abandoned Locomotives?

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1329879  by Fencer

A while ago I was tracking an abandoned RR from the air and saw a row of a locomotives. Located by Dover, NJ. They seem to be preserved but don't look pretty. What are they?

#1329959  by DutchRailnut

just because NJT stores the ALP 44 on their owned track, don't assume their abandoned ?? just sayinn.
 #1329983  by Fencer

Fencer,
While I will grant that there is probably no extant common carrier authority on the Cutoff, what is the legal rationale for stating that either locomotives stored on their owner' real estate or the real estate itself is in fact abandoned?

GME
Hi GME,
I am very new to RR without previous experience. Observed those machines for some time without any activities or movements around them and thought why not to ask on respectable forum. No legal rationale. Thanks for clarifying.
 #1329993  by scottychaos

Trainlawyer wrote:Fencer,
While I will grant that there is probably no extant common carrier authority on the Cutoff, what is the legal rationale for stating that either locomotives stored on their owner' real estate or the real estate itself is in fact abandoned?

GME
There is no legal rationale..
The reason the O.P. said the railroad line, and the locomotives were " abandoned" is obvious: simple ignorance. ;)
(I don't mean that as a "put down"..not everyone knows everything..)
Scot
 #1330117  by ccutler

Fencer,

Thanks for posting the aerial photos!

Those locomotives look to be in a remote location, that is hopefully secure and far from most "taggers;" but if they are not in a secure area, it may only be a matter of time before they are "discovered" and vandalized.

I wouldn't leave $50MM+ of equipment out in the forest, but hey, NJ Transit has done worse.
 #1330126  by cjvrr

I think these are the retired AEM-7s that NJT has been replacing with the newer units. They are stored waiting disposition.
 #1330239  by JPG76

ccutler wrote:Fencer,

Thanks for posting the aerial photos!

Those locomotives look to be in a remote location, that is hopefully secure and far from most "taggers;" but if they are not in a secure area, it may only be a matter of time before they are "discovered" and vandalized.

I wouldn't leave $50MM+ of equipment out in the forest, but hey, NJ Transit has done worse.
While the picture does look like they are in a remote area they are actually right off a main line and close to a yard.
 #1330253  by dowlingm

ccutler wrote:I wouldn't leave $50MM+ of equipment out in the forest, but hey, NJ Transit has done worse.
Is that how much scrap copper from the transformers is worth these days?
 #1331110  by kilroy

Those are most of the ALP-44s that were retires when they took delivery of the 46s. I think they are still for sale but if SEPTA or MARC aren't buying, then there's not going to be a buyer - except for scrap.
 #1331296  by scottso699

What was the reason for retiring these anyway? I know they got the ALP-46s and those new hybrid Electric/Diesel Electric engines but these didn't seem to be in bad shape - and from what I remember only had a HP rating slightly smaller than the ALP-46s.
 #1331395  by scottso699

dowlingm wrote:
scottso699 wrote:What was the reason for retiring these anyway? I know they got the ALP-46s and those new hybrid Electric/Diesel Electric engines but these didn't seem to be in bad shape - and from what I remember only had a HP rating slightly smaller than the ALP-46s.
http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopi ... 4#p1036381
Oh. Yeah. Having no parts makes it hard to maintain or rebuild a loco. I forgot they were over 20 years old.