Railroad Forums 

• Railfan and Railroad Magazine Problem

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1288731  by njmidland

This was just posted at RYPN:
Here's the official announcement:

"Carstens Publications has announced that negotiations are taking place with several companies regarding the future publishing of Railfan & Railroad, Railroad Model Craftsman and Flying Models magazines. All involved ask for your patience at this time."

On a personal note, I'm talking with a few R&R alumni to provide features for Railfan's 40th anniversary issue in November. Stay tuned!

Newton, NJ
 #1288740  by Otto Vondrak

I am echoing the official press release from Carstens Publications:
Carstens Publications has announced that negotiations are taking place with several companies regarding the future publishing of Railfan & Railroad, Railroad Model Craftsman, and Flying Models magazines. All involved ask for your patience at this time.
-otto vondrak
associate editor, railfan & railroad magazine
 #1288935  by MissTheMEC

From the RMC Facebook page:
"It is with regret that Carstens Publicatons, Inc. will be closing permanently at close of business on Friday, August 22, 2014. Carstens Publications, Inc. has been a leading publisher of leading hobby magazines for over 50 years. Unfortunately the current economic climate has placed us in this position. Discussion is continuing with several parties who expressed desire to take on the continuance of the magazines. At this point there is still hope that all three titles will remain in existence. But I can offer no guarantees. We thank you for your patronage over the years, and wish you the best of luck in your endeavors.
--Henry R. Carstens, President
Carstens Publications, Inc."
 #1288941  by NJ Operation Lifesaver

I'd like to take this opportunity to publicly thank the Carstens and their staff for the support which they have shown for Operation Lifesaver over the years, both here in New Jersey and nationally. I wish you all well and I'm certain we'll be hearing from you again soon.
 #1288997  by Sir Ray

Don't they have a rather extensive library of books and videos too?
The folks at Model Railroad Hobbyist seemed a bit surprised, so I guess that they are not one of the prospective buyers.

Actually, what hobby publishers beside Kalmbach are out there now?
 #1289113  by MACTRAXX

MissTheMEC wrote:From the RMC Facebook page:
"It is with regret that Carstens Publicatons, Inc. will be closing permanently at close of business on Friday, August 22, 2014. Carstens Publications, Inc. has been a leading publisher of leading hobby magazines for over 50 years. Unfortunately the current economic climate has placed us in this position. Discussion is continuing with several parties who expressed desire to take on the continuance of the magazines. At this point there is still hope that all three titles will remain in existence. But I can offer no guarantees. We thank you for your patronage over the years, and wish you the best of luck in your endeavors.
Everyone: As Glenn mentions losing another facet of the rail hobby I will second that thought and seeing Carstens Publications
going out of the publishing business is disheartening to many of us...They will be missed...

Another thought: Can another publishing company take over and revive these publications similar to how White River Productions
brought back "Passenger Train Journal" ?

MACTRAXX
 #1289247  by Gilbert B Norman

From private face to face sources, I have learned that "something could happen" and that both R&R and RMC could resume publication.

So who knows.

But should Carstens Publications petition for Bankruptcy, be it a "7" (shut'er down and divvy up what's left) or an "11" (let's continue but clip everybody a bit), that would be public record.

(same material also posted at Model Trains Forum)
 #1289255  by NYS&W142Fan

I guess for those of us with subscriptions left, we can "kiss" them good bye. I have two years left on mine.

I'm sorry to see the magazine go, but if it does come back, after being stuck for two years worth, I would have a hard time justifying subscribing again.

I would hope something is done for those of us who still have subscriptions.
 #1289268  by Gilbert B Norman

Mr. Susie, I'm not a lawyer (retired CPA), but I would think holders of unexpired subscriptions would stand as a General Creditor in a bankruptcy proceeding - same standing as would the printer they appeared to have been"stiffing".
 #1289337  by Sir Ray

Gilbert B Norman wrote:From private face to face sources, I have learned that "something could happen" and that both R&R and RMC could resume publication.
Wasn't this already stated in the Carsten's Facebook posting:
Discussion is continuing with several parties who expressed desire to take on the continuance of the magazines. At this point there is still hope that all three titles will remain in existence.
Do you have more concrete knowledge?
 #1289367  by BigDell

Railroad Model Craftsman
A pity. I always preferred this magazine to "Model Railroader". It's tough for ALL magazines these days (a dear friend was the chief of production at Newsweek several years ago, I watched that magazine go from a national powerhouse to a thin shadow of it's former self. Here's hoping RMC and the others are "bought up" and can continue to be published. It seems the hobby itself is still quite strong (it's certainly more expensive to be a modeler now, as we all want DCC equipped locos running $200-$300 - and good equipment doesn't come cheap) - it's a pity the publishing branch of the hobby is suffering....
 #1290335  by MACTRAXX

MACTRAXX wrote:
MissTheMEC wrote:From the RMC Facebook page:
Everyone: As Glenn mentions losing another facet of the rail hobby I will second that thought and seeing Carstens Publications
going out of the publishing business is disheartening to many of us...They will be missed...

Another thought: Can another publishing company take over and revive these publications similar to how White River Productions
brought back "Passenger Train Journal" ?

Everyone: With the news of White River Productions buying Carstens titles like "Railfan and Railroad" it seems like they
wasted no time acquiring this publication knowing how respected it was among the rail enthusiast community...

I was not expecting a prediction (if you can call it that) like this to come true so quickly...
The print media can still hold its own against modern technology like the Internet...

MACTRAXX
 #1290825  by Otto Vondrak

Railfan & Railroad is now property of White River Productions. I'll continue as associate editor under Steve Barry. Work has already begun on the next edition.

http://www.modelrailroadnews.com/PDF/WR ... 140829.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

-otto-