Railroad Forums 

• The 2002 Tremley Point Waste Transfer station proposal?

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1283822  by Sir Ray

Whatever happened to the Tremley Point Waste Transfer station proposal from a little more than a decade ago?
I presume it was never built, and probably won't since the purpose (handling containers of NYC MSW) seems to have been subsumed by the NYC Sanitation station transfer station at the end of the West Shore branch in Staten Island

As is all to common, references to this project are fragmentary (here's a link to the NJ Legislative bill authorizing the transfer station, no idea if it passed). The Block 587, Lot 8 referred to in the bill seems to be this location, which Google Maps claims is imagery from this year, and which in any case does NOT feature a bustling, fully operational waste transfer station.

So the question is what went wrong...
 #1283858  by CJPat

Is it too much of a stretch to note that the "article" was written /posted in Oct 2005 indicating Clayton buying the property for a Cement Receiving operation, and then Clayton began the clearing of the rail line from their sand pit in Woodmansie to the Shared assets junction in Lakehursta year later in Oct 2006 all at the time when "THE" tunnel was gearing up to complete design and go to build at a site not that far from Linden?

It may be nothing more than continued speculation, but we never really new why Clayton was clearing the Woodmansie ROW. It was just speculation that it was to support THE tunnel construction when it got underway, so maybe this is just further evidence that backs up that speculation. They just needed stone to complete the recipe and they could have the capacity to delivered a HUGE quantity of concrete to THE tunel.

Once THE tunnel project was terminated, Clayton wouldn't need to complete a big facility and the support rail (evidenced that the ROW only had some slight maintenance done to it over the last 8 years (yes it has been that long). I gues Clayton never found another big customer. I guess the Tappan Zee Bridge is a little too far for him to ship product too.

From a business perspective, $18 mil would have been a huge advance investment if this was for THE tunnel. How would he have known that he would have been selected as the concrete supplier, unless he needed to have an operation in place to even be considered?
 #1284295  by CJPat

Without a good understanding of how the bureacracy works (as opposed to how it was intended to work), I imagine/guess that once the package of papers was approved, it was moved to the next Inbox for processing and then on-to the next Inbox and so on and so on. Somewhere down the creeping bureacratic conveyor belt, people probably stop paying attention to what the Package is about (not their job to care!) and focus more about handing it off to someone else's Inbox as a kind of slowman's version of hot potatoe. So as the glacier speeds past their window outside, it becomes more important to receive the right sign off rather than what it's for so they can get the anonomous paper package (1 iof 1 million) off their desk and pick up the next package. Eventually it pops out the otherside and someone cuts a check (because it was approved, naturally).

I tend to think the rebuilding of the grade crossings in Whiting were process the same way. The request for grade crossing refurbishment was probably made on the same day Clayton hired the first Grubbing and Clearing crew to cut down the trees in the gage.

I hear they just issued a subsidy check for Amelia Earhart's expected second flight around the globe!
 #1284643  by Splatz

(I am compelled to advise our moderator that this newly minted thread has quickly devolved into speculation outside of where we expertly beat this dead steed senseless. I move that these proceedings....move back to where we regard this sort of speculation as fact.)

The bureaucracy, not the rail movement, in West Trenton (DOT Headquarters) being as calcified as here in main Trenton could mean that all of the activity was only ever intended for ARC and that all the continuing activity, including that of a piecemeal sort way further up the line from Woodmansie is but owed to the self-perpetuating bureaucracy government always is when viewed through the prism of the private sector.

Eternally the optimist I infer that the reason absent a reason for the improved rail crossings, the piecemeal replacement of ties, the clearing of sand from the ROW at the former Heritage Minerals site, the annual complete clearing Lakehurst to Woodmansie of the ROW two to three years running, the initial aggressive removing between the ties of tree stumps, the installation of state-of-the-art crossing equipment, the installation of state-of-the-art highway roadbed improvements (two to the most heavily traveled north south thoroughfares in the county, (Rt. 530 and Rt.539), the rigorous testing of said equipment, the lecture series schedule on crossing safety for affected senior villages, to say nothing of two of the line's interested parties Conrail and Mr. Machrie showing up at an obscure hearing on the Colonial Drive crossing as recently as two months ago and finally the approval of the detailed NJDOT Rail Plan Grant to rehab the entire 13 mile stretch does not augur well for an idea that this is just another cog in the endlessly turning bureaucratic wheel soon to hit the station bumper.

Nope I am introducing the idea that there is in fact a public transit zealot deep cover in the DOT who is taking advantage of the fact that the ARC tunnel is kaput and is, as all zealots must, seeing to his mad plan to preserve this portion of rail transportation in Ocean County....perhaps for a future generation who have more brains than this one by using the nature of self perpetuating bureaucracy to assure success.

Talk about a mad genius.
 #1284816  by CJPat

I can appreciate your enthusiasm! I move we request the moderator to place this thread into the Inbox for processing. :P

Now is there any updated info on the Tremley Point Property that could indicate future rail usage?