Railroad Forums 

• Conrail Lehigh Line Train Watching Spots Question

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1285895  by bbobes327

Outside of the Bound Brook, Union, and Roselle Park train stations, where are good places to go and watch some trains away from grade crossings?
Are there places from Manville to Newark where I can legally get pretty close to the right-of-way without worrying about traffic or police?
 #1286188  by BigDell

Also, in Edison, the Crossing at Tingly Ln. On the other side of the border in Clark is Oak Ridge Park, the mainline runs behind it and there are terrific spots alongside the mainline, actually touching the border of the park, to set up and shoot. You can see the trains coming from a LONG way off, so plenty of time to set up - plus when there is no action the park is nice. In Autumn, the leaves are great.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Oak+R ... cb1ddc4dba" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Note the train in the Google Satellite photo running by the park!
 #1303076  by CNJ Fan 4evr

Don't forget the bridge over the old CNJ at Aldene. I'm hoping for decent weather Sunday so I can get some shots in Roselle Park and/or So. Plainfiled. Have been re-filming the "heritage lines" these past two years. I had stuff from late 90's-2001 but so much has changed. Liked the Conrail era much better than NS. WE used to have many general merchandise freights. Now it is mostly intermodal and autoracks. Even the unit ethanol/oil trains are boring now. Only fun is IF you can catch heritage units or foreign power that isn't UP or BNSF. :wink: