Railroad Forums 

• Bound Book freight train watching

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1319096  by zz14

My last few trips to Bound Brook have been pretty unproductive. Can anybody tell me the best times for freight watching?

Thanks
 #1319165  by waldwickrailfan

zz14 wrote:My last few trips to Bound Brook have been pretty unproductive. Can anybody tell me the best times for freight watching?

Thanks

Usually early morning and after sunset. Inbounds show up around 9am-noon, then outbounds from 8pm-2am. 5am-6am is also pretty busy. My friend caught 10 trains in that time span a few weeks ago. If you are willing to spend a full day, do it. I do it once a week and catch many great things throughout the day.
 #1319215  by BigDell

WaldwickRailFan, thanks for that info. I'm planning a trip over there in Spring. Where's the best place to park yourself for the 5am-noon "session"? I want to make best use of my time since I don't get out there often. Would it be right in the station or somewhere along the ROW?
Thanks!
Bigdell
 #1319241  by waldwickrailfan

BigDell wrote:WaldwickRailFan, thanks for that info. I'm planning a trip over there in Spring. Where's the best place to park yourself for the 5am-noon "session"? I want to make best use of my time since I don't get out there often. Would it be right in the station or somewhere along the ROW?
Thanks!
Bigdell
I would say the Bound Brook station would get the most action. I'm not definitely saying it will happen like that, but most of the time, my friends and I are out at that time and we catch a lot between those times. Cause of the snow recently, the "morning rush" ends around 2pm lol